myHack 2.0 rc3 and Chameleon 1213

cfx

Conti,

First, thanks for allowing me access to your forums and for your guide and myHack application, which allowed me to get my Asus U56E-BBL5 working nearly perfect!

I've got a question regarding the version of Chameleon included in the myHack rc3 application. This may be a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway. Is there a way for us, the end user, to upgrade the version of Chameleon included in myHack as after much pain trying to get the Intel HD 3000 (GMA HD) gfx to successfully load the native Lion kext and use QE/CI, I found out after tons of research, versions of Chameleon 2.0 RC5 prior to 1221 had a bug which did not allow for loading of the native kext with resolution and qe/ci support - or is the Chameleon version something that must be compiled into myHack?

After using Chameleon Wizard to upgrade the stock myHack installed 1213 chameleon to 1331, I instantly had a fully working HD 3000!

I know it's a convenience factor for myself during reinstalls, but having Chameleon 2.0 RC5 1221 or higher would save a ton of headaches! ;)

Thanks much and thanks again for the great work!

c..

I'll include the latest from SVN in my next release, also the chameleon team is quickly working toward a final STABLE 2.0 release, which will be amazing to finally see it without an "RC" attached to it lol. There are some other things in the works but we're keeping that under wraps for now.

For future reference you can simply drop boot, boot0, and boot1h into myHack.app/Contents/Resources/Resources/Chameleon/usr/standalone/i386/ (you can right click on the app and 'show package contents' to enter the app bundle, then drag and drop) from any version of chameleon at any time, then simply run myHack "Install Chameleon Only" option - this will properly flush your boot sector and install chameleon without having to spend any time in the terminal.

Also most changes generally happen in "boot" which is something you can simply drag and drop to / to overwrite the existing one, a simple way to update.

PS: Is that the HD3000 IGP (Integrated Graphics Processor) on the Sandy Bridge intel platform?

I'd be interested to see your system specs if you could post them to the thread we have running in the hardware forum, or if it is not too much trouble submitting a User Guide for your system would be nice. I haven't had a chance to play with any Sandy Bridge hardware myself yet.

PS: Is that the HD3000 IGP (Integrated Graphics Processor) on the Sandy Bridge intel platform?

I'd be interested to see your system specs if you could post them to the thread we have running in the hardware forum, or if it is not too much trouble submitting a User Guide for your system would be nice. I haven't had a chance to play with any Sandy Bridge hardware myself yet.

Conti,

Thanks the quick response and the information, it's much appreciated! The laptop is indeed the 2nd Gen Sandy Bridge, i5-2410M on the HM65 mobile chipset. I'd be glad to post a User Guide once I've got the system stable (having fits getting the realtek 269 audio to work and not cause kernel panics .. fun fun!) and I'll post up the specs in the hardware forum as soon as I get to work.

On another chameleon note, I had to switch HDD's to a non-advanced format drive to get things working properly, do you know of any workarounds or progress with chameleon being able to support advanced format drives properly so boot1h doesn't go *poof* ? I should probably ask that over on the chameleon forums eh? :lol:

Thanks again!

C..

Well, being the utterly brilliant person I am .. and I am really! :lol: I decided to reload the laptop after screwing around with things a bit much and wanting to just start fresh, I reinstalled and for the life of me can't get the system to boot without using -x -v. If I boot without using the switches, I hang at a black screen with a white bar half way across the top of the screen. I followed my steps exactly as I did to setup the system previously, so it's driving me nuts! Using -v to trace the loading, I'm not seeing anything .. I see the last bit of screen output then *poof* .. no error I can see, just the black screen and white bar.

I've researched my poor little brain out and not found a solid solution for this. The only kext's I had loaded at the time were the lion ps2 kext's from kexts.com for generic keyboard/trackpad operation.

I'm in the process of reloading again to see if I can get things working again, but I'm reaching out for some assistance if anyone has seen this issue before.

Thanks,

C..

Ok .. abosolute clean load of lion using myhack+lion usb. Installed chameleon+extras to HDD and rebooted .. loading, black screen with white bar flashes and immediate reboot. Ugh. Back in system using -x and trying to figure out what's different other than the version of chameleon.

Going to roll chameleon back to 1213 and see what happens ...

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? :lol:

C..

Ok .. this is bizzare .. I rolled Chameleon back to 1213 using myHack RC3 +Lion USB stick and install chameleon+extras and the system now boots fine again.

Going to start installing kexts and see what happens.

C..

[EDIT] System is back up and running with Chameleon 1213, keyboard and mouse, ethernet, etc all functioning again, smbios changed to macbook pro 8,1. Strange thing is, if I upgrade chameleon to any version after 1213, I get the black screen and white bar, which has to be related to the gfx. I've got zero idea why it worked previously and it's not working now. It's driving me crazy! :(

Ahh well .. such is the fun of hackint0shes!

System is back up and running and I can repeat the installation process over and over without issue now. :D

Moving things to post-install as all problems are now only after install.

Once I get everything hammered out, I'll start work on creating a guide.

C..

so, cfx, you reverted back to myhack 2.0 rc3? i too am having the white bar issue with rc4 on a fresh install. rc1 worked fine. if i boot rc4 with -x -v i don't get keyboard/mouse support. the safe mode flashes the white bar quickly then reboots computer.

possible to post rc3 somewhere as it's not available here anymore??

thanks.

vanilla install. hpe 480t / gtx460 / i7 920..

so, cfx, you reverted back to myhack 2.0 rc3? i too am having the white bar issue with rc4 on a fresh install. rc1 worked fine. if i boot rc4 with -x -v i don't get keyboard/mouse support. the safe mode flashes the white bar quickly then reboots computer.

possible to post rc3 somewhere as it's not available here anymore??

thanks.

vanilla install. hpe 480t / gtx460 / i7 920..

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I ended up using RC3 w/1213 until I actually figured out what was causing the issue. I can now install using RC4 without issue, other than no keyboard or mouse at first boot, but that was the same in RC3, so I've always used a wireless or usb mouse and a usb keyboard.

Anyway .. back to the issue. The problem with RC4 was it was enabling the HD 3000 video during load/first boot and the system definition was initially wrong. The system was also trying to set a resolution the laptop couldn't handle.

I installed/rebooted/etc, using "Graphics Mode"="1366x768x32" (my laptop's native resolution) chameleon switch and once the system was running, placed that option in org.chameleon.boot.plist so it takes effect every reboot and changed my system definition from iMac to MacBook Pro8,1.

My USB is still glitchy and I'm working on figuring out that, but anyway .. give that command line a shot and see if it works for you, and I'll post up RC3 if you still need or want it.

C..