[How To] Dell Inspiron17 3721 - Fully Working

hibernian56

Since Apple recently released OS-X 10.9 "Mavericks", I decided to see if I could get it working on my Dell 17-3721. Since this had been done successfully by "hibernian58" and myself with earlier versions of OS-X, I'm not going to re-hash that info. here. As mentioned in previous posts, my only hardware change was to replace the Dell 1704 WiFi/Bluetooth module with an Atheros AR5B195.

Instead, I will tell you that I have successfully installed Mavericks on an external USB hard drive, and then subsequently "cloned" it to my Dell's OS-X partition (using CCC), after I had first BACKED UP all my data to another external USB HD, also using CCC. As outlined in a previous post, I am running a dual-boot setup of Windows 8.1 and Mac OS-X. In order to ensure the least amount of problems, I COMPLETELY ERASED my Dell's OS-X partition and did a CLEAN INSTALL of Mavericks on it, using an 8 Gig USB flash drive prepared using Uni-Beast. NOTE: This did NOT require me to disturb my Windows 8.1 install in any way! Since I have a dual-boot system partitioned as MBR format, I could not use the Uni-Beast USB drive without first modifying it to work on that Partitioning scheme (see link on how to modify it to install to an MBR partition HERE). Once the MBR patch was applied, I was able to install Mavericks on my OS-X partition using the modified Uni-Beast flash drive. NOTE: After installing Mavericks, It is necessary to re-boot with the Uni-Beast flash drive inserted, and then run Multi-Beast, which I downloaded and copied to the Uni-Beast drive, prior to beginning the install. This is necessary in order to be able to Boot from the OS-X partition. (You could probably get it to boot by just installing chimera (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) at this point). You may also have to perform the steps outlined HERE to fix the "boot 0 error" problem.

When I ran Multi-Beast, I did not change any of the "Default" settings, since I planned to use the "Extra" folder from my previous ML install on this Dell. (This was done to save time and to see if the files from the previous ML install worked, including the custom DSDT files and misc. Kexts provided by hibernian58 - THEY WORKED, with some minor changes I'll elaborate on later). After I ran Multi-Beast, but BEFORE I re-booted, I copied my entire "Extra" folder from my ML backup to the OS-X Mavericks HD. (I have attached Zipped versions of my entire Extra folder and the MODIFIED Kexts from my S/L/E folders to this Post, in case someone want to try using them - NO GUARANTEE THEY'LL WORK FOR YOU, but it might save you some time/hassles). NOTE: If you're going to install ANY Kexts in your S/L/E folder BE SURE to always do it via Kext Utility! Bad things can (and will) happen if you try installing them by "drag-and-drop" - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!! (NOTE: I customized a few of the files in the Extra/Themes/Default folder so I get some "Star Fleet" graphics when I boot up - you can edit these as you see fit...)

Here's what WORKS:

- Ethernet (after installing RealtekR1000SL Kext)

- WiFi (after installing IO80211Family, IOath3kfrmwr, IOBluetoothFamily, and IOUSBFamily Kexts)

- WebCam (only tested in FaceTime at present - worked without installing/modifying any Kexts)

- USB

- Trackpad (I can FINALLY disable the stupid "tap-to-click" feature, which I DESPISE!)

- Sound (after installing VoodooHDA 2.8.2 "Patch" - see attached file)

- Battery in Menu Bar (after installation of VoodooBattery Kext)

- App Store (after performing "Fix" outlined in attached file)

Here's what DOESN'T work (yet) in Mavericks:
- Bluetooth
- SD Card Reader
- HDMI Out
- Sleep

Since I have several USB mice, it's not a big deal that Bluetooth doesn't work - this will be solved in the near future, if not by me, then by one of the other clever folks here.
I also have plenty of external USB SD Card readers, so this isn't important to me right now either.
I haven't tested HDMI out with an external monitor yet, but it didn't work in ML, so I assume it's still not working in Mavericks.
Sleep (the screen shuts off when I close the lid, but it is not really going to "Sleep" - will fix later).

If you have this Dell laptop, let us know when you install Mavericks, and what problems/fixes you encountered.

Extra.zip

S_L_E Extensions.zip

VoodooHDA 2.8.2 r86 32_64bit & Optional VIA VT 2021 5.1 Patch.pkg.zip

AppStoreFix.rtfd.zip

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi, the AR5B197 is scarce on eBay right now. Would any other card work?

The AR5B197 and AR5B97 look to be very similar, the AR5b97 is cheap, about $6. But want to be sure be sure before I order. Living without wireless for now. Thanks.

• Moderators

The AR5B197 and AR5B97 look to be very similar, the AR5b97 is cheap, about $6. But want to be sure be sure before I order. Living without wireless for now. Thanks.

try dw1510

• Administrators

Head over to the Wifi card inventory thread in R&D->Hardware section and look at the Wiki site for wireless devices. Look for the chip and PCI ids of those cards you're looking at, then look for the PCI ids found in the Atheros PlugIns of /S/L/E/IO80211Family.kext.

If they match, you're good to go!

I never mentioned that card. As mentioned in previous posts, I have used the AR5B195, about $8 bucks on eBay, in no less than THREE Dell 17-3721 laptops with COMPLETE SUCCESS on the WiFi function. And in my last install (OS-X 10.9 Mavericks), with a specific Kext "patch", it also fixed Bluetooth problems I encountered during earlier installs with this card. (More info. to follow). SO, you can't go wrong with the Atheros AR5B195 card.

Here's the Kexts (in Zip format) I used to get BOTH WiFi AND Bluetooth working in 10.9 Mavericks, with the Atheros AR5B195 combo-card installed in my Dell 17-3721.

NOTE: My Apple "MagicMouse" works perfectly including both vertical and horizontal scrolling, but my Logitech V470 is very "jumpy" - seems to be too sensitive, even with the tracking and scrolling set to their lowest levels...(?)

I never mentioned that card. As mentioned in previous posts, I have used the AR5B195, about $8 bucks on eBay, in no less than THREE Dell 17-3721 laptops with COMPLETE SUCCESS on the WiFi function. And in my last install (OS-X 10.9 Mavericks), with a specific Kext "patch", it also fixed Bluetooth problems I encountered during earlier installs with this card. (More info. to follow). SO, you can't go wrong with the Atheros AR5B195 card.

Doh! I don't know where I got that model then. In any case, I bought a low-profile usb solution that works in os x for $4 shipped from eBay. WIll have that tomorrow, then wait a few weeks to get the AR5B195 from China. You are the man for putting all of this together.

EDIT: you actually do say AR5B197 in your first post:

"

WIFI Preparation:

1. Buy an Atheros AR5B197 from eBay

2. Follow this guide to remove the keyboard http://www.insidemyl...iron-17r-n7110/

3. Disconnect the two antennae and whip out the old WIFI card, its held in with one screw

4. Put the new card in, secure with the screw and connect the antennae

5. Replace the keyboard

"

That is why I bought the alternate solution. You might want to change it so other people are not thrown off or spend $20 on the AR5B197 from other websites, or do what I did and buy the generic usb one. No biggie, $4 extra for a versatile wifi solution is still a great price for future projects! 

• Administrators

EDIT: you actually do say AR5B197 in your first post:

[...]

That is why I bought the alternate solution. You might want to change it so other people are not thrown off or spend $20 on the AR5B197 from other websites, or do what I did and buy the generic usb one. No biggie, $4 extra for a versatile wifi solution is still a great price for future projects! 

Kistoff, it wasn't Mikeguru... The thread was created by Hibernian56.

Post #17 of this very thread links to another thread that provides kexts for AR5B195 and AR5B197.

Kistoff, it wasn't Mikeguru... The thread was created by Hibernian56.

Post #17 of this very thread links to another thread that provides kexts for AR5B195 and AR5B197.

Hervé is correct - Hibernian56 is the one who actually started this thread - I just "added my 2¢" in the hope that I might add some information that would be of help to other Dell 17-3721 owners. Since I have been able to get 10.9 Mavericks working on mine, I thought others who read this thread and this Forum might benefit from my experience. BTW: I have found the Atheros AR5B195 on eBay that was from sellers right here in the USA - no need to wait on the "slow boat from China" if you shop carefully. NOTE: My 10.9 install is a "DSDT-free" installation. It greatly simplifies the entire process, FWIW...

Guys, sorry about any confusion regarding the WIFI, I updated the first post to reflect Mikeguru's advice regarding the AR5B195.

I'm still using 10.8, I have 10.9 on my desktop and it's very unstable with regard to resource management. My advice would be to wait for 10.9.2 at least before attempting an upgrade, thats what I'm going to do.