[Solved] Dell Vostro 200 not booting after graphic card change

vgupta

Hello everyone at OS X Latitude,

I have added a PCI graphics card to my Dell Vostro 200 Desktop. I got a Nvidea geforce gt 610 pci express card from PNY. My Windows 7 Professional boots fine, but my Mac mountain lion stopped working. It is stuck at [ PCI configuration begin ]. If I plug it into the original on-board VGA port, it works fine. What is the problem behind this? I am using a 1024MB DDR3 card. I know Hervé wrote in his Vostro 200 guide to use a 2GB card, but it was too expensive to I just got a 1GB card. Is there problem because of the Windows. I am using GUID partition layout. First, I installed Mac, then I installed Windows. Somehow, after installing Windows, the computer boots up to Windows by default. The only way to get to Mac is to plug in my myHack USB installer and boot using that. Again, USB booting worked using on-board video card. Is there a problem because I am booting via USB installer to my Mac partition, or because of some graphic card problem. I also remember that right after my Mac Mountain Lion installation(which was before I got my graphics card) that it said Installation Failed. I just ignored it, because it appeared that it was working fine eventhough it said Installation failed.Could that be the case? 

Thanks

vgupta

Your OSx partition isn't booting because it isn't active since you installed Windows after installing OSx. You will need to make it active. Once you make it active you will boot into Chameleon and can choose which operating system to boot into. To make it active do the following:

1. Open Applications/Utilities/Terminal.
  2. Type diskutil list
  3. Write down the IDENTIFIER of your Apple_HFS Mountain Lion drive. I'm using this example: disk0s2. (change the number after rdisk below to your disk number if different)
  4. Type sudo -s
  5. Enter your password.
  6. Type fdisk -u /dev/rdisk0 
  7. Type y
  8. Type fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0
  9. Type p (this will tell you which partition OSx is installed on)
  10. Type f 2
  11. Type w
  12. Type y
  13.  Type Exit to Close Terminal and then reboot.

You should now boot into Chameleon. Interrupt the loading by tapping the enter key, and use the left and right arrow keys to highlight the OS you wish to boot into and hit Enter.  If you do not boot into Chameleon you may have to reinstall it. Use you USB to boot into OSx, go to Applications, click on the MyHack application, enter your password, then using the drop down menu, choose Install Chameleon, choose to install it to your OSx drive.

Your Graphics card probably needs a kext or injection to work, if you let us know which version of Mountain Lion you are running, someone here will assist you. It is recommended you update to the version you want using your on board graphics prior to posting.

Your OSx partition isn't booting because it isn't active since you installed Windows after installing OSx. You will need to make it active. Once you make it active you will boot into Chameleon and can choose which operating system to boot into. To make it active do the following:

1. Open Applications/Utilities/Terminal.
  2. Type diskutil list
  3. Write down the IDENTIFIER of your Apple_HFS Mountain Lion drive. I'm using this example: disk0s2. (change the number after rdisk below to your disk number if different)
  4. Type sudo -s
  5. Enter your password.
  6. Type fdisk -u /dev/rdisk0 
  7. Type y
  8. Type fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0
  9. Type p (this will tell you which partition OSx is installed on)
  10. Type f 2 <- (use the partition number you got above after f)
  11. Type w
  12. Type y
  13.  Type Exit to Close Terminal and then reboot.

You should now boot into Chameleon. Interrupt the loading by tapping the enter key, and use the left and right arrow keys to highlight the OS you wish to boot into and hit Enter.  If you do not boot into Chameleon you may have to reinstall it. Use you USB to boot into OSx, go to Applications, click on the MyHack application, enter your password, then using the drop down menu, choose Install Chameleon, choose to install it to your OSx drive.

Your Graphics card probably needs a kext or injection to work, if you let us know which version of Mountain Lion you are running, someone here will assist you. It is recommended you update to the version you want using your on board graphics prior to posting.

Thanks for the guide, Darvinko.

I reinstalled my Chameleon and the Chameleon screen came without making Mac active. Is making it active necessary? It shows Mac and Windows now in the boot screen. I am using OS X 10.8.4, as I have made the myHack installer a few days ago. Now my problem is [PCI Configuration Begin ] freeze. Mac works using my on-board video card, but freezes at [ PCI Configuration Begin ] when I plug in my graphic card and use that. As in this post: https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2032-dell-vostro-200/&do=findComment&comment=17731Hervé has said that no patching was required. I have the same card except mine is from PSY, not Twintech and my card is 1GB ddr3 card, whereas his is 2GB DDR3 ram. Do I need any patching?

Thanks

vgupta

If it is booting to the Chameleon screen, it is active. I read the entry indicating no patching was necessary, but I am not as familiar with your machine and your setup or the Graphics card used as Hervé is. The different vendor and device ID's can impact how they work with the system and whether they will work OOB or not. His familiarity with the system makes him the one to check with. In the meantime, you can try GraphicsEnabler=Yes at boot.

• Administrators

Hi,

Indeed the nVidia GeForce GT610 that I used worked OOB after being installed in my Vostro 200 which had existing Lion & ML installations. If you looked at the pictures I attached in my guide, you will have noticed the card's PCI id: vendor 0x10de (=nVidia), product 0x104a.

A few questions:

• Are you using latest BIOS (1.0.16) and is it configured as per recommended settings (granted you may not have the modified BIOS but the standard one)?
  • after inserting the PNY card, did you change your BIOS settings to select PCIe video, not built-in GMA 3100?
  • does your card PNY card have the same PCI ids as my Twintech?
  • can you post a screencopy of Chameleon Wizard Install + boot +  SMBIOS + Modules tabs (the tool is available here: http://www.osx86.net/view/3881-chameleon_wizard_4.2.2.html) ?
  • can you post a screencopy or results of Terminal command lspci -nn ?
  • can you list the kexts you have in /Extra/Extensions? :excl: I've just noticed that the ML bootpack retained the AT1300Controller + EVOenabler kexts and these MUST GO (ATI X1300 not supported by ML and EVOenabler not compatible with nVidia card - it's EVOenabler that causes the freeze). If you have those 2 kexts, delete them and redo a myHack->myFix (full).

Examples:

Vostro200_boot-plist.png

Vostro200_lspci.png

Regarding boot process itself, installing Windows after Mac OS will indeed make only the Windows partition bootable and kind of hide the existing OS X partition. No need to worry. There's an alternative to Darvinko's method to re-instate the Mac OS partition: use the DISKPART utility from a DOS/Command window and set your Mac OS partition to active (in your case, it would be the 1st partition).

Yes, I am using the latest Bios(1.0.16) (unmodded). I do not know the recommended settings, so can you send that to me.

Also, when I saw the "Init Display First" in the BIOS, it says PCI Slot or PCIEx. I tried both, but both hang.

I deleted AT1300Controller + EVOenabler kexts from the /Extra/Extensions/ and ran Myfix(full) from myhack, but it still hangs at [ PCI configuration begin ].

Should I run the terminal command and Chameleon Wizard you said to do from the on-board VGA, because even the installer is hanging in [ PCI configuration begin ].

Actually, I am not sure about the PCI id, but this is the link: http://www3.pny.com/GT-610-1024MB-PCIe-P3186C523.aspx.

Is it possible to just re-install Mac on that machine? One more problem...(the installer also hangs at the same spot). Should I delete the same kexts in the installer and run Myfix?

Thanks

vgupta

• Administrators

BIOS settings are at top of this Dell desktop section!

Yes do everything from on-board video mode if stuck otherwise and yes, delete those kexts from USB installer too.

Please note that I did initially boot my USB installer with myHack's Generic bootpack, then made the bootpack step by step. If you're stuck, try that.

BIOS settings are at top of this Dell desktop section!

Yes do everything from on-board video mode if stuck otherwise and yes, delete those kexts from USB installer too.

Please note that I did initially boot my USB installer with myHack's Generic bootpack, then made the bootpack step by step. If you're stuck, try that.

Hello everyone,

My dell vostro 200 started working! After research, it looked like a lot of people's PNY graphics cards were giving the same error. I then tried -v npci=0x3000 in the chameleon via myhack generic and it started working.

Thanks

vgupta