ASUS N73SV; freeze after verbose, multiple things not working with EDP

NielsjeNL

Hello there,

I own an ASUS N73SV laptop and have been trying to install Mac on it for a while. I found this website yesterday and eagerly started the installing procedure with myHack.

Now, whenever I want to boot the installer, it goes like this;

- laptop boots from USB

- chameleon pops up, I enter -v (sometimes -x -f too, also tried GraphicsEnabler=No) 

- Mac (or chameleon?) starts loading all Kexts

- screen clears, and new commandline screen pops up (the one with the bold, white letters)

- everything goes well until it's done loading, the screen freezes at the commandline and stops responding until shutdown

I've got Mac installers to succesfully boot with different distro's, and the USB installer I created is working perfectly on my PC, aside from not detecing my HDD's, but that's a problem I can solve myself.

I thought it was the NVDA kexts that I had to remove, so I did, but still no luck. I'm going to try removing the AppleIntelHD kexts this evening/afternoon and see what it does. (with removing I mean I just take the kexts from the USB and move them to the trash, that's the way to do it right?)

The compatibility page also shows this laptop as compatible (https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2933-asus-n73sv/).

I got practically the same hardware, the only real difference is my screen being full HD, and I have 6GB RAM instead of 4.

I hope you guys can help me with this, I'm coming closer and closer to having no idea what I should do. I'm still searching on Google what could help, if I find something I'll post it here.

Did you use the bootpack from our site (or) using generic one when creating USB installer? Send me your Extra folder which you have in USB and the screenshot of the freeze so i can help you.

Alright, this is what I'm doing; (these steps are taken in a virtual OS X 10.8.5 machine)

- Before I start all this I copy an InstallESD.dmg image to the machine

- I open up Disk Utility and erase the USB stick. The format is 'Mac OS Extended (Journaled)'

- Then I open up myHack and tell it to create an OS X 10.8 Install Disk 

- Target volume is the USB, manually browse to the InstallESD.dmg file

- Created the stick without any errors thrown

- Download the 10.8 bootpack for Asus N73SV (i7 2630QM & HD3000) here; http://www.osxlatitude.com/edp/compatibility/

- Open myHack again, install Extra option chosen

- use my own pack, click on the Extra directory and press open

- successfully added

Now for booting the laptop;

- boot from USB

- chameleon asks for optional arguments, I've skipped adding arguments and went straight into booting

now I'm stuck on this screen; https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2239638/20131023_140952.jpg I'm sorry if it's hard to read, my camera wouldn't focus any better.

it also threw an error about something like being unable to load AppleIntel-something, I'm not exactly sure because it's quite quick and gives me not a lot of time to read but it looked like it had something to do with an audio/graphics thing

- I'm trying different boot arguments at the moment, maybe it'll get through.

This is my extra folder; https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2239638/ExtraN73SV.zip

Alright, this is what I'm doing; (these steps are taken in a virtual OS X 10.8.5 machine)

- Before I start all this I copy an InstallESD.dmg image to the machine

- I open up Disk Utility and erase the USB stick. The format is 'Mac OS Extended (Journaled)'

- Then I open up myHack and tell it to create an OS X 10.8 Install Disk 

- Target volume is the USB, manually browse to the InstallESD.dmg file

- Created the stick without any errors thrown

- Download the 10.8 bootpack for Asus N73SV (i7 2630QM & HD3000) here; http://www.osxlatitude.com/edp/compatibility/

- Open myHack again, install Extra option chosen

- use my own pack, click on the Extra directory and press open

- successfully added

Now for booting the laptop;

- boot from USB

- chameleon asks for optional arguments, I've skipped adding arguments and went straight into booting

now I'm stuck on this screen; https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2239638/20131023_140952.jpg I'm sorry if it's hard to read, my camera wouldn't focus any better.

it also threw an error about something like being unable to load AppleIntel-something, I'm not exactly sure because it's quite quick and gives me not a lot of time to read but it looked like it had something to do with an audio/graphics thing

- I'm trying different boot arguments at the moment, maybe it'll get through.

This is my extra folder; https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2239638/ExtraN73SV.zip

I got the issue, its because of missing files from our bootpack and we're sorry for this.  Use the attached dsdt file and other plist files inside Extra (don't use ssdt files yet). I'll let you know about ssdt files later after your installation is done.

DSDT_SSDT_Patched_Asus_N73SV.zip

I got the issue, its because of missing files from our bootpack and we're sorry for this.  Use the attached dsdt file and other plist files inside Extra (don't use ssdt files yet). I'll let you know about ssdt files later after your installation is done.

Alright, I'll give it a shot and post back soon. Thank you so much for the help!

EDIT: So it booted to the installer without having to use any boot arguments, which was a big relief. It also installed succesfully on a seperate partition, next to my Windows. It also boots successfull to OS X itself which is one thing I never got it to do.  :D

The only problem now is that the internal mouse and keyboard aren't working, neither in the installer nor OS X itself. I've got no clue what to do with this. I'll continue the setup process and see if I can fix it myself (I doubt that though :P).

EDIT2: Mac is booting! YES!

Although, these things aren't working;

- keyboard gives no input at all

- trackpad does the same

- audio ain't working too

Do I have to install those Voodoo kexts I have read about? I'm  not really sure what to do at this point.

EDIT3; herpderp I forgot about EDP, going to use it right now.

EDIT4; Right after EDP finished I rebooted my laptop. While it's showing the boot screen now, it starts to make an extremely loud noise that could wake up my entire house. This is a problem because I've got asleep people here who need to work late in the night, and I can't bother them with noises. I'm going to google whether I can remove the audio kext that does it in Windows since it's kinda problematic.

The keyboard still doesn't work in Single User mode (-s).

EDIT5; Since I can't find the kext for some reason I'm just gonna reinstall Mac and leave out the audio kext next time I run EDP. I'll try the 3 available ones tomorrow (although it looks like they are the same) and post here again.

New day, new start. I'm going to get OS X Mavericks and install that instead of 10.8 so I can enjoy all the new features  :)

I've downloaded the bootpack, and it also contains only Extensions with the Chameleon bootlist and the Theme. Do I also put the files you linked yesterday in the Extra folder for this bootpack?

It looks like Mavericks behaves exactly the same like 10.8, so that's a good thing. I can't get EDP working though.

Whenever using EDP, it will go to step 6, myHack will finish and then EDP stops doing anything (or is it busy on the background, hmm). I dunno if it's done then but I just reboot my laptop to get presented with either a kernel panic (sometimes caused by P-state Stepper error 18 at step 35) or a frozen screen.

I'm trying different build combinations and it looks like something regarding power management is causing the issues, but I could be totally wrong.

Keyboard and touchpad are still not working, even when importing kexts found on this forum.

edit: keyboard is working with different kexts, touchpad still isn't

audio also works with the latest VoodooHDA without the loud sound coming from the speakers.

If it's possible for the admins, please review the ASUS N73SV kexts or the EDP build. If you want me to test them, I'll gladly be your tester.

Alright, I'll give it a shot and post back soon. Thank you so much for the help!

EDIT: So it booted to the installer without having to use any boot arguments, which was a big relief. It also installed succesfully on a seperate partition, next to my Windows. It also boots successfull to OS X itself which is one thing I never got it to do.  :D

The only problem now is that the internal mouse and keyboard aren't working, neither in the installer nor OS X itself. I've got no clue what to do with this. I'll continue the setup process and see if I can fix it myself (I doubt that though :P).

EDIT2: Mac is booting! YES!

Although, these things aren't working;

- keyboard gives no input at all

- trackpad does the same

- audio ain't working too

Do I have to install those Voodoo kexts I have read about? I'm  not really sure what to do at this point.

EDIT3; herpderp I forgot about EDP, going to use it right now.

EDIT4; Right after EDP finished I rebooted my laptop. While it's showing the boot screen now, it starts to make an extremely loud noise that could wake up my entire house. This is a problem because I've got asleep people here who need to work late in the night, and I can't bother them with noises. I'm going to google whether I can remove the audio kext that does it in Windows since it's kinda problematic.

The keyboard still doesn't work in Single User mode (-s).

EDIT5; Since I can't find the kext for some reason I'm just gonna reinstall Mac and leave out the audio kext next time I run EDP. I'll try the 3 available ones tomorrow (although it looks like they are the same) and post here again.

Hello!

I have installed ML 10.8.5 with this Giude from this Site on my Asus X73SV Laptop. I used the EDP for the N73SV with the attached Files on the Post above and I also Downloaded the Files from Raven for the X73SV.Look in the Forum for it.I installed the Kext and everything work.(Touchpad,Keyboard,Mouse,Audio).And i can boot without a Flag. Hope i could help.

Hello!

I have installed ML 10.8.5 with this Giude from this Site on my Asus X73SV Laptop. I used the EDP for the N73SV with the attached Files on the Post above and I also Downloaded the Files from Raven for the X73SV.Look in the Forum for it.I installed the Kext and everything work.(Touchpad,Keyboard,Mouse,Audio).And i can boot without a Flag. Hope i could help.

Thanks a lot for the tip!

I've tried out the kexts for the touchpad and keyboard, but it didn't do a lot. It actually made my keyboard stop working, while it worked with the other kexts I had.

I haven't tried audio because I'm using the latest VoodooHDA for it now.

Today i installed Maverick with the same Method,used the Maverick Bootpack.I delete all ATI,AMD,Geforce and Nvidia Kexts,and every Kext i  install from Raven i also delete in S/L/E. First time boot i unplugged all USB from Laptop,boot im SafeMode and use Chamäleon Wizard to fix USB.Now it works Perfekt.Copied the DSDT.aml from Ravens Pack in Extra Folder :)

Thanks a lot for the tip!

I've tried out the kexts for the touchpad and keyboard, but it didn't do a lot. It actually made my keyboard stop working, while it worked with the other kexts I had.

I haven't tried audio because I'm using the latest VoodooHDA for it now.