Upgrade D620 Core Duo to Core 2 Duo?

Baldoo

I'm currently having a Core Duo T2400 CPU in my Latitude D620 hackintosh.

It has a 1,83GHz clockspeed 2MB cache and a 667MHz FSB. According to the service manual from Dell it's a socket M processor and upgradable.

From what I know this is a 32bit processor while the Core 2 Duo is a 64bit processor.

On ebay I saw some cheap T7200 Core 2 Duo CPU's.

These are 2GHz clockspeed 4MB cache and also 667MHz FSB. Since my Intel GMA950 supports up to 667MHz FSB and it's also a Socket M I think it'll fit.

I think my laptop will then be 64bit capable and fully support my 4GB's of RAM.

My only question is: Does OSX on a hackintosh support 64bit and how do I let it boot in 64bit. Is it automatically selected or do I have to change Chameleon's settings? Or is 64bit only possible with a complete reinstall?

64bit would really help me because it makes Lightroom much faster for RAW editing.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm currently having a Core Duo T2400 CPU in my Latitude D620 hackintosh.

It has a 1,83GHz clockspeed 2MB cache and a 667MHz FSB. According to the service manual from Dell it's a socket M processor and upgradable.

From what I know this is a 32bit processor while the Core 2 Duo is a 64bit processor.

On ebay I saw some cheap T7200 Core 2 Duo CPU's.

These are 2GHz clockspeed 4MB cache and also 667MHz FSB. Since my Intel GMA950 supports up to 667MHz FSB and it's also a Socket M I think it'll fit.

I think my laptop will then be 64bit capable and fully support my 4GB's of RAM.

My only question is: Does OSX on a hackintosh support 64bit and how do I let it boot in 64bit. Is it automatically selected or do I have to change Chameleon's settings? Or is 64bit only possible with a complete reinstall?

64bit would really help me because it makes Lightroom much faster for RAW editing.

I can't speak to what OSX will do when you swap CPUs, but I can confirm for you that replacing the Core Duo with Core 2 Duo will work fine.

Yes, osx supports x64 and works great .. go ahead and upgrade.. i have done it on alot of D620'ish..

Do I have to do anything special after the upgrade or will OSX recognize the new CPU and automatically boot in 64bit?

I'm asking this because OSX sees my current CPU as a Core 2 Duo but I can't install the 64bit lightroom so it's definitely 32bit now.

• Administrators

ok in chameleon you have to boot arch=x86_64 and then try installing the program. also 64 bits depends on the support of your graphics card. mine is intel gma945 (AKA gma950) and in 64 bit boot my full resolution is not supported only 1024 x 768

I've installed a new CPU this afternoon. On eBay I have found a T7200 for 30 euros.

The install took me only 45min and I have immediately experienced a much faster computer.

Old CPU: T2400 Core Duo 1,8Ghz 2MB cache x32

New CPU: T7200 Core 2 Duo 2Ghz 4MB cache x64

I have used artic silver on the new processor and despite the higher TDP of the new CPU the laptop doesn't feel any hotter.

During the swap I've made some pictures so I'll maybe post a tutorial in the future.

I have booted in i386 and everything works like it did and I have 64bit support.