Reinstalling SL on D420 CoreDuo

trafsta

I need to reinstall OS X 10.6.x (and hopefully upgrade to 10.6.8 in the end) on my Latitude D420 which is a bit messed up right now (had been running 10.6.7 on it for a few years until a 10.6.8 upgrade in November 2012 messed it up - see my previous post for defails).

I believe I initially did the install via SLD430USB.img... unfortunately I no longer have a copy of this file and the retail DVD I have doesn't seem to boot up properly via myHack or any other more modern methods... (I've tried about half a dozen different ways using a borrowed Macbook Pro that I have since had to return to my sister). The torrent for SLD430USB.img.bz2 that can be found via google has 1 or 2 seeds but I've been sitting at 0.1% complete for a day now. Does anyone know where I can obtain SLD430USB.img? I think it's my best hope to get 10.6.x back on my D420 :(

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Administrators

myHack cannot boot the Retail SL DVD per sé; myHack is an installer creator in that respect, not a bootloader. However, Nawcom's ModCD can boot your DVD so that you load the SL installer, either with legacy kernel (default mode) or with Mach kernel (if you specify it).

I posted a very detailed guide about ModCD just a few weeks ago for a D430. Just follow it (you'll find it with a search on the D4xx section.). If you subsequently want to make a myHack SL installer, use myHack v3.1.2. It's easily done from a ModCD installation and a fresh Vanilla installation is a much better solution than that old and obsolete D430 image...

EDP has also been completely revamped since you last used it a year ago, so once you've done your EDP System Build after your initial installation, you're totally safe to update to 10.6.8.

Just wanted to give an update - your instructions on the other thread worked out VERY well for me. ModUSB was great. The D420 is running 10.6.8 quite well. The only issue with this Core Duo system is of course it heats up quite a bit, but I don't think there is any way around that (intel speedstep issue I'd imagine).

Again, thanks for your help!

• Administrators

It's more of a Dell design issue where the fan used on this notebook is unsufficient to properly cool the CPU. There's no decent heatsink either.

Now that you have SL 10.6.8 running on your D420, you may want to experiment with myHack. You could create your myHack installer with our boot pack and install SL again on a 2nd small HDD partition. That will allow you to compare both methods.

• Administrators

Try the links listed in this old post. Can't verify from where I am right now. If they're dead (I'm not sure Nawcom's blog still exists), I'll upload copies of the ModCD and ModUSB.

This being said and as suggested earlier in the other thread, you should be able to install SL with myHack v3.1.2 and its generic bootpack.