Precicion 390 Mountain Lion 10.8.0

leptitdav

Hi,

In first time sorry for my English..

I would like to run iMovie 11 on my computer. I downloaded the Mountain Lion 10.8.0 of Niresh. I install by usb bootable.

My config :

Dell Precicion 390

Network : Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller

Audio : SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC

Video : NVIDIA Quadro FX 3500

After install of ML the computer doesn't start. Before adjusting the problem this video card is compatible with Quartz Extreme?

For information I have already installed this version on Optiplex 760 but my video card is an ATI Radeon HD3450 and she obviously is not compatible with Quartz Extreme. You confirm this?

Thanks for all

• Administrators

Sorry, we don't support that kind of installations here, they're often too hazardous and difficult to control. How about trying out a Vanilla installation with myHack, starting with its generic boot pack?

I'm not sure that Quadro FX3500 can be supported in ML, it's quite an old card. At best, you probably need to patch the required kext with PCI ids. You'll need to identify those (easily done through lspci -nn Terminal command if you boot with lspci kext or by browsing through the device driver properties in Windows if you still run that) as well as the GPU chip to figure out which nVidia kext may need patching.

Be prepared to change to a fully compatible card; that's what I had to do on my Precision 670 as the original old Quadro FX1400 was not supported in SL.

Thanks for your answer.

If my video card doesn't work with ML I stop now with this computer.

I looked in the closet and I found a Latitude D630 with nVidia Quadro NVS 135M. In your signature I saw that you had the same laptop with the same graphic card and obviously ML 10.8.4 work. But Quartz extreme is ok or not ? (always for use Imovie 11).

How about trying out a Vanilla installation with myHack, starting with its generic boot pack?

How I can do that ? I'll get on this forum waiting your answer.

Thanks

• Administrators

'just checked the specs of the Precision 390 and it does not look like that machine could support ML at all. It may not even support Lion. It's listed as supporting Intel Core and Pentium 4/D/Extreme and I don't think these do for L or ML which both require Core2Duo minimum. You'd be Ok with Snow Leopard though.

No problems with your D630, whether it is nVidia or Intel Crestline X3100 based for graphics. With the former, you can run all recent Mac OS X versions from SL to Mavericks, with the latter, you can run SL and L natively in 32bit kernel mode and ML only with MLPF hack.

'just checked the specs of the Precision 390 and it does not look like that machine could support ML at all. It may not even support Lion. It's listed as supporting Intel Core and Pentium 4/D/Extreme and I don't think these do for L or ML which both require Core2Duo minimum. You'd be Ok with Snow Leopard though.

@leptitdav

Regarding Herve's comment on the CPU, note that later models of the Precision 390 did have Core2Duo, I know because i have 390 with a C2D 6600 2.4GHz.  So you should check your machine, it may have a C2D (look up the Service Tag at Dell.com if unsure, it will tell you the configuration).  Assuming you ever upgrade the video card you may still want to give it a try.  I have not tried installing as I also have the older FX 4500 Quadro in the Precision 390.  I am working on installing an Optiplex 745 now with a new Geforce GTX 650 video card, if that works, I'll probably buy another 650 card and try to get the 390 working as well.