[How To] Dell Inspiron17 3721 - Fully Working

hibernian56

Guys, sorry about any confusion regarding the WIFI, I updated the first post to reflect Mikeguru's advice regarding the AR5B195.

I'm still using 10.8, I have 10.9 on my desktop and it's very unstable with regard to resource management. My advice would be to wait for 10.9.2 at least before attempting an upgrade, thats what I'm going to do.

Thanks, hibernian56. I'm sorry you're having trouble with 10.9. I have the "luxury" of an external USB hard drive to install on "clean", as opposed to trying to "upgrade" an existing install. True, it's a lot more work to re-install everything on the Dell's internal HD by doing it this way, but it seems to work best. Once I get everything working on and can boot from the external HD, I then back up the User account data from the Dell 17's internal drive, ERASE IT, and then use Carbon Copy Cloner to make an exact copy of the working EXTERNAL HD onto the Dell 17's internal drive. Of course, before trying to boot the Dell 17 after the "cloning" is completed, it's important to run the Chameleon installer to update the UEFI partition on the Dell's internal HD FIRST. The only post-install "tweaks" I had to do were for the WiFi/Bluetooth and "App Store Error", as outlined in previous posts.

One final "caveat" - I still don't have SLEEP working on my Dell 17. Instead of just closing the lid on it, I shut OS-X down before closing the lid. (If I don't, the screen goes dark, but the computer continues to operate). Since I have a dual-boot system, that minor "operational deviation" allows me to boot into either OS when I open the lid again. For some folks, this may be "unacceptable", but for me, it works just fine.

Good hunting!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi mikeguru, I followed your method for installing Mavericks, but I am hitting a black screen, and then nothing until i hold the power button and turn off. "DSMOS has arrived" is the last thing I see - I tried removing various kexts, etc. I have the default bluetooth wifi card removed from my 3721 (i3/hd4000/500gb), but nothing else installed in its place, yet.

Is there any way you could post "baby steps" to just getting the installer set up and booting? I used Uni-Beast and the download of Mavericks from the App store, but made no other changes before booting. Is there something I am missing just to get the installer booting? Kexts I should remove? Boot flags? Thanks in advance.

Hi mikeguru, I followed your method for installing Mavericks, but I am hitting a black screen, and then nothing until i hold the power button and turn off. "DSMOS has arrived" is the last thing I see - I tried removing various kexts, etc. I have the default bluetooth wifi card removed from my 3721 (i3/hd4000/500gb), but nothing else installed in its place, yet.

Is there any way you could post "baby steps" to just getting the installer set up and booting? I used Uni-Beast and the download of Mavericks from the App store, but made no other changes before booting. Is there something I am missing just to get the installer booting? Kexts I should remove? Boot flags? Thanks in advance.

I am having the same problem. Clean ifail install with Mavericks onto a usb stick, then when I boot up I get the apple logo followed by a black screen. Do not know how to proceed. Made changes to BIOS as outlined in OP. I am new at this. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Pran, Derrick,
Not sure if I understand your problem - are you getting a black screen using the USB installer? If so, then try using the boot flag -f, which turns off the Kernel cache. Of course, -x. which is "Safe Boot" should work too. I just tested my Mavericks USB installer - it boots my Dell 17-3721 just fine, and goes to the Mavericks Installer screen.

IMPORTANT NOTE: I have modified my USB installer to work on an MBR-formatted drive! Since I'm running a dual-boot (Windows 8 and Mac OS-X) system, this was required for my particular setup. (YMMV) As part of this setup, a couple of files ("OSInstall.mpkg" and "OSInstall") on the USB drive are REPLACED. (PM me, and I'll send you a link to how it's done. I don't want to break any Forum "Rules", as these instructions are found on MacBreaker.com, a site that some have alleged allows "Warez")

ALSO FYI: I always plug in a USB or RF mouse during these installs - trackpad problems can occur until you get all the post-install Kexts loaded and working.

I've attached a "zipped" copy of the "Extra" folder from my USB Installer (this folder is normally "hidden") - I used the "ShowHiddenFiles" utility to make it visible - you will have to do the same with your USB installer, as "hidden" files/folders cannot be overwritten/replaced. Once it is visible on your USB installer, drag it to the Trash, EMPTY the Trash. Then un-zip my provided Extra folder and copy the un-zipped folder to the "Root" level of your USB Installer. After that, be sure to run the "ShowHiddenFiles" utility again, and click on "Hide Special Files". If the Extra folder remains visible, this is fine as it will NOT affect its operation. Good luck!

For those interested - I have also successfully installed 10.9 Mavericks on my main "tower" Hackintosh system, which is a Dell Optiplex 760 (about $350 - check eBay). I added 6 Gigs of RAM and an ATI Radeon 5450 video card (512Meg). It is one of the easiest cards to configure for both dual-monitor support and QE/CI. (Does require editing some Kexts, but if you've been working in the Hackintosh world for any length of time, this should already be part of your "skill set". If not, search this and other Forums for how-to instructions). I'm running 2 Dell 2001FP 20" monitors on it at 1600x1200 resolution. This card costs around $35 if you shop around. Try NewEgg or eBay, and don't worry - re-branded cards work just fine, as long as they're "based on" the Radeon 5450. I've even added a FireWire 400/800 PCI card, which works without any additional Kexts, OOB! For WiFi, I'm using an $8 Airlink-101 USB "n" wireless adapter - best to download and install the latest OS-X drivers from Airlink's site. FYI: This USB WiFI adapter works on the Dell 17 laptop too...

Extra.zip

Still getting black screen when booting installer. I used ifail and App Store Mavericks, tried selecting and not selecting "laptop support", same results. Plug in USB, select boot -v, and it blacks out after saying dsmos has arrived and something about bluetooth. Any help is appreciated.

I have installed 10.8.2 following hibernian56 instructions, and upgraded to 10.8.5, but my AR5B195 was on the way from China and I bought USB wireless adapter (TP-Link TL-WN725N) which works well.

Today I received Atheros card but there's no Wi-Fi.

Is there any 10.8.5 patch, or kext, or DSTD/SSDT?

I am at wit's end. I used App Store Mavericks and unifail, booted  from it in verbose mode with various boot flags, like pcirootuid=0, -x, - f, and a few others, and still same results. last few lines are something like:

AGPM Controller -unknown platform and unknown cpu model 0x3a

dsmos has arrived

Any suggestions are appreciated. Is it possible that my board is different? I think I have i3 3227 and hd4000

Derrick;

As stated before, I am using a dual-boot system, so my process for creating the installer USB stick modifies it so it will install on an MBR formatted drive. (Do a Google search for how to perform this mod). If you didn't perform the steps to modify it for an MBR install and you're trying to install to a MBR formatted hard drive, that might just be your problem. Conversely, if you DID modify it for an MBR install, but you are trying to install to a GUID formatted hard drive, that won't work either. As for the CPU and GPU, you have the correct ones.