Mavericks on E6410 nVidia

TheRealBigBudz

Boot with just -v (to be nosey) brought me back.  So now I'll re-enable those Voodoo PS2 kexts, one at a time, and run MyFix each and see which is killing things.  This is good enough for now, as I use Synergy to share my win7's keyboard/mouse, but I would obviously like to get my normal keyboard and trackpad back.

Since I believe deano had a VERY similar issue, I want to point out that it was the simple oversight of not running myfix (myfix -t /) after removing the voodoo kexts that was keeping it in safe mode.  I'm running a full fix now, per the original instructions.  Then I'll go back and bring in the voodoo ps2 kexts one at a time, along with that darn myfix bit! 

After many reboots, I can say that (in my case) the fault was VoodooPS2Controller.kext.  I can leave mouse and keyboard in, and boot no problem.  But with the controller kext, it goes into a "safe boot" scenario.  So good enough for now, but if anyone who knows more about it than I do has any nuggest of golden information, I'd love to get my laptop's keyboard and touchpad working.

See, now I feel a bit silly.  But not entirely, as it still wasn't perfect.  I know the how-to listed the most current BIOS (released earlier this month), but I thought my n-1 was good enough.  Well, I updated the BIOS to A15 and tossed all three voodoo kexts back in.  Kernel panic, but very clearly and without doubt that it was the keyboard kext.  So I took it out, leaving the mouse and controller in, and bob's your uncle I have my keyboard and trackpad working in Mavericks.  So not entirely perfect, but done is done!

See, now I feel a bit silly.  But not entirely, as it still wasn't perfect.  I know the how-to listed the most current BIOS (released earlier this month), but I thought my n-1 was good enough.  Well, I updated the BIOS to A15 and tossed all three voodoo kexts back in.  Kernel panic, but very clearly and without doubt that it was the keyboard kext.  So I took it out, leaving the mouse and controller in, and bob's your uncle I have my keyboard and trackpad working in Mavericks.  So not entirely perfect, but done is done!

Hey DLinkOZ,

It seems like you pretty much solved the issue, but since I've been extremely busy and not very connected to the forums as of late, can you please give me a quick run-down of what is/how you solved the problem?

From what I understand, the Keyboard/Controller kext mixed with the A15 BIOS is what causes the issue, and the way to resolve it is to remove the keyboard kext....

That might be totally wrong, and if it is, please correct me. I would love to include it in the troubleshooting section of the guide for anyone else that has the same issue.

You're nearly exactly correct.  On the last BIOS version (n-1, I forget the number), the VoodooPS2controller.kext was problematic and would only boot in safe boot mode.  The reason removing it didn't seem to help was because my bonehead self didn't run myfix after taking it out of Extras/Extensions.  Take all three out, run myfix and it was up and running with n-1 BIOS (although without the keyboard and touchpad)  After updating the BIOS to A15, and putting all three Voodoo kexts back in place, it got a KP with one of the clearest errors I've ever seen.  With that error, it was a simple matter of removing the VoodooPS2keyboard.kext (but leaving controller, which is key to the keyboard and trackpad working) and re-running myfix.

I'm unsure what, if any, problems will arise by not having that keyboard kext.  But for now, it's a standard functional e6410 (everything works except SD card slot and sleep).

Hey guys, I myself have a good update!

I was working on the laptop quite a bit yesterday. I ended up manually installing chimera (chameleon, stolen and rebranded), then, installing a newer version of FakeSMC (v5.3.820) with plugins. This caused me to get the same KP, but with only one dependency - regarding com.apple.iokit.IOAPCI. So I Installed a AppleACPIPlatform.kext from 10.8.1 and the system booted up!

I replaced/reinstalled the Voodoo kexts to enable my keyboard and mouse and rebooted - no KP.

Currently, my battery status, sound, WiFi, Ethernet, Keyboard, Mouse all work

The only things not working are shutdown (have to hold the button), sleep, iMessage and touchpad scrolling

Hey guys, I myself have a good update!

I was working on the laptop quite a bit yesterday. I ended up manually installing chimera (chameleon, stolen and rebranded), then, installing a newer version of FakeSMC (v5.3.820) with plugins. This caused me to get the same KP, but with only one dependency - regarding com.apple.iokit.IOAPCI. So I Installed a AppleACPIPlatform.kext from 10.8.1 and the system booted up!

I replaced/reinstalled the Voodoo kexts to enable my keyboard and mouse and rebooted - no KP.

Currently, my battery status, sound, WiFi, Ethernet, Keyboard, Mouse all work

The only things not working are shutdown (have to hold the button), sleep, iMessage and touchpad scrolling

Hey deano,

Great news! If you could post the fakesmc and appleacpiplatform kexts in the form of a zip file, that would be great.

And if DLinkOZ can test those out on his current setup (don't install chimera (chameleon, stolen and rebranded)), and report back. That would be amazing.