[How To] Dell Inspiron17 3721 - Fully Working

hibernian56

Mike,

Thanks!  I am very comfortable inside the hardware part of the computers, the deep software is my sticking points!  I just sort of thought that certain memory brands work without issue on Hacks and others do not.  I will stay with Kingston :)

I am soon in the next couple of days to start the install on the Dell.  Is there issues with upgrading AFTER you get osx up and running?   If I am ok with what I see on the Dell and its worth the upgrade I will go to 16gb likely.  I will do some occasional photography work on this laptop

Sorry a real noob to the hackintosh world!

I do have a desktop running Maverick but I want to redo.  I used a 3rd party install and didnt learn too much.  The Dell, and this guide, is my learn tool then go back and re-do my desktop.

Thanks for the help!

Paul

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Paul;

If I give anyone advice on hardware updates/modifications, I always try to "err on the side of caution", and assume they may NOT have the necessary experience/knowledge to safely do the work. That's why I gave you the detaled instructions for avoiding ESD damage in my post - better safe than sorry! (GRIN)

There is normally no problem updating the memory AFTER any Mac OS-X install - unlike Windows, the Mac doesn't require special configuration (like BIOS setting updates) when RAM amounts change - it just USES IT!

I find that no matter how many times I do one of these installs, be it on a desktop "tower" or a laptop, I always learn something new. This is especially true when I do an "incremental" system update (like going from 10.9.2 to 10.9.3) - it almost always "breaks" something, which I have to figure out how to fix. That example is DEFINITELY a learning process"!

Good luck!

Mike,

Thanks.  Not sure if I should post here are start a new thread.  Let me know if I need to start new.

I created the usb install with Myhack 3.3.1   formatted the usb, installed per myhack instructions.

I have gotten to the part of "beer"  (see stout in foreground) and the Apple install screen.  I am stuck at such with a stop symbol.  

I am going to try Myhack again on a different USB

There was an attempted osx install still lingering on this HDD.  Do I need to gparted this before I start over?

I have no experience using "MyHack" with the Inspiron 17-3721, so I can't offer any advice or tips on that method of installing. That said, if you are successful using MyHack to install OS-X, then please post all the details of your install process here, as I'm sure others who are following this post would be very grateful for any tips/suggestions you can give them (me included!) I'm running Mavericks (10.9.3) on one, but have yet to solve the NO WEBCAM issue. It works on my 10.8.4 boot disk (external USB), but since I'm still unclear on which Kexts the built-in WebCam uses, I haven't been able to solve the problem. (I tried copying the Apple_iSight.kext file from the "working" 10.8.4 disk, but it didn't enable the WebCam in 10.9.3. That's why I suspect there are more files "in play" for getting it working on Mavericks 10.9.3 than just that Kext alone...)

Mike,

Thanks.  Not sure if I should post here are start a new thread.  Let me know if I need to start new.

I created the usb install with Myhack 3.3.1   formatted the usb, installed per myhack instructions.

I have gotten to the part of "beer"  (see stout in foreground) and the Apple install screen.  I am stuck at such with a stop symbol.  

I am going to try Myhack again on a different USB

There was an attempted osx install still lingering on this HDD.  Do I need to gparted this before I start over?

you might have applied myhack's mbr fix...this also causes the error..   Anyway restart myhack again and this time dont use myhack's mbr fix  instead try 3rd party mbr patch thats what i did  ....Hope it helps

PS this worked on mine.. not sure if it will on yours just try and reply

Hi, first, a big special thanks for your guide :)

Well, i have installed on my 3721 but with differences, i have begun with niresh distro, that it installs a "base" system and over mavericks, 10.9.0.

I have installed nearvy full working, sill a few issues (in To-Do list)

-Audio: changed your version to 2.8.5, without edit any, install and works.

-Graphics card: i'm using chimera (chameleon, stolen and rebranded), adding on boot "IGPEnabler=y" and works, nothing else.

-Ethernet: I download a kext (found on insanelymac, driver for realtek's rtl810x fast ethernet series). Simply works fine.

-WiFi, i replaced the wireless card, now using ar5b195, to use wifi, only did and id inyector on kext. Bluethoot, i used the firmware that u attached on your first post.

ToDo:

-Update to 10.9.5 (no real time atm)

-Have to change a bit boot flags, to can log in on icloud, Seems that is needed a Built-in ethernet, using en0. 2nd part is done (works over en0), but for first part i have to add a pair of lines on chameleon plist, or at least is what i read...

-Search and search about if our trackpad can work with Elan Touchpad.

-Add brightness control with Fn keys... (i think that for that i'll have to learn how to edit dsdt >_<)

I hope that this info can help people :)