Dell Latitude XT3 tablet PC

go4giraffe

DELL XT3 TABLET PC

OS X MAVERICKS INSTALL GUIDE

DISCLAIMER:
-------------------------

I am not responsible for your use of this guide. Read carefully...

First things first. This guide assumes you have the i5-2520M processor (re: "out-of-box" TurboBoost) and a variant of the factory Seagate Momentus Thin HDDs. All other hardware variations shouldn't much affect the install process. Second, as of writing this guide, the MBR patch in myHack 3.3.1 crashes the OS X installer and thereby will not be recommended, which pretty much means no dual or triple booting. Finally, this guide assumes you have access to a "Helper Mac", be it a virtualized OS, Hackintosh, or actual Mac.

BIOS settings: The default BIOS settings should be more than adequate. I do recommend updating your BIOS to rev. A12, just to keep it up to date.

What works: Keyboard, Touchpad, Dual pointer, Screen brightness, Volume buttons, Touchscreen (calibration is not possible, and if you touch with a finger, you must "untouch" with Dell Stylus), Sleep, HDMI, TurboBoost (with proper SSDT), Bluetooth, LAN, Firewire, Audio, almost everything E-Port (though I do not recommend you pop it on or off an E-Port dock while powered on).

What doesn't work: Integrated camera, Fingerprint reader (no software written for Mac to interact with the particular device), Tablet buttons, Wifi (as usual, you must swap factory Wifi module with compatible one), SD card reader (currently working on this), E-Port audio (worked in 10.8.x, looking into it on 10.9.x, still don't recommend connecting/disconnecting to E-port dock while powered on.)

What's untested: mSATA SSDs, VGA output (because, really... who uses that these days, anyways?), CAC card reader, Express card slot.

Else, it all a bag of coolbeans on a rainbow day with sunshine and bunny rabbits.  8-) If you want a better understanding of the touchscreen, download Angry Birds.  :mrgreen:

Step 1: Download OS X Mavericks from the App Store (free).

Step 2: Download myHack.

Step 3: Download Jake Lo's E6220 Mavericks bootpack, which can be found in his forum signature.

Step 4: Use Disk Utility on Helper Mac to format USB drive to a single Mac OS Extended file system partition with GUID partition table.

Step 5: Use myHack to Create OS X Installer 10.9. Do NOT install MBR patch.

Step 6: Use myHack to Install Extra, point it to Jake Lo's E6220 Mavericks bootpack.

Step 7: Insert USB drive into target XT3, boot USB from BIOS (F12), do not use any boot flags.

Step 8: Use Disk Utility through OS X Installer to partition target XT3 HDD as desired using Mac OS Extended file system partition(s) with GUID partition table. Proceed through installation. When asked about removing kexts, hit "yes", "yes", "no". After installation is complete, your XT3 may not restart properly on it's own. If this occurs, let it try for about 10 minutes before you power off manually by holding the power button. This will hopefully allow any remaining critical install processes/writes to complete, banking on the idea that something trivial is hanging it up. Remove USB drive from target XT3.

Step 9: Remove XT3 HDD and connect to Helper Mac via USB/SATA adapter. I personally use the adapters included with Seagate Backup Plus portable drives. Use myHack on Helper Mac to Install Chameleon onto target XT3 HDD. This is critical as Momentus Thin HDDs are 4K drives. If you don't know why this matters then research it for your own intellectual growth.

Step 10: Reinstall XT3 HDD, boot up to Apple-y goodness on the best hardware ever.

X-X-X-X-X=X-X-X-X-X    ORIGINAL THREAD START   X-X-X-X-X=X-X-X-X-X

Alright, I'm hoping someone can help here. After tons of research, I've come to the conclusion that the E6220 and XT3 lap/tab use almost the same hardware. Infact, I'm not sure why nobody noticed this earlier, I would think a touchscreen hackintosh would be excellent.

And it is. Right now I'm running 10.8 ML, which I managed to install using unifail (if we talk about that here). Right off the bat, a good portion of the system worked except audio, battery monitor, sleep, webcam,and wifi wifi from via booting with unifail. By the way I'm utilizing a Dell PRO3X port replicator as part of making this a desktop replacement, which is just cool AND convenient. Now, to get the XT3 to boot on it's own, I had to USB/SATA chimera (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) (chameleon, stolen and rebranded), and decided to EDP in the E6220 kexts. THIS CRASHED MY SYSTEM WITH A KERNEL PANIC. ODDLY, i rebooted with "-f", and low and behold, A NEARLY PERFECT SYSTEM! Touchscreen even works, but the calibration requires slight tweaking, though you can get used to it. However, a "nearly" perfect system is just not.

So here resides my questions:

Does anyone else have an XT3?

Does anyone know if there are differences in the webcams between XT3 and E6220?

My mic works, and the cam initializes, but I can't get an image to capture through photo booth, skype, or anything else.

Does the E6220 have issues with hardware volume buttons and voodoohda?

My hardware volume buttons work, slider shows, but it doesn't actually turn down the audio volume.

Did the E6220 ever come with a fingerprint reader?

I have one, but haven't even started that venture yet.

• Administrators

UniB*** has its own web site if you want to discuss it or get support for installations based on it. It's not compatible with our method.

You cannot use EDP unless you have a myHack installation, it uses myFix to handle kexts... As such, do not be surprised it caused havoc and that you encountered KP. To use the E6220 EDP system build, the above pre-requisite prevails.

A good way to compare the specs between the 2 systems (XT3 and E6220) would be to lookup the specs published in the online user manuals on Dell's support web site.

First off, thanks to the admin for starting a new topic for me. Second, I know UniB**** has their own forums, but I consider them nearly useless with Dells. The only reason it was mentioned was to reiterate that it was not a normal install, which has taught me a few things. Third, I've already looked over the spec sheets for both the E6220 and the XT3 vigorously, which is how I came to the conclusion that they must be 99% same hardware. The only differences seem to be with the laptop chassis, e.g. swivel screen, and a few hardware features, e.g. fingerprint reader placement, a few extra hardware buttons, etc.

Hopefully someone will find this thread, I'm mostly relying on E6220 users for their feedback in the differences in hardware, e.g. vendor IDs, etc.

As an update, I've backed up my "crap" install and am preparing to do a build based of myHack and EDP5, just to see how far that takes things from scratch, as I may have unintentionally used fixes from both methods. Will be posting again shortly.

Side note, Angry birds is -super- fun with OS X and XT3. Touchscreen is recognized natively as USB HID "DuoSense".

P.S. - Right before aforementioned KP, EDP did manage to drop all the required kexts on my installation, though yes, it wasn't handled properly. I really don't recommend this for novice users, I was just curious it's effect.

Edited by madsc13n41s4

First off, thanks to the admin for starting a new topic for me. Second, I know UniB**** has their own forums, but I consider them nearly useless with Dells. The only reason it was mentioned was to reiterate that it was not a normal install, which has taught me a few things. Third, I've already looked over the spec sheets for both the E6220 and the XT3 vigorously, which is how I came to the conclusion that they must be 99% same hardware. The only differences seem to be with the laptop chassis, e.g. swivel screen, and a few hardware features, e.g. fingerprint reader placement, a few extra hardware buttons, etc.

Hopefully someone will find this thread, I'm mostly relying on E6220 users for their feedback in the differences in hardware, e.g. vendor IDs, etc.

As an update, I've backed up my "crap" install and am preparing to do a build based of myHack and EDP5, just to see how far that takes things from scratch, as I may have unintentionally used fixes from both methods. Will be posting again shortly.

Side note, Angry birds is -super- fun with OS X and XT3. Touchscreen is recognized natively as USB HID "DuoSense".

P.S. - Right before aforementioned KP, EDP did manage to drop all the required kexts on my installation, though yes, it wasn't handled properly. I really don't recommend this for novice users, I was just curious it's effect.

I have created a USB installer for E6220 for 10.8.5. It works well for me.

Basically, it uses myHack to create the install and copy the Jake Lo extra packages to the install.

The installed E6220 works excellently and I am waiting for the WWAN card to replace.

Finger scanner may not actually need a kext, well if it's listed under USB section, it may not. You will however need a soft to use configure your system to use it as a replacement of passwords...

Finger print reader is a broadcom 5880 device. It does show up in the USB device list