[How To] Dell Inspiron17 3721 - Fully Working

hibernian56

The only thing that doesn't work yet is WIFI.

I know that for that I have to replace the card and I am considering this card, Azure wave BCM4352 WIFI+BT 4.0 Half mini PCIe

http://www.embeddedworks.net/wlan507.html

My question is will it work without any BIOS whitelist issues?? I might have a dual boot with windows so will it work error free in that aswell. I haven't bought it yet, so I want to be absolutely sure before doing so.

My specs are:

• i3-3217u
  • HM75
  • BIOS A08

THANKS

I have no experience with that card. Also, it seems like a lot to pay, especially when you consider that the card I recommend, the AR5B195, was selling on eBay for about $8 bucks, and is PROVEN to work...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello all, I have a Dell Inspiron 17 3721 and I have been pulling my hair out trying to get OS X Mavericks to install. I've had luck getting to the install screen using unifail but after about 5 minutes of install the installer fails and I'm not sure why.. Any insight to what I'm doing wrong would be great. Thanks Jimmy

Hard to advise you without knowing more about the type of installation you're trying - are you installing OS X ML or Mavericks ONLY, or are you installing a dual-boot system with Windows as well? In either case, I was successful only when I RE-PARTITIONED the hard drive, re-installed Windows CLEAN, and then installed the Mac OS on it CLEAN. My install, based on hibernian56's work, is for an MBR (Master Boot Record) install ONLY. A lot of guides have you partition the drive as if you were installing on a Mac - using the Mac "GUID" partitioning scheme, which MAY NOT WORK for installing OS-X on the Dell 17-3721, and will DEFINITELY NOT WORK on any dual-boot setup, as Windows REQUIRES an MBR partitioning scheme. If you're only planning on installing Mac OS-X ML or Mavericks ALONE, then you should STILL RE-PARTITION THE DRIVE. One final note on dual-boot partitioning - I discovered that it is important to be SURE of the partition sizes you want beforehand, as an MBR partitioned drive CANNOT BE RE-SIZED afterward, like a GUID partition can (in Disk Utility). If you need to later re-size the partitions for some reason, you will have to RE-PARTITION/ERASE THE WHOLE DRIVE, and then re-install everything FROM SCRATCH. (There may be a utility in Windows that can be used to re-size "Hackintoshed" partitions without destroying existing ones and/or losing data, but I haven't researched or tried it on a "DUAL-BOOT HACKINTOSH" yet...) I hope this info is helpful for you!

• Administrators

[...]

A lot of guides have you partition the drive as if you were installing on a Mac - using the Mac "GUID" partitioning scheme, which MAY NOT WORK for installing OS-X on the Dell 17-3721, and will DEFINITELY NOT WORK on any dual-boot setup, as Windows REQUIRES an MBR partitioning scheme.

[...]

Actually, Win7 can be installed on a GPT-partitionned disc as long as the targetted partition has previously been formatted as FAT under OS X. The Windows installer will see the partition and reformat it NTFS before proceeding with installation. This on systems with "legacy" BIOS I understand, not on more recent UEFI-based systems.

Hard to advise you without knowing more about the type of installation you're trying - are you installing OS X ML or Mavericks ONLY, or are you installing a dual-boot system with Windows as well? In either case, I was successful only when I RE-PARTITIONED the hard drive, re-installed Windows CLEAN, and then installed the Mac OS on it CLEAN. My install, based on hibernian56's work, is for an MBR (Master Boot Record) install ONLY. A lot of guides have you partition the drive as if you were installing on a Mac - using the Mac "GUID" partitioning scheme, which MAY NOT WORK for installing OS-X on the Dell 17-3721, and will DEFINITELY NOT WORK on any dual-boot setup, as Windows REQUIRES an MBR partitioning scheme. If you're only planning on installing Mac OS-X ML or Mavericks ALONE, then you should STILL RE-PARTITION THE DRIVE. One final note on dual-boot partitioning - I discovered that it is important to be SURE of the partition sizes you want beforehand, as an MBR partitioned drive CANNOT BE RE-SIZED afterward, like a GUID partition can (in Disk Utility). If you need to later re-size the partitions for some reason, you will have to RE-PARTITION/ERASE THE WHOLE DRIVE, and then re-install everything FROM SCRATCH. (There may be a utility in Windows that can be used to re-size "Hackintoshed" partitions without destroying existing ones and/or losing data, but I haven't researched or tried it on a "DUAL-BOOT HACKINTOSH" yet...) I hope this info is helpful for you!

I'm doing a complete format only trying to install Mavericks by its self. Last night I was able to get about 15 mins into the install before it failed. I have followed every ounce of direction I can find in order to create this Hackintosh. I used that master boot record instead of the Guide when formatting the hard drive on the computer? My feelings on it are if I never have to see windows again I wouldn't drop one tear. The only boot USB I've been able to make that works is uni beast so thats what I used to make a boot disk. I'm not sure what information I'm leaving out I've never done this before and I'd call myself a learner of the hackintosh trade.

• Administrators

there is an issue with the MBR patch on my hack it needs Xcode to work properly. remake the installer without the MBR patch say no when prompted and install on a guid formatted drive. don't mix installers as it causes conflicts.

After 18 minutes into the install this is what I get.. I'm learning and I'm also very confused.. I have followed hibernian56's guide to the T and it keeps failing.. Did I miss something, I'm not sure how you others have had success and it keeps dropping out for me.. HELP!!!

1. Get a friend with a working Mac or Hackintosh

2. Create a standard OSX installation USB key or USB hard drive using the many guides available...

3. Very Important: Copy the GenericUSBXHCI.kext file to /Extra/Extension folder on the USB installation Drive, otherwise you will get a number of different cryptic errors, most notably "still waiting for root device"

4. Make a folder called ++Tools on the USB installation drive

5. Copy all of the attached files into this folder. This will save a lot of pain later

Step 3 I'm confused about I have the ++Tools folder on my USB drive with the installer. and the /Extra/Extension folder that is inside the ++Tools already has the file GenericUSBXHCI.kext in it. 

I'm new to the MAC world I own a MAC mini that I purchased about 3 months ago and I love MAC, hate windows with a passion but I have 2 other computers that are windows based. 

post-56754-0-76118700-1398626624_thumb.jpeg

Very soon to be converting my Dell 3721, awaiting the new wireless card the AR5B195

I'd like to bump up the RAM to 8gb, any suggestions on brand that works well with OSX and this Laptop?

Not sure if this has (2)2gb sticks from the factory or (1)4gb stick

Thanks

Paul

Paul;

Unlike Apple, Dell seems to understand that customers don't want to have to "throw away" their factory-installed RAM when they choose to upgrade it - Dell used a single 4 Gig module in my Inspiron 17-3721, leaving the other memory slot EMPTY, so it was a simple matter to buy a "matching" 4 Gig module and install it. Here's what I'd recommend you ADD to your Dell 17-3721:

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-1600MHz-PC3-12800-Notebook-KVR16S11S8/dp/B008CP5R8K/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1401894693&sr=1-5&keywords=pc3-12800+1600mhz+ddr3

Of course, if you want to go beyond 8 Gig, then you would need to sell/recycle the factory-installed 4 Gig module. NOTE: Memory installation is a SNAP, as there's a dedicated compartment in the bottom for accessing the Dell's memory slots - just remember to use a wrist "grounding strap" for the entire process, including removal of the new RAM from its packaging. Solid State devices like memory modules are subject to damage from ESD (Electro-Static Discharge), and can be damaged/destroyed by improper handling. This applies to other circuitry inside most computers as well.

Good luck!