OS X 10.6 & 10.7 - Dell Vostro 1500 & Similar Dells

acdxz

I got this working mostly on my dell inspiron 1525. Here are the issues:

1. I had to also put the AppleACPIPlatform.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext into /System/Library/Extensions replacing the Lion ones with the 10.6.8 ones. Otherwise I'd get a kp with unknown symbol _cpuid_Info.

2. The Intel Xtreme 3100 GPU kext's are only 32-bit. It also explains why the laptop screen didn't go to sleep with the install. But you do have QE/CI because part of it is 32-bit/64-bit, see below:

AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext: i386

AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext: i386

AppleIntelGMAX3100GA.plugin: x86_64 i386

AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.kext: x86_64 i386

AppleIntelGMAX3100VADriver.kext: i386

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext: i386

3. I didn't need GraphicsEnabler=Yes because I don't have an nvidia or ati graphics card.

4. No wireless. I tried the 10.6.7 IO80211.kext with adding the vendor id 14e4 and device id 4315 to the broadcom kext and no go. I even tried modifying the IO80211.kext for Lion, but it wasn't detected.

5. And last I get 2 kp's during booting sometimes. But if I turn it off and back on, it seems to boot again. One seems to be prevented if I put the voodoobattery.kext in /System/Library/Extensions instead of in /Extra/Extensions.

the replacement of the AppleACPIPlatform.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext ( I have been told ) is replaceable by the npci=0x2000 boot flag.

The graphics properties I posted apply only to the Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT video card. I'm not sure about your graphics card and you should probably ask about it in the channel if you haven't already.

What wireless card do you have? IF it uses the broadcomm 4312 chipset- then my method will work. If not- you will need to try a different method.

What kp's are you getting? You can post those here or in the channel. It's your choice.

I got this working mostly on my dell inspiron 1525. Here are the issues:

1. I had to also put the AppleACPIPlatform.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext into /System/Library/Extensions replacing the Lion ones with the 10.6.8 ones. Otherwise I'd get a kp with unknown symbol _cpuid_Info.

2. The Intel Xtreme 3100 GPU kext's are only 32-bit. It also explains why the laptop screen didn't go to sleep with the install. But you do have QE/CI because part of it is 32-bit/64-bit, see below:

AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext: i386

AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext: i386

AppleIntelGMAX3100GA.plugin: x86_64 i386

AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.kext: x86_64 i386

AppleIntelGMAX3100VADriver.kext: i386

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext: i386

3. I didn't need GraphicsEnabler=Yes because I don't have an nvidia or ati graphics card.

4. No wireless. I tried the 10.6.7 IO80211.kext with adding the vendor id 14e4 and device id 4315 to the broadcom kext and no go. I even tried modifying the IO80211.kext for Lion, but it wasn't detected.

5. And last I get 2 kp's during booting sometimes. But if I turn it off and back on, it seems to boot again. One seems to be prevented if I put the voodoobattery.kext in /System/Library/Extensions instead of in /Extra/Extensions.

I got wireless working. I just had to add vendor id and device id to the bottom of the list instead of in the middle or at the beginning:

pci14e4,4315

And yes you do have to use the IO80211.kext from 10.6.8, not the one in Lion. It needs that one because you had replaced 2 other kext's, AppleACPIPlatform.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext from 10.6.8 as well.

Here are the 2 kernel panic's I am getting:

post-63-13826557983976_thumb.jpg

post-63-13826557984662_thumb.jpg

Now when you boot using 32-bit instead of 64-bit, the x3100 kexts when the gui loads puts the display to sleep. So on first boot you do not boot into 32-bit, but the default of 64-bit. Once you've done that extract the sleepdisplay.zip file.

1. Open a terminal:

2. run sudo -s

# sudo -s

3. Now copy the executable sleepdisplay inside the sleepdisplay.app directory to /bin/.

# cp sleepdisplay /bin/sleepdisplay

4. Then create a file, /etc/rc.local and put this inside it:

/bin/sleepdisplay

5. Make /etc/rc.local executable:

# chmod 755 /etc/rc.local

6. Now open up system preferences and go to Desktop & Screen Savers.

7. Click on hot corners

8. Set the bottom right corner to put display to sleep

9. Now go into Security & Privacy

10. Click the unlock and untick disable automatic login

11. Boot with the following:

-v -f arch=i386

Upon first booting up and waiting a few seconds after the display goes to sleep, try moving the mouse anywhere and see if you see your desktop. If you do, then the program works and you can go ahead and tick disable automatic login. But you're going to keep the put display to sleep if you move the mouse cursor to the bottom right of the screen.

SleepDisplay.zip

Now once the above works. Make the kernel string permanent:

-v -f arch=i386

The -v is for verbose so I can capture the kernel panic I'm getting. I need -f to always load all kext's without the cache since it freezes without it before it even gets to the loading graphic with the rotating graphic. The arch=i386 is there to tell the kernel to boot into 32-bit mode since not all the x3100 kexts are 64-bit yet.

You will edit the file /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist putting it in like so:

Kernel Flags
-v -f arch=i386

Sleep also does not work fully. So I had to make sure the computer does not go to sleep fully. Only the display and hard drives can go to sleep. If you set the computer to sleep, then it will freeze. When this happens, I found my keyboard stopped working until I booted into an OS like lion or windows. This also happens when a kernel panic happens.

Also a strange thing. My ethernet port is detected but it can't read the rom so it sets the mac address as 00:11:22:33:44:55. It works, just don't get 2 of these laptops on the same network.

Found the possible reason why it can't read the mac address of the ethernet port:

misreads vendor id as 11ab

misreads device id as 4354

actual vendor id is 11ab

actual device id is 435a

But the kext that it uses happens to work with the hardware, minus the actual mac address.

Ya your posts was one of the reasons I dug into that bug, I was fortunate to be able to reproduce the problem on my own system, most of the chameleon developers weren't able to - it seems to be a rather selective issue - it only effects a few graphics cards (framebuffers).

As of build 1407 it's *mostly* fixed, there is still a bit of a bug in rendering but at least the system will boot. In future versions of myHack I'll just be including some VESA definition in the generic Extra to avoid confusion if they are on a system that experances the issue.

Could really use some help if anyone's got any insight. Have managed to install Lion with the help of this excellent tutorial. The only thing I can't manage to get working properly is the power management.

So I've removed disabler and nullcpupowermanagement and when I boot with -v I see that appleintelcpupowermanagement has loaded correctly but as the boot process continues I get this message;

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - WARNING - LPC device initialization failed: C-state power management not initialized

I've got C-state generation enabled in my boot.plist and am using an smbios for macbook 2,1 which seems closest to mine, which by the way is the same spec as the original post. This is really frustrating me as it's the final hurdle in getting everything working perfectly but with both CPU's running at near 60 degrees, compared to 40-45 in Windows and occasionally more I'm afraid to keep using Lion and burn out my processor.

Any help from anyone would be massively appreciated

Brian

Could really use some help if anyone's got any insight. Have managed to install Lion with the help of this excellent tutorial. The only thing I can't manage to get working properly is the power management.

So I've removed disabler and nullcpupowermanagement and when I boot with -v I see that appleintelcpupowermanagement has loaded correctly but as the boot process continues I get this message;

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - WARNING - LPC device initialization failed: C-state power management not initialized

I've got C-state generation enabled in my boot.plist and am using an smbios for macbook 2,1 which seems closest to mine, which by the way is the same spec as the original post. This is really frustrating me as it's the final hurdle in getting everything working perfectly but with both CPU's running at near 60 degrees, compared to 40-45 in Windows and occasionally more I'm afraid to keep using Lion and burn out my processor.

Any help from anyone would be massively appreciated

Brian

Sorry for the late reply but have you attempted to patch LPC in your dsdt?

Hi there!

I have a very similar laptop, a Dell Vostro 1510 with GMA X3100 graphics, which was running Snow Leopard until now. I'm trying to install Lion on a new hard drive but I can't boot the installer. I tried "-v -f npci=0x2000" but it doesn't help. The links to the 10.6.7 KEXTs are broken so I haven't tried those but I understood that the netkas method was the same.

Here is what I get:

imag0031ec.jpg

Any idea?

Edit: Maybe it'll be interisting to know that I clearly ear the hard drive going standby a few seconds after the last line is displayed.