Someone please direct me to an appropriate guide...

lcsmdna

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

Silly me, it wasn't due a kext in /E/E (EDP system build's default settings do not use VoodooHDA audio kext), I forgot that ModCD puts some kexts directly in /S/L/E. In this particular case, it's VoodooHDA v2.7.2 which appears incompatible with 10.6.8 (later versions are Ok though).

Anyway, I've reproduced your issue and here's how you can fix things:

• boot with -x flag
  • once on the Mac OS X desktop, browse to /System/Library/Extensions folder and delete the VoodooHDA kext that ModCD placed in there
  • reboot and you should be Ok

This is the reason why we always advocate to use myHack as installation tool: myHack uses kexts placed in /Extra/Extensions, bumps up their version and copies them to a PlugIns folder of myHack.kext in /S/L/E for subsequent loading at boot time and integration in kext cache . The great advantage of this method is that it leaves /S/L/E completely Vanilla and that any additional or replacement kext must be placed in /E/E to be taken into account.

To enjoy a cleaner installation, you could now make your myHack installer USB key and re-install SL from scratch. We'll then see at how you can optimize your SL installation a bit further.

NB: I've updated my previous guidance posts to reflect this.

So I booted fine into desktop with -x. But there is no "VoodooHDA.kext" in Extra/Extensions  :wacko: . I rebooted normally just to make sure, and it still gives the exact same kernel panic, mentioning VoodooHDA.kext. 

However there is VoodooBattery, VoodooTSCSync and VoodooPState (which I assume has nothing to do with the problem but letting you know anyway).

Also under "/" volume, there are the folders: backup, Backup Extensions, Extra.backup.24-08-13.00-09 and ExtraBackups.
Maybe these aren't supposed to be there? Again I have no idea, but the kernel panic definitely still says "VoodooHDA" and the "dependency: com.apple" stuff.

Ah, my bad. Looked at the wrong post I think.

Ok I found it and deleted it, I then did a myFix like Bronxteck indicated. 

I am very pleased to say that my d630 booted into Snow Leopard 10.6.8 with no more issues :).

Thank you both for being so dedicated and helping me out. Cheers!

Not to sound completely helpless but could you direct me to where I can find a kext sound driver for d630 snow leopard? And also the process to get this kext installed? I don't want to carelessly install something and ruin what I've spent so much time trying to get to work :P

• Administrators

The EDP System Build includes all that. The default settings for the D630 Intel LoRes 1280x800 does include the patched AppleHDA kexts. You would see those in /E/E (AppleHDA + FakeSTAC9205 + IOaudioFamily + OSvKernDSPLib).

Personally, I prefer to modify that choice in EDP and opt for VoodooHDA#3. It uses less kexts and then the audio icon in the menu bar is fully functional (you see the level go up and down - something not happening with AppleHDA/STAC9205).