Problem & Progress in (Mountain) Lion Installation

digital farmer

Hi Conti,

I learn & follow step by step your guide about Install Lion,

But at the time I boot from my USB Flash Disk,

#first time it restart itself after I choose option 1 (start from myHack OS X USB);

#Second time I type -v; then after Verbose process done, it hangs on the black screen with a wide white stripe at top left corner.

#Then I try to add GraphicsEnabler=No ...just the same

Can you help me please?

This is my PC spec.:

Asus P5KPL-SE

Forsa GF 7300 GS 256MB

Corsair 2x1GB RAM

1 internal HD (MBR Partition; SL 10.6.8/ Windows XP/ Data)

1 external USB HD (GUID Partition; BackUp SL 10.6.8/ Blank (target for installing Lion) / Blank)

Thank you in advance

The bug you are experiencing and the solution: http://myhack.sojugarden.com/2011/08/ch ... k-2-0-rc4/

With meklort's help we were able to resolve this in newer builds of chameleon but I have not yet updated myhack, I have not had the time, an update will be released sometime soon though. For now, the solution to add a VESA graphics mode to your boot plist as described in that post will resolve your problem.

UPDATE:

OK, with -x -v I can boot & install Lion, then after restart (from USB Stick) still I can only get into the installed Lion only with -x.

Then I read your reply here (thanks, actually I already read that too)

I'll try to add a VESA Graphics mode (is it to add this line to org.chameleon.Boot.plis? ;

Graphics Mode

1024x768x32

if yes, where is the org.chameleon.Boot.plis you mean?..is it the one in the USB Stick?

---------

UPDATE AGAIN:

Yes, it is the org.chameleon.Boot.plist inside Extra folder in the USB Stick.

#I edit it add the line

Graphics Mode

1024x768x32

#After that, I can get inside the Lion without -x.

But Lion don't recognize my Internet connection (from build in Ethernet RTL 8186 port) so I have to go back & forth between my working Snow Leopard and the new installed Lion LOL)

I'll update my progress.

UPDATE:

#I've already boot (from USB Stick) into Lion; Execute myHack.app; Install Chameleon+Extra;

#Then I Reboot from HD (without USB Stick)

#BUT....It always self-restarting :(

Perhaps it's because my Snow Leopard in the first partition of my internal HD which has older version of myHack Chameleon??

OK now I'll try to erase that Snow Leopard from that 1st partition in internal HD and copy clone the new Lion (from 2nd Partition in External USB HD) into that partition (replacing the Snow Leopard), and see how the result will be if I boot the Lion from there.

(Don't worry... I have a backup of that Snow Leopard already in 1st partition of my USB External HD :) )

Wish me luck...and I'll report my progress :)

-------

UPDATE:

Oops.. While in te middle of Cloning process,..I remember something...so I cancel the Cloning process...

I thought by executing myHack.app, it also copy the org.chameleon.Boot.plist which include the VESA Graphics mode I typed before in the USB Stick to HD...

It's not... just as I guessed.

So I have to manually add that line (VESA Graphics mode) again, this time in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist inside the Lion Extra folder on the HD.

and YES..It can boot from Hard Disk now.

But Internet still doesn't work (Built in RTL 8186), also no sound (ALC662) and Graphics (it's still 1024x768 without recognizing my 7300 GS, much less QE/CI).

I have to work them out one by one now.

You will need an IONetworkingFamily.kext like I show in the FAQ section for your etherner, there are also some other options like official realtek drivers or the realtek drivers that have been ported to OS X from linux.

Try:

GraphicsEnabler

Yes

in your boot plist to see if your 7300GS is supported by chameleon's graphics enabler, u can also pass this flag to test at the boot prompt (where you entered -v before) by typing GraphicsEnabler=Yes and pressing enter.

ALC662 I'm not sure about, you can try VoodooHDA or search for an AppleHDA solution. I am more familiar with ALC88x and intel IDT AppleHDA solutions personally.

Good luck on your continued journey!

Thank You Conti, I'll definitely try that. but for now I have to postpone my Lion installation project for awhile because of:

*My hectic schedule LOL

*For the time being I already have a stable Snow Leopard 10.6.8 (and Windows XP) on my PC that I can depend on for my main OS. (although I still have some minor poblem with that 10.6.8 which I'd like to ask to you,..maybe later or in other thread).

*I'm looking forward for 10.8 Mountain Lion (my brother has a Mac Developer Account & already DL it - the DP version - but he doesn't want to install it yet in any of his Macs LOL)..may be I'll volunteer and give it a try in the near future as I have the time - I learn that it's installation procedure is not much different than 10.7 Lion :)

God Bless you :)

You will need an IONetworkingFamily.kext like I show in the FAQ section for your etherner, there are also some other options like official realtek drivers or the realtek drivers that have been ported to OS X from linux.

Try:

GraphicsEnabler

Yes

in your boot plist to see if your 7300GS is supported by chameleon's graphics enabler, u can also pass this flag to test at the boot prompt (where you entered -v before) by typing GraphicsEnabler=Yes and pressing enter.

ALC662 I'm not sure about, you can try VoodooHDA or search for an AppleHDA solution. I am more familiar with ALC88x and intel IDT AppleHDA solutions personally.

Good luck on your continued journey!

Hi Conti. Now I'm typing from my new installed Mountain Lion 10.8 DP.

I've tried your IONetworkingFamily Method, and it works! thanks :) You're Genius!

Sound is also working after I installed VoodooHDA.kext that also works in my SL 10.6.8 ;)

BUT

The Graphic (7300 GS) is still not recognized yet.

GraphicEnabler=Yes doesn't work.

I have to find other methods.

Hi Conti. Now I'm typing from my new installed Mountain Lion 10.8 DP.

I've tried your IONetworkingFamily Method, and it works! thanks :) You're Genius!

Sound is also working after I installed VoodooHDA.kext that also works in my SL 10.6.8 ;)

BUT

The Graphic (7300 GS) is still not recognized yet.

GraphicEnabler=Yes doesn't work.

I have to find other methods.

Did you type GraphicEnabler=Yes or GraphicsEnabler=Yes ?

Have you tried to actually copy and paste the info into your org.chameleon.Boot.plist as I suggested? or did you simply try the flag at the chameleon boot prompt? If not try:

GraphicsEnabler
Yes

In your org.chameleon.Boot.plist and let me know what happens. It could be that the 7300GS is not supported in the ML graphics extensions, I am actually not sure if it was ever supported in Lion either - I haven't attempted to use lower than an 8600GT since before OS X 10.6

Glad to hear everything else is working for you btw - particularly Mountain Lion :D