D430 - A few things which bother(ed) me

Zeppo

Well, since some time now my D430 is working like a charm. At least as long as I don't try to use my docking station. :(

But there are a few things which bothered or still bother me. Like docking station issue. Is there a solution for this, which I haven't found yet?

Issue I just solved: dim screen. No matter what I did, my screen was dim, even if I turned the brightness to the max in BIOS and in OS X, using Fn+F12 keys. I read that some other people had the same issue. Here what I did: I found out that turning off the Surrounding Light Sensor in BIOS solves this. Since I turned this "feature" off, it's working great. I even need to dim it down manually now and than (Fn+F5 keys), since it is too bright in some cases. And power management (screen going dimmer if no activity) is still working. Go figure!

Issue still there: sound volume. It's low. It's as low that Skype conversations are barely hearable. Watch a movie is a no go. I had no issues like that using Windows. Volume was usually set in the middle of the scale. I could watch movies, Skype and what not. All with volume in the middle. There is nothing I can turn on or off in BIOS (or I just oversaw it), like with dim screen.

Any ideas how to solve this?

There are some really minor irks as well (like temperature raising above 70°C now and than, although I have paid CoolBook with 55°C throttling enabled; biometric reader recognizing my finger print 1 out of 20 tries; mouse losing it's left button after the sleep now and than)... but... hey, I still have a nice HackAir with almost all things fine. So, I don't complain.

• Administrators

you can do alot for the heating, if you replace the pillows with copper plates and use silver paste instead.

My finger print reader works fine, and when it dosent, i'm properly just a idiot and use it wrong :)

Did you try the new mouse driver (slice version) from EDP 1.6 ? ... as for audio.. nope.. i never paid any notice to it.. mine works "as expected"...

Is your screen still dimmed after boot ?

you can do alot for the heating, if you replace the pillows with cobber plates and use silver paste instead.

OK. I need to try that. I saw one thread with something about those plates and paste. I believe you were the one who wrote it. Which products have you used?

My finger print reader works fine, and when it dosent, i'm properly just a idiot and use it wrong :)

Well, since my reader doesn't I am probably an... oh, wait... nah! There must be another explanation. :)

Did you try the new mouse driver (slice version) from EDP 1.6 ? ... as for audio.. nope.. i never paid any notice to it.. mine works "as expected"...

Not yet. I thought it's kinda experimental. But I'll give it a try.

Is your screen still dimmed after boot ?

Nope. It's all bright and shiny now.

OK, I have installed slice's PS2 kext.

After using it for a day or two now, I have experienced a weird behavior: after my machine came back from sleep, my keyboard and trackpad were both dead. However, my external USB mouse was working. Without support for the left button though. I could only use the right one.

However, this didn't help a lot: the parts (but only parts!) of the UI were frozen. I could access the menu bar icons and programs behind them, but not the menues themselves. Not even the apple logo. Hence, I couldn't reboot the machine (keyboard and trackpad being dead and no apple menue). I decided to wait a bit and didn't power down the machine (had some unfinished work in there). Hence, the machine went back to sleep again after a while. After I woke it up again, everything was working again.

Well, although it does not necessarily need to be related to the driver itself, I didn't have this kind of behavior before. Even if trackpad and external mouse lost their ways, the keyboard was still working. However, I had this weird behavior only once now. So, it might be something completely different causing this. I'l watch this closely and report if this repeats.