D430 Kernel Panic because kexts fail to load

Antithesis

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, I'm one step further, but still no dice. Here's what I did:

Here's the revised process with myHack 3.2 Beta8:

1. download the bootpack to some specific place (where you'll find it afterwards). It'll automatically unzip as "Extra".
  2. using myHack 3.2, create your 10.7 installer on your USB key, pointing to your Lion app when prompted for it.
  3. after USB installer is created, re-run myHack and opt for "Create Extra", select "My own" and point to your downloaded boot pack "Extra" folder.
  4. download Chameleon Wizard, run it and let it update to the latest version 4.2.2 & relaunch. In Install tab, select Chameleon revision 2248 or above then select your USB installer as target partition and click on Install button.
  5. boot off your USB installer and install Lion. Towards the end, when prompted for Extra folder, choose "My own" and point to the "Extra" folder at the root of your USB installer.
  6. reboot off your USB installer but interrupt the startup and select your freshly installed Lion HDD partition. This will get you to 1st boot installation finalisation. If you have a Bluetooth module and it's enabled in BIOS, you're highly likely to get an error message about a lack of keyboard. That's because the system is looking for a BT keyboard/Trackpad. Either disable BT in BIOS or plug in a USB keyboard to get rid of this problem.
  7. Once you get to the desktop, download and install Chameleon Wizard as in step 4 above and update your Lion HDD partition to Chameleon revision 2248 or above. You'll then be able to boot it properly.

NB: Chameleon always kicks off the 1st HDD partition; as such, if you have multiple HDD partitions, make sure you update the correct partition to Cham r2248 or above as it may not necessarily be your Lion partition for instance. 

Afterwards, follow the EDP process as detailed in my previous message.

Well, I got as far as point 6. In the Chameleon installer, I used the newest revision, not 2248, but it should be fine. The installation seemed to work as well, and it rebooted automatically, but when I tried to boot from the HDD using the Chameleon that was on the stick, it took a while and then I got the following errors:

h_1375292790_1671613_22e5713e4b.jpg

It got stuck at nstat_lookup_entry_failed: 2 for quite a while before the last line appeared. It stayed stuck on that line. Anyone?

Well, I don't have any problems with my 10.7.2 version that I then update to 10.7.5. Which Lion version are you installing?

It was a 10.7.4 image. I'll try installing 10.7.2.

what dell bios version are you at? latest dell bios?

I have bios version A07, released on 2008-5-16. The latest version is A09, released on 2010-1-22. I'll only flash my BIOS if everything else won't work. In case it's needed: the site doesn't list anything newer than Windows XP as a supported platform to run the .exe on. Would it be wise to install from Windows 7 or 8 anyway?

Also, just wondering: why exactly does the BIOS version matter?

• Administrators

You can look at Dell's site for features or bug fixes brought through each version of Firmware. I strongly recommend you update to last version A09 as this is what we've validated OS X installation with. You won't break anything, far from it and you can run the BIOS Flash update from Win7 if you so wish. But if you don't have Win installed, just use a USB key, either a DOS bootable one or a "recovery" one with just the BIOS .hdr file.

You'll find many posts on the forum on that particular matter.

• Administrators

Can you check your CPU in the BIOS? You need a Core2Duo like U7600 or U7700 CPU as Lion does not support Core Solo or Core Duo CPUs.  Also, make sure you do not have an Intel wireless card in that laptop. All will be listed in System Info page of the BIOS.

PS: CPUs are not interchangeable on the D420/430; they're soldered to the motherboard.