Dell Latitude D830 Apple Lid Light Mod

JTylerBlake

Something I have thought of for a long time is modding my Dell Latitude D830 Quadro NVS 135M OS X Mavericks to look like a Macbook Pro. I know I can't make the laptop sleek and made out of aluminum, unless I go extravagant and make a 3D CAD and make new connections for everything by repositioning every port and connect them with wire, 3D print a new chassis to look like a Macbook Pro, use electrostatic to make an aluminum plating. But that is beside the point. I am wanting to make a mod to make the front of my D830 to have the Apple logo on it to light up. I'm making a 3D drawing of it right now. I have researched that the apple logo light comes from the backlight from the LCD. I'm going to order a new lid off of eBay and make an Apple logo cutout of it. Then I'm going to see if there is enough light from the backlight in the LCD to light up the Apple logo. If not, I measured the power light in the right hinge the see how much voltage it is and 2.0V is the currency. I will then put some LEDs in the Apple logo to light it up. But that is the scenario I will have to go with if I can't light the Apple with the backlight. If you have any suggestions for me, or if you are wanting to try this project, comment!

• Administrators

Hi,

You probably know it, but that sort of mod has been done before, though maybe not on a D830. There are quite a few vids on youtube and various forums that show the results. I think we might even have a forum member here who had done this same mod and gave the details, but I can't be 100% certain.

I just did it the absolute ghetto way by taking one of the stickers Apple provided with any new computer and attaching over the Dell logo of my D830. From far away, it looks like the real thing, except it doesn't light up and is little too big. I'm not too technically savy enough for that kind of mod, and I plan on selling this in the future to get a real Mac laptop.

Good luck with your experiment. Please do post photos of the final product!