D830 ML; Broadcom 4315 wireless card doesn't appear in Networks

dziwei

I have a D630 ML machine with this card (Broadcom 4315) that works so I removed it and put it in my D830 ML machine and put the only kext I have for it in E/E, ran MyFix Full and rebooted.  there is a wireless card that appears in System Report under Networks now like below:

Card Type: Third-Party Wireless Card
MAC Address: 00:1f:e1:1b:c1:80
Supported PHY Modes: 802.11 b/g

but when I click on the wifi network icon it will not connect to my network (just says can't connect) AND when I open Network Preferences a WiFi entry is not in there! only Bluetooth PAN! (with wifi turned on).  I tried turning that off and disabling it in bios to see if the Broadcom card would then show up but that doesn't work.

my D630 does not have the Bluetooth PAN entry (that machine has no Bluetooth)  strangely I do not find the Broadcom43XXFamily.kext in the D630's E/E folder tho...  maybe I am using the wrong kext?

any suggestions?  I set this D830 about 6 months ago, is there perhaps a newer EDP installer or bootpack that I should start with?  is that recommended, installing a new bootpack or EDP version over an old?

tyvm!

also the software versions are older on the working D630 machine:
system info: D630 8.1 vs.  D830 8.3
airport utility: D630 6.2 vs. D830 6.3.1
IO80211 family: D630 3.1 vs. D830 5.3

• Administrators

In Network Preferences, did you try the + button at the bottom to add the wireless card manually? Which kext did you copy from the D630 to the D830?

If you have one of the latest EDP versions installed (if not, update), you can easily do a fresh System Build and manually select the kext for the Broadcom 4315 in the Wifi list. That'll copy the Broadcom43XXFamilyrev2 kext to /E/E. It works; that's what I have on my D620 with ML 10.8.4.

I was not able to create another Wifi item in Networks that was different than the BluetoothPAN, when I chose WiFi it automatically found the same hardware (it used the same (MAC?) address as the BluetothPAN item).  I am using the Broadcom43XXFamily.kext but strangely can't find it on the D630; which is working flawlessly with wifi!  but it is on the hard disk in my setup files (just a folder that I put all my downloads & installation links in).

I updated & tried the built-in kext but it didn't work, no wifi card showed up in Networks and I couldn't + one either (still created an item with the bluetooth mac address).  

would you recommend a full reinstall?  I don't have anything on this machine (the D630 is my day to day workhorse).  I have my install USB stick and most recent bootpack ready to go...  I noticed a lot of settings I could select in the new EDP, do I need to turn on any new features or is the default with choosing the Broadcom4315 wifi card enough?

thanks again

• Administrators

As long as your install was made from the onset with myHack + EDP, you don't need to re-install. I would just do a new EDP System Build with default settings, only choosing the BCM4315 in the wifi kexts list.

Fresh EDP system build yields same results, upon restarting a new Bluetooth PAN entry in shows up in Networks and the wifi networks in my area show up including my preferred network but I am unable to connect.  in my D630 machine that was using this exact card the Networks entry was Wifi and it connected automatically needing only the wifi authentication key.

thanks for any ideas...

• Administrators

Delete all HW entries from Network Preferences. I would also delete all network preferences plist files in /System/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration (or whatever that path is, I may be incorrect but no Hackintosh at hand at the moment).

All network hardware should then be added back in a clean manner at next reboot.