ML on E6430 with Intel HD4000 only

ktbos

First off, congratulations on getting the video working, that was a bit of trial and error.

That's an understatement!!  Thanks to you and Hervé and Bronxteck for generating the ideas that got me to the solution. 

As you can see it's basically the same hardware as yours.

Yeah, that's interesting.  Especially that the video card is the same - same ID and same rev number - and yet for some reason we needed different PlatformIDs for the Framebuffer.  There must be a good reason for that, I would love to know what it is. 

I don't have a built-in bluetooth, but from my bootpack, there's an option folder that contains the bluetooth kext, it's working for others from this forum. The card reader kext voodooSDHC has an issue when coming back from sleep and will cause an initialize error you noted above, I've tried changing the deviceID, but it only allow me to read the SD card but error won't go away. Since I don't use the reader much, I don't include it. Will have to test other kext when I have more time, but it's not a priority for me.

I moved the Bluetooth and the SD kexts out of the Option folder and into the main Extensions folder back at the beginning of my process.  So they are in the myHack.kext.  In fact, you can see the error from the Bluetooth one in my post. 

There is no error about the SD kext, which must be loaded since it is causing the error you mention.  And yet it doesn't recognize the SD device.  All the trouble with none of the benefits. 

I'm going to need to look into details on the Bluetooth and SD device another time. 

For the touchpad, the latest version 7 will work but you have to set the preference after each reboot. For some reason it doesn't save the settings, the developer have not come back with a solution yet. With that kext, you'll be able to scroll with the trackpad. 2 finger scrolling hadn't work for me, perhaps need more tweaking with preference pane. I don't use the trackpad for scrolling as much as I do with the trackstick. With that kext, trackstick scrolling is not possible and you lose the ability to drag as well. If you use the trackstick more like I do, I would recommend sticking with the current kext and install smartscroll.  You can scroll with the trackstick with the middle button like you would on Windows with this freeware.

:excl: Note: if you decide to go with the trackpad kext for scrolling, you'll notice that you have to put more pressure on the trackpad in order to move after each reboot until your set the Z value. Just move it over a bit, if you move it too far right, you'll lose trackpad capability!

Thanks for the summary about the trackpad.  I tend not to use the scrolling so much in Windows but was willing to give the Mac method a go.  But I'd have no patience for needing to reset the z value on every boot nor any other weirdness.  Hopefully somebody has the time to get that working well.  (Wish I had the time and the knowledge!!) 

Audio should work with the modded AppleHDA. It's not perfect, but HDMI Audio works as well with this kext. When you remove the display patch from the DSDT, did you remove anything else? Were you able to recompile it successfully after removing the patch?

Audio is definitely not working at all.  This is the one that is most perplexing right now.  No, I didn't remove anything else from your DSDT other than what I pasted above.  And yes, it compiled fine.  Is there something in what I deleted that maybe I shouldn't have?  I vaguely remember when I did a safe boot, before video was working, I got a slew of myHack kexts that failed and I'm pretty sure all the HDA/Audio ones were in that batch.  I chalked it up to being in Safe Mode and indeed when it began working in not-safe mode (danger mode!?), there were fewer failures.  So that would have been with your DSDT unchanged and with your Framebuffer kext when it wasn't working for me.  And yes, your device ID is identical to mine.  I suppose since it is wrapped up in the display driver and our hardware IDs match there but we needed different drivers, it shouldn't be too surprising that Audio is following a similar pattern.  Ugh. 

Oh yes, the DW1510 wireless card will work OOB, it will detect as a third-party wireless device. If you want to rebrand it to an airport extreme card, follow this article. The one from Dell is most likely an Intel wireless and that will probably never be supported.

Again, great info.  Thanks!  I'll get the order out for that shortly. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update on Audio:  Forget what I wrote above about the Audio and Video being tied together and maybe problems with one are related to the other.  I removed the original AppleHDA.kext from S/L/E.  Then I moved the bootpack AppleHDA.kext from Extra to S/L/E.  I ran myHack myFix Quick and rebooted.  Audio mostly works now.  And no complaints about kexts that couldn't be loaded. 

Is it possible there is a problem with the latest version of myHack and kexts that have nested kexts in them?  If it is the same kext as was in Extra but now it is working in S/L/E that means there must be something procedural causing the error messages I was getting?

But Audio is only mostly working. 

• I can adjust the volume in the pref panel successfully but only the top 75% of the slider is audible - you get to effectively mute at about the 25% mark. 
  • The icon in the menubar does not update when you update in the pref panel
  • The slider from the menubar does not update when you change the pref panel
  • When you update the menubar slider, the pref pane slider updates on the second change
  • If you use the audio keyboard buttons (actually next to the keyboard but effectively still keyboard buttons), volume down always goes one notch down from max and volume up always puts it at max, regardless of what it was before

Is this list of issues commonplace with the modified AppleHDA or unique for my computer?  Any known fixes?  Do we know where the modified AppleHDA came from and what modifications were made?  Is it possible that the changes are for an earlier version of MacOS and need to be updated for my 10.8.4? 

I can start with the latest 10.8.4 original AppleHDA kext and make modifications if there's any knowledge about what was changed in the bootpack one or what should be changed.  I found this article about patching AppleHDA but I don't want to start down that process if there are easy fixes or tweaks or a better place to start. 

• Moderators

• starting with version 1.7.8, install the VoodooPS2Daemon

sudo cp org.rehabman.voodoo.driver.Daemon.plist /Library/LaunchDaemons

sudo cp VoodooPS2Daemon /usr/bin

https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller/wiki/How-to-Install​

i believe thats to store settings.

org.rehabman.voodoo.driver.Daemon.plist doesn't exist in bpedman's download. Had to get it from RehabMan's voodoops2Controller package. Copied it to /Library/LaunchDaemons and repair permission, rebooted, changed preference settings, reboot, same result. Still won't save settings.

• Moderators

But Audio is only mostly working. 

• I can adjust the volume in the pref panel successfully but only the top 75% of the slider is audible - you get to effectively mute at about the 25% mark. 
  • The icon in the menubar does not update when you update in the pref panel
  • The slider from the menubar does not update when you change the pref panel
  • When you update the menubar slider, the pref pane slider updates on the second change
  • If you use the audio keyboard buttons (actually next to the keyboard but effectively still keyboard buttons), volume down always goes one notch down from max and volume up always puts it at max, regardless of what it was before

Is this list of issues commonplace with the modified AppleHDA or unique for my computer?  Any known fixes?  Do we know where the modified AppleHDA came from and what modifications were made?  Is it possible that the changes are for an earlier version of MacOS and need to be updated for my 10.8.4? 

I can start with the latest 10.8.4 original AppleHDA kext and make modifications if there's any knowledge about what was changed in the bootpack one or what should be changed.  I found this article about patching AppleHDA but I don't want to start down that process if there are easy fixes or tweaks or a better place to start. 

This modded kext was for an E6530 with OSX 10.8.2. It's working just as you described above on my E6x30 series with IDT 92HD93. I don't have the details as to what was done, as mod was done by one of the developer here. You can take a look at his tutorial on how to here: https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1946-complete-applehda-patching-guide/

This modded kext was for an E6530 with OSX 10.8.2. It's working just as you described above on my E6x30 series with IDT 92HD93. I don't have the details as to what was done, as mod was done by one of the developer here. You can take a look at his tutorial on how to here: https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1946-complete-applehda-patching-guide/

I've gotten the audio controls working better.  I made some changes in the Platforms.xml file of AppleHDA.  Here's my version:

Give it a try, Jake, and let me know if it improves things for you.  Details on what I did are in the AppleHDA thread

It's still a 10.8.2 version.  I tried using 10.8.4 and making all the changes myself but apparently, I didn't get it completely right and the result was no audio at all.  Oh well, good thing the 10.8.2 version still works - and hopefully will for 10.8.5 too. 

Volume could be a little louder on both speaker and headphones.  My tests were loud enough but not so loud that I'm confident that I'd be able to hear things with low source volume.  If anyone has suggestions on how to tweak the AppleHDA to improve that, let me know.  (And yes, I've asked the same on the AppleHDA thread.) 

• Moderators

I've gotten the audio controls working better.  I made some changes in the Platforms.xml file of AppleHDA.  Here's my version:

Give it a try, Jake, and let me know if it improves things for you.  Details on what I did are in the AppleHDA thread

It's still a 10.8.2 version.  I tried using 10.8.4 and making all the changes myself but apparently, I didn't get it completely right and the result was no audio at all.  Oh well, good thing the 10.8.2 version still works - and hopefully will for 10.8.5 too. 

Volume could be a little louder on both speaker and headphones.  My tests were loud enough but not so loud that I'm confident that I'd be able to hear things with low source volume.  If anyone has suggestions on how to tweak the AppleHDA to improve that, let me know.  (And yes, I've asked the same on the AppleHDA thread.) 

Nice work ktbos!

Just tested your modded kext on 10.8.5, works nicely. Very happy with the slider finally synching when you change volume up and down. There is a little lag when you change the volume either up or down initially, but not a big deal. I'm going to test it on Mavericks a bit later and report back with the result.

Update: Works on Mavericks too! Nice Work. Hope you figure out how to make it even louder.

I'll post back if I make any improvements in the Audio.  But today was more work on the Video.  I had previously reported that PlatformID 4 is the one that got my computer to boot with AppleIntelFramebuffer working.  But after some testing today, I realized that was only really by accident.  PlatformID 4 has only one port, the internal display, so I think it worked because it didn't have any settings that were incompatible.  But given the specs on PlatformID 4, it didn't match the capabilities of my laptop like PlatformID 3 did.  So I switched back to PlatformID 3 in my boot plist and did a hex edit on Framebuffer to get it to work.  (Had to change one bit from "02" to "00".) 

I continued with more hex edits to Framebuffer as detailed in the HD4000 post to get the HDMI working with Audio and then made the recommended DSDT edits to get that working too.  That works very nicely.  Though most of the time I won't be using HDMI - either the laptop alone or the laptop docked. 

DVI output from the port replicator seemed to work without any modifications.  Booting up with the laptop docked, everything works great.  Booting up with it undocked and then docking gets you an extended display, though; even if you close the lid/display, it still thinks the internal display is the main display.  I suppose you could set up mirroring but I don't think the internal display would know to go off.  And then there is booting up with it docked and later undocking: you lose the display and can't get it back without a hard shutdown.  I know the genuine Apple hardware doesn't have the notion of docking but is there a way to improve the handoff control? 

I was unable to get the VGA output working as a discrete port from the internal display.  (Careful readers may recall me previously saying I didn't have a VGA port on my laptop - sorry for the goof earlier.)  I think the VGA output is tied to the internal display somehow.  In fact, when you use the Fn-F8 key combo, you can switch to the VGA connector.  Although I wouldn't recommend it since it is garbled and confuses the hell out of MacOS since the MacOS was unaware that the video would be changing to a completely different object.  And the fact that VGA doesn't work well with HD4000 isn't too surprising since I don't think Apple sells any hardware with HD4000 and a VGA port. 

I'd like to get all this working a little better so any suggestions are appreciated.  I'll add my Framebuffer kext and my DSDT here after any edits to get things working better.  (I'm being optimistic!) 

I have no idea why, but docking and undocking are working now.  First, for docking, I close the lid first before docking and that seems to work better than docking and closing the lid as was suggested elsewhere;.  It's a little silly since it will sleep for that second, but it handles the displays correctly.  And now undocking works okay too - no change in my procedure, just kept trying?  (It's possible that setting the displays to mirroring one time got past something?)  

Now that I know I have that much working, I think it's a good time to share my two files described in the previous post here in this thread.  

AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext.zip

dsdt.aml.zip