E6430 - Can't Boot USB

cuppscakes

Hey guys,

So I attempted to Hackintosh an older laptop once before (maybe a year or so ago, using tonycrap's methods, I think) and got it installed, but was never able to get video working correctly.

Anyways, I've got an E6430, which appears to be working well based on some threads I've seen here. My particular laptop is rocking the following:

*i5 3320M @ 2.6GHz

*Intel HD4000 (1600x900)

*8GB RAM

*Waiting on a 1510 to be delivered, for now still using the stock wifi chip. :|

*Tried this with an image from 10.8.3 and 10.8.4 so far.

I started by following this thread, referencing this guide to get myHack setup. I've attempted this with the Extras folder from that thread, as well as the EDR bootpack for the E6430 with HD4000, and neither has allowed me to boot into the installer yet.

After setting up the USB stick and making sure everything in my BIOS (A09) matches the thread's setting, I reboot, and set the -v flag. Then, I get the same screen flashing for a brief second before the screen goes dark and just sits there:

http://i.imgur.com/hzYxjIn.jpg

I found another thread where I think a user ran into this same issue here, and a simple rename of DSDT got them past that screen. Tried that, and still no luck.

I'm making sure to use the USB 2.0 port on the left. My process has been install with MyHack > install Extras folder > myfix. Reboot, and then I've tried -v, -v -x, -v -x -f and a couple other random options I found when Googling the BootCache and CPUPower Management portions from that screen to try to find the error.

If anyone could lend some insight to someone still pretty novice at the whole Hackintosh thing, I'd be greatly, greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

• Moderators

Hey guys,

So I attempted to Hackintosh an older laptop once before (maybe a year or so ago, using tonycrap's methods, I think) and got it installed, but was never able to get video working correctly.

Anyways, I've got an E6430, which appears to be working well based on some threads I've seen here. My particular laptop is rocking the following:

*i5 3320M @ 2.6GHz

*Intel HD4000 (1600x900)

*8GB RAM

*Waiting on a 1510 to be delivered, for now still using the stock wifi chip. :|

*Tried this with an image from 10.8.3 and 10.8.4 so far.

I started by following this thread, referencing this guide to get myHack setup. I've attempted this with the Extras folder from that thread, as well as the EDR bootpack for the E6430 with HD4000, and neither has allowed me to boot into the installer yet.

After setting up the USB stick and making sure everything in my BIOS (A09) matches the thread's setting, I reboot, and set the -v flag. Then, I get the same screen flashing for a brief second before the screen goes dark and just sits there:

http://i.imgur.com/hzYxjIn.jpg

I found another thread where I think a user ran into this same issue here, and a simple rename of DSDT got them past that screen. Tried that, and still no luck.

I'm making sure to use the USB 2.0 port on the left. My process has been install with MyHack > install Extras folder > myfix. Reboot, and then I've tried -v, -v -x, -v -x -f and a couple other random options I found when Googling the BootCache and CPUPower Management portions from that screen to try to find the error.

If anyone could lend some insight to someone still pretty novice at the whole Hackintosh thing, I'd be greatly, greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Hi cuppscakes,

Take a look at this guide, I updated the instruction to include systems with higher resolution than 1366x768 at the bottom.

Please post your results. Good luck.

• Like 1

Hi cuppscakes,

Take a look at this guide, I updated the instruction to include systems with higher resolution than 1366x768 at the bottom.

Please post your results. Good luck.

Awesome, thank you. I knew I was missing something obvious. So it kicks off the installer, but my touchpad and nub mouse aren't working, so I can't do anything from there. But hey, progress!

EDIT: If I plug in my USB mouse (using the left-side 2.0 for the installer, so I have to plug the mouse into one of the 3.0 ports) the installer freezes.

EDIT #2: I tried the USB "roll back" kexts from this post, and added them to my Extras and reinstalled the Extras folder via myHack. Still no mouse during install. And the keyboard works insofar as I can hit the brightness function key and change the brightness... but can't seem to say, hit enter to select English during the installer's first window.

... and EDIT #3: Got it to finally pick up my USB mouse during the install (used -v -f -x, and added the USB kext from your original guide), though still no touchpad yet. Partitioning and installing now. Woot!

So I've attempted a couple installs, all of which appeared to work, but cannot get into the installed OS. So I format the hard drive, GUID and the first partition is for OS X. Install runs, I choose the Extra folder from the USB stick, and choose yes to delete each file. It finishes successfully, but on reboot I get "Invalid Partition Table" followed by "No boot device found."

If I throw in the USB stick to get to the menu, and then choose my OS X install, it starts and the kernel panics quickly. Any ideas what I missed on the install?

EDIT: If I use the USB stick and then boot OS X with -v -x -f, I get to "Allocate Memory Error" before it crashes out. Though I'm not sure if *that's* my actual problem, or there's something prior, because I'm still getting an error like above, suggesting the BIOS isn't see it or something.

As per Jake Lo's guide linked in post #2, follow his instructions for the Invalid Partition error. It appears you will need to install Chameleon on your hard drive. Use your MyHack installer and choose the Install Chameleon option, choosing your OSx drive as the install to volume. He indicated Chameleon-2.2svn-r2189 worked for him

As per Jake Lo's guide linked in post #2, follow his instructions for the Invalid Partition error. It appears you will need to install Chameleon on your hard drive. Use your MyHack installer and choose the Install Chameleon option, choosing your OSx drive as the install to volume. He indicated Chameleon-2.2svn-r2189 worked for him

Since I can't actually boot into my new install, where/how can I install it? Seems my only option would be to go into the OS X Installer, open MyHack, and install Chameleon onto my existing install and then reboot. Problem is, my USB mouse/keyboard only work when loading the installer in safe mode. And in safe mode, I can't use MyHack from within the installer (and the touchpad/keyboardon the laptop simply don't work in the installer at all). I'm kinda stuck.

EDIT: And for what it's worth, even using the USB key and then selecting my installation results in either a)an immediate kernel panic booting normally, or B) "allocate kernel memory error" ten to twenty seconds into the boot using safe mode. Not sure if installing Chameleon suddenly makes those problems go away...

Apologies for re-posting to my own topic; I'm just try to sorta document my process. Been at this non-stop for a couple days, and showing no signs of being able to boot. So the "no boot device found, press any key to reboot" message is coming from my BIOS not seeing a bootable partition. I installed Windows 8 (machine's been exclusively Linux prior to this little experiment) and installed the latest BIOS (A11), but that didn't change anything.

The BIOS has secure boot (disabled) and is UEFI (set to legacy), so I don't think those settings should be causing problems. When installing Linux previously, I used to keep my boot partitions on LVM with the rest of my system and use GRUB2, but with this machine the BIOS won't see those boot partitions, so perhaps that's related?

Then again, it could simply be needing to install Chameleon after the install. Is there a way to hang in the installer before rebooting when it's done? Otherwise, as stated in my previous post, I'm not sure how to be able to run myHack, as I need safe mode to get a working USB mouse/keyboard in the installer. And beyond that, I'm still concerned, since I can't boot into the new install using the USB stick to get to a boot menu.

Lastly, the only other real thing that sticks out to me is that every guide related to my e6340 shows that the install should "fail" towards the end and then you reboot. But everytime I install, it completes without issue. Runs the install, I drop in the Extra folder, click to delete a couple files and then it finishes without a hitch.

Scratch all of that. So I found a 10.8.4 image (instead of the 10.8.3 one I was using) and the installing portion worked perfectly. I could boot into the OS X install with just -v, it failed at the end, and after booting into an Ubuntu live CD to fix the boot0 error, I can now boot into Chameleon and pick my OS X install! YAY!

Problem is OS X is still failing to load. It shows the gray screen flashing various files loaded, and then just goes dark. So still looking into that issue (and seeing if I can get a screenie of what's going wrong).

EDIT: So, I tried to get some snapshots when things go awry. Apologies for quality.

This image is the last normal thing that loads before the screen gets wonky during boot (same for regular, -v or -v -f -x).

This image shows what happens next: the left side of the screen gets filled with garbled characters.

This image shows where is ends. It just sits here. The last thing loaded appears to be "SyncFamily", though I don't know if that's the actual problem or not.

Worth nothing: it's not frozen. Normally, I have to long-press power to kill the machine, but here a simple tap and it powers down. Damnit... I'm so close. This whole process is additctive.

EDIT #2: On a whim, I tried booting with -v PciRoot=1 and got to the welcome screen! But my USB mouse/keyboard weren't working. :( So I rebooted and tried again with the USB plugged in... bupkis. Grrr... though in subsequent attempts I don't know if PciRoot=1 helped or it was just a fluke.

EDIT #3: IT WORKED! I'm in OS X! I used -v -f -x PciRoot=1 (or 0, not sure), sacrificed a goat and somehow it worked! The local keyboard and touchpad don't work, so I'm using USB right now. But I'm guessing those are just extra files I need?

Edited by cuppscakes

• Moderators

cuppscakes and everyone who has an Exx30 model with resolution 1600x900,

My bootpack worked fine on my system with 1366x768 resolution and so was puzzled why it's not working for you guys. And then it dawned on me that everyone that has 1600x900 using my bootpack are having black screen issue.

So I went and replaced my LCD to 1600x900.  On first bootup, all I get is a blank screen, can't even see the BIOS post. I realized I had to replace the connector cable as well to detect the new hardware. Once that's done, Dell post comes on, Chameleon starts and then towards the end guess what, same black screen. So I poked around this forum and found that a few members had figured out that you have to patche AppleIntelFramebufferCapri to fix the issue. Now everything is working like before. 

I'll rebuild my bootpack and update the installation guide shortly. Stay tuned...

:excl: Update: Guide is updated with new kexts and instructions

Jake Lo & cuppscakes, the indication that the Invalid Partition Table was eliminated by a different version of Chameleon led me to believe it was a Chameleon compatibility error, but the "Allocate kernel memory" error in safe mode had me puzzled. I mistakenly thought that the AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext that you added to the guide had been patched to resolve the resolution issue.

cuppscakes and everyone who has an Exx30 model with resolution 1600x900,

My bootpack worked fine on my system with 1366x768 resolution and so was puzzled why it's not working for you guys. And then it dawned on me that everyone that has 1600x900 using my bootpack are having black screen issue. So I went and upgraded my LCD and guess what, same black screen. So I poked around this forum and found that you have to patched AppleIntelFramebufferCapri to fix the issue. Now everything is working like before.

I'll rebuild my bootpack and update the installation guide shortly. Stay tuned...

Awesome, thanks a ton to you guys for sticking with me here... I know I kinda went bananas with the last couple posts. So I'm at a point where my system boots in OS X consistently (seem to so far), using -v -f PciRoot=0 at boot. However, I still have a few things not working:

*Keyboard/touchpad not recognized (found a kext on the MyHack guide for this, I think).

*Camera

*Audio

Screen looks great, and HDMI out to another monitor works perfectly. Battery was picked up. And sleep seems to work.

Also, and this may be my noobiest question of all: how do I install further kexts and such after install? Do I just keep updating the Extra/ folder and then re-run myHack and reinstall that Extra folder? Or is there another way?

EDIT: Not sure if this is the appropriate way or not, but I basically ran myHack and reinstalled Chameleon and Extras with a few other kexts I found and now a)it boots quickly and without any flags (not more partition table error either). Touchpad/keyboard work too! Sound works too! I'm using a USB wifi adapter for now, which works, and should have the rebranded wifi card coming soon.

Edited by cuppscakes