Help with setting up E6420

Hamish Claxton

Hey guys

I recently got received a Dell Latitude E6420 for a new laptop as an upgrade from the MacBook Pro Mid 2009 model, and decided to install hackintosh it. My specifications are as follows:

• BIOS Version A19
  • Intel Core i7-2640M 2.8GHz 
  • 8GB DDR3 1333MHz 2 DIMMs
  • 512MB NVIDIA NVS 4200M 14.0†HD+ (1600x900) Anti-Glare LED/Intel HD3000
  • Seagate 500GB
  • Dell Wireless Bluetooth 375
  • Intel 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet
  • Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205
  • Integrated HD video webcam
  • IDT Audio
  • HDMI
  • SD Card Reader

Using a bootpack from the last page of the E6420 research thread and a few modifications, I have been able to get the following working on OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.4:

• Audio (Using a patched AppleHDA)
  • Keyboard brightness
  • Trackpad/Keyboard
  • Ethernet
  • DVD Drive
  • USB and eSATA
  • HDMI Output (No Audio)
  • Bluetooth (Cannot turn off?)
  • Shutdown and Restart

Things not working:

• HDMI Audio out
  • Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 (Its a given, need to be replaced)
  • Turning off Bluetooth as it is always on
  • SD Card Reader
  • VGA (Macs don't have a VGA port, so I'm not worried)
  • Screen Brightness
  • Webcam
  • Sleep

I've been trying to disable the NVIDIA GPU as it uses a lot of power, but everything I have done so far has failed. I know that with the HD3000 you can get sleep working, VGA and HDMI working. So any help disabling the NVIDIA NVS 4200M will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advanced

Hamish 

• Administrators

Re: Bluetooth, in Systems Information, you probably see your Bluetooth module listed in a similar fashion as below:

SysInfo_Bluetooth.png

Take a note of the Vendor Id & Product Id. Convert these Hex numbers to Decimal. Then open up the contents of IOBluetoothFamily kext in /S/L/E and go to the PlugIns subfolder. If you have a CSR module, make a copy of CSRUSBBluetoothHCIController kext to your desktop, otherwise, check the other Controller kexts and do the same.

Open up the contents of that kext and, using your above Dec values, text edit the Info.plist file in a similar fashion as illustrated below, keeping only your particular module description in the file (no need for the others):

BT-module_Info-plist.png

Move or copy the patched kext to /E/E, rebuild permissions and kext cache with myFix and reboot.

You should then obtain the missing BT On/Off option in the top bar scroll-down menu:

Bluetooth_scrolldown_menu.png

PS: These Bluetooth kexts appear to be different at each OS X mainstream version or even revision. A such, it's strongly recommended to do the same each time you update or install Mac OS X to ensure it'll work.

• Like 1