Mavericks on E6410 nVidia

TheRealBigBudz

Hey,

i'm an it consultant and i'm using a lot of editors and programming tools. furthermore my windows 7 is a companie image with a lot of security policies and some certificates to vpn and email encryption. so it's not possible to reinstall windows. sure, the most important things are backuped, but this would only save me some hours but let me still stay on some days.

it is possible to split my drive into to partitions. then i can intall osx on the second one and let my win 7 partition where it is. to get my mbr table back, i would use a windows recover cd and select my first partition. after that i would install chameleon. 

is something near to this possible?

I get what you're saying now :-)

Before you do anything, you should combine the recovery and system partitions ( if you have rights) on one single partition.

Then, you can use a tool like minitool partition wizard to shrink the first partition, and then install os x to the second one. Just make sure when you make the installation drive with my hack that you say yes to mbr patching.

When you install, use disk utility to format the second partition.

After this, you should have a working dual boot!

P.S. if you want to try this, and want the latest and greatest, wait for my mavericks guide. Hopefully I'll post it at around 5 pm edt...

Hey,

i'm an it consultant and i'm using a lot of editors and programming tools. furthermore my windows 7 is a companie image with a lot of security policies and some certificates to vpn and email encryption. so it's not possible to reinstall windows. sure, the most important things are backuped, but this would only save me some hours but let me still stay on some days.

it is possible to split my drive into to partitions. then i can intall osx on the second one and let my win 7 partition where it is. to get my mbr table back, i would use a windows recover cd and select my first partition. after that i would install chameleon. 

is something near to this possible?

What you want to do is add another HDD.  Personally, I have a Crucial m4 128gb holding OSX, and a 500gb holding linux, windows 7, and downloads from OSX.

You can buy a caddy for the e6410 optical drive for under 20$ on ebay.

EDIT: You may also want to keep the company windows drive in the optical bay if you think you are going to use the OSX side more.  I am not sure if there is a speed difference, although I hope the SATA controllers are the same for CD / HDD

+1 if you don't want to partition

I have a working installation method that I plan on posting tomorrow...

Will the new install use myHack again?  Will the zip files for the Mountain Lion install still work? 

my Hack will now be the only utility used, and a new zip file (based on the e6410 ML zip) will be used...

• Like 2

Good to hear.  I had a lot of problems using that and kext wizard getting my cache to work, as you probably remember  :P

I too think it's better using just one tool. Mixing the tools was causing problems for many other people too. 

Just a quick heads up guys. The guide is available at the link provided above.

This is our Help & Support thread, so any questions/comments/concerns you have regarding the installation of Mavericks on your machines, you can submit them here.