D430 Kernel Panic because kexts fail to load

Antithesis

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you check your CPU in the BIOS? You need a Core2Duo like U7600 or U7700 CPU as Lion does not support Core Solo or Core Duo CPUs.  Also, make sure you do not have an Intel wireless card in that laptop. All will be listed in System Info page of the BIOS.

PS: CPUs are not interchangeable on the D420/430; they're soldered to the motherboard.

The processor type is Intel® Core2 Duo processor. The ID is 06FD. The Wi-Fi device is Intel Wireless, but that shouldn't be reason why the whole system can't install, right?

Nope, no dice. I've disabled Wi-fi, then tried booting into the HDD using the USB stick, as well as completely reinstalling with wi-fi disabled and then booting into the HDD the same way, but it all results in the same error. It hangs at "Resetting IOCatalogue."

do you have AppleACPIPlatform.kext version 1.3.5 in your Extra folder?

Here is the version.plist inside /Extra/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/. It says version=1.0, but it also says 1.3.5. It seems like it's the correct one.

By the way, there's also an ExtraBackups folder on the stick. Does that sound correct?

I've tried many a thing, but all to no avail. I've decided to try installing OS X 10.6 instead, according to these instructions again, simply with a different image and bootpack. However, when booting from it, it told me that "Mac OS X cannot be installed on this system" and instead offered me to recover from a Time Machine backup, or to restart. Are the instructions different when trying to install OS X 10.6?

• Administrators

You need a retail version of Snow Leopard: 10.6.0 or 10.6.3. I believe Apple's final release 10.6.8 should also be available as a retail version as Apple re-offered it through AppStore for download a few months back.

You need a retail version of Snow Leopard: 10.6.0 or 10.6.3. I believe Apple's final release 10.6.8 should also be available as a retail version as Apple re-offered it through AppStore for download a few months back.

I did in fact use retail versions for 10.7 as well as 10.6. Sorry if that wasn't clear.