Quick Question

I also was reading on the hp pro book 4530s (thanks for helping) and apparently it has the wrong wifi card built in? can i use my dell latitude's card, which is a broadcom and just do the famous "switcheroo"? That also would be very useful for when i buy the computer. Thanks!

If there is an Intel Wi-Fi card installed, you will have to replace it with a compatible one. Without out knowing which type of card the Latitude uses (or which model it is), it's hard to tell if you can switch. It appears the card in the HP is half height. If the Latitude uses a half height card, you should be able to switch.

Check first if your HP Probook doesn't has a 'white list' BIOS. It will only boot with some WiFi cards, that are 'hard coded' in the BIOS. You need to pick one of these, or modify the bios.

However, not every HP laptop has that 'white listed' bios.

i'm asking can i just insert any internal wireless card? The latitude i am posting on this is a broadcom and i am just wondering that if it is possible to just grab some random laptop wireless card and put it in. That is my only real question.. Again, I am running d830 with intel gfx core 2 duo and I used the 630 boot pack; nothing has been changed (other than removed ram).

First, as I pointed out, you have to see if the card in your Latitude is a full sized card or a half height card (DW 1510 in an example of a half sized card, the size of the card that will fit in this HP). If you have a full sized card, it won't fit in. Second, as iMick pointed out, you need to see if the BIOS in the HP has a "White List". That is a list of cards that the BIOS will allow to work. If it does, you are limited to those cards unless you modify the BIOS to eliminate that "White List". As indicated previously, you also have to choose a card that is supported by OSx - "some random laptop wireless card" may not work - as is the case with the card it comes with. Might I suggest you start with biosmods. com to see if they have any information about whether the BIOS in the HP has a "White List" or a modded BIOS has been created for it. Then read up carefully on flashing BIOS and potential problems if done wrong before doing so. If you find out there is no white list or if there is, and you flash your bios with a mod successfully, then you are down to finding OSx compatible cards that are half height.

UPDATE: Since I now know you are using a D830 - it uses a full sized card and won't fit in the HP.

ok. so basically now i have to find out if the wireless card in it is compatible. Also, The 4530s was on EDP a few months ago before the new webpage. Am i crazy or is it just not there?  :lol: Anyway, it's coming in in 3 weeks, and i will keep you posted.

Based on the specs from HP, it will ship with an incompatible card. EDP may have listed it for the rest of the setup, just as it does with other models, but with the understanding that the WiFi card needs to be swapped out. Did you check to see if there is a white list in the 4530s's BIOS? And if there is, did you go to a place like biosmods.com to either see if they have modded a BIOS for that machine or submit a request to have the BIOS modded? Also, as I indicated in the previous post, if your BIOS needs to be modded, make yourself aware of how to properly flash the BIOS and be aware of the consequences of doing it wrong.

I'm saying, i'm having a hard time looking for it in edp. I'm more than willing to get a card but just for kicks, are there are any kexts that i can download for that model just to get that card running?

I'm saying, i'm having a hard time looking for it in edp. I'm more than willing to get a card but just for kicks, are there are any kexts that i can download for that model just to get that card running?

There are NO kexts that will make that card run in OSx, you will not find it in EDP as a result.