E6430 - Can't Boot USB

cuppscakes

• Moderators

Awesome, thanks a ton to you guys for sticking with me here... I know I kinda went bananas with the last couple posts. So I'm at a point where my system boots in OS X consistently (seem to so far), using -v -f PciRoot=0 at boot. However, I still have a few things not working:

*Keyboard/touchpad not recognized (found a kext on the MyHack guide for this, I think).

*Camera

*Audio

Screen looks great, and HDMI out to another monitor works perfectly. Battery was picked up. And sleep seems to work.

Also, and this may be my noobiest question of all: how do I install further kexts and such after install? Do I just keep updating the Extra/ folder and then re-run myHack and reinstall that Extra folder? Or is there another way?

EDIT: Not sure if this is the appropriate way or not, but I basically ran myHack and reinstalled Chameleon and Extras with a few other kexts I found and now a)it boots quickly and without any flags (not more partition table error either). Touchpad/keyboard work too! Sound works too! I'm using a USB wifi adapter for now, which works, and should have the rebranded wifi card coming soon.

Awesome, looks like you got everything up and running.

Yes, run myHack each time you add/remove kext(s) from Extra folder, also fix some issue with shutdown too.

Awesome, looks like you got everything up and running.

Yes, run myHack each time you add/remove kext(s) from Extra folder, also fix some issue with shutdown too.

Still ironing out some kinks (can boot into OS X and Linux, but Windows is being a butt), but overall super happy with it. One more little thing: did you ever get sleep working? It took for me once, but can't get it to work reliably, and even shutting down usually just hangs on a black screen after awhile.

Is windows not booting? You will need to repair the bootloader, Grub has a tendency to break it.

Yeah... I was stuck for a bit, but I reinstalled Windows 8 and then reinstalled Chameleon from OS X (booted via USB). Boom. All three OSes living together on a single drive. :D

Now I'm just pouring over some of the other threads related to sleep/restart not working exactly and using my dock for work (dock works with power, ethernet and ONE monitor, but it doesn't seen the second). Still working on it, but definitely better off than I was a day ago.

I see some other threads talk about the dock with the nVidia card... either of you have any luck using the dock with just HD 4000? And do I need a special kext for restart/sleep to work. Doing any power-related tasks (sleep, reboot, shut down) seem like they start the process... and then just sit at a dark screen until I manually power off.

Also, on a much-less-of-an-issue note: is there a way to change ALT as my option key? Would much prefer the Windows key being the equivalent of option (or command).

• Moderators

Yeah... I was stuck for a bit, but I reinstalled Windows 8 and then reinstalled Chameleon from OS X (booted via USB). Boom. All three OSes living together on a single drive. :D

Now I'm just pouring over some of the other threads related to sleep/restart not working exactly and using my dock for work (dock works with power, ethernet and ONE monitor, but it doesn't seen the second). Still working on it, but definitely better off than I was a day ago.

I see some other threads talk about the dock with the nVidia card... either of you have any luck using the dock with just HD 4000? And do I need a special kext for restart/sleep to work. Doing any power-related tasks (sleep, reboot, shut down) seem like they start the process... and then just sit at a dark screen until I manually power off.

Also, on a much-less-of-an-issue note: is there a way to change ALT as my option key? Would much prefer the Windows key being the equivalent of option (or command).

Check out this article to change keys http://www.osxlatitude.com/use-a-pc-keyboard-with-your-hackintosh/

Sleep is working fine on my end. Make sure you don't have NullCPUPowerManagement.kext in EE and install patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.

You might have to fix permissions and update cache for the shutdown issue. Just re-run myHack/myfix to do all that.

As for docking issue, do you have the dual dvi or dvi/vga port? You might have to use 1 dvi and 1 hdmi for dual monitor setup.

Check out this article to change keys http://www.osxlatitude.com/use-a-pc-keyboard-with-your-hackintosh/

Sleep is working fine on my end. Make sure you don't have NullCPUPowerManagement.kext in EE and install patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.

You might have to fix permissions and update cache for the shutdown issue. Just re-run myHack/myfix to do all that.

As for docking issue, do you have the dual dvi or dvi/vga port? You might have to use 1 dvi and 1 hdmi for dual monitor setup.

Got the keyboard swapped to my liking.

Reboot works, albeit slowly. Shutdown gets to a black screen and stops. And sleep just turns off the display and gets stuck until I power off. I don't have NullCPUPowerManagement, and I *do* have AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement... the patched one, I think. Could I get a zip of your current setup (is it identical to your thread)? Also, how do I update cache? Just doing the myfix? Or something else?

And the laptop has one HDMI and one VGA port. The HDMI port works on its own. The dock at work provides two DVI ports, only one of which, plus the native display, are recognized when docking. And when docked, the HDMI port doesn't appear to work.

• Moderators

Got the keyboard swapped to my liking.

Reboot works, albeit slowly. Shutdown gets to a black screen and stops. And sleep just turns off the display and gets stuck until I power off. I don't have NullCPUPowerManagement, and I *do* have AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement... the patched one, I think. Could I get a zip of your current setup (is it identical to your thread)? Also, how do I update cache? Just doing the myfix? Or something else?

And the laptop has one HDMI and one VGA port. The HDMI port works on its own. The dock at work provides two DVI ports, only one of which, plus the native display, are recognized when docking. And when docked, the HDMI port doesn't appear to work.

cuppscakes,

Take a look another member's Extra, he (osxjeff) seems to have things working. If you have a different processor, don't include the SSDT files. Just need the Extension folder, you could ignore the rest.

cuppscakes,

Take a look another member's Extra, he (osxjeff) seems to have things working. If you have a different processor, don't include the SSDT files. Just need the Extension folder, you could ignore the rest.

Hmm... I tried mixing and matching, and even tried using his entire "Extensions" folder and rebuilding Extra. Still nothing. I hit sleep, the screen goes off, but then it just sits there, fans churning. Nothing responds, I can't get it to come back, it never fully sleeps and eventually I just have to reboot.

Is there anything that can/needs to be tweaked other than the Extras folder? It seems like it tries to sleep, but it doesn't take. Grr... I can handle needing to work on getting the dock to work, but sleep is the one last thing really keeping me from being able to to use this full-time. Hmm...

• Moderators

Hmm... I tried mixing and matching, and even tried using his entire "Extensions" folder and rebuilding Extra. Still nothing. I hit sleep, the screen goes off, but then it just sits there, fans churning. Nothing responds, I can't get it to come back, it never fully sleeps and eventually I just have to reboot.

Is there anything that can/needs to be tweaked other than the Extras folder? It seems like it tries to sleep, but it doesn't take. Grr... I can handle needing to work on getting the dock to work, but sleep is the one last thing really keeping me from being able to to use this full-time. Hmm...

Hmmm, the way you describe your issue lead me to believe that you might have a discrete card - Nvidia nvs5200m (Optimus). Please check your bios to verify.

Also did you also include osxjeff's DSDT?

So... from the "really...?" department: my 1510 Dell mini wireless card arrived in the mail this morning. I popped it in (and, since I had it lying around, swapped out my SATA drive for a Samsung SSD) and reinstalled OS X using your guide again. This time, natural wireless works, sleep works and shut down/startup went from taking upwards of thirty seconds either way to a couple seconds. This. Is. Fantastic.

Thanks for all your help this past week; I know in most cases I was throwing out symptoms that didn't always make sense. You're awesome, and this setup is sublime. :D