Asus Rampage II Gene - Revision 1 - BIOS version 1701

SubStandard

Just starting out with DSDT and would like to create my own file targeted at my system. I'm sort of stuck as to where I should start and was hoping for some advice regards the best methodology.

I followed the instructions and dumped everything from a Linux boot CD (attached).

MB: Asus Rampage II Gene - Revision 1 - BIOS version 1701

Audio codec: AD1989B (which I believe is the same as AD2000b)

LAN: Realtek 8111C

CPU: Intel i7 920 @ 2.66GHz

Graphics card: ATI 6850

PCI root of graphics card: (how do I determine this?)

I'm trying to achieve a clean install of ML DP3 and have successfully used MyHack 3 to get the system booting.

I then disabled the GraphicsEnabled and rebooted (this enabled my 2nd screen which was blank with the enabler turned on).

Copied AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext from my Lion install to /Extra to get LAN.

Copied AD2000b.kext and associated files to /Extra to get Audio.

Problems

• 1. I get a long, maybe 60 second delay during boot (Could this be PCI root not being set correctly?) I've attached a bootlog in case that helps and starred the last line I see before the delay (localhost kernel[0]: IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 88:111)
    2. The drive icons are orange.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Rampage_II_GENE-Linux-Dump.zip

system.log.zip

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK I downloaded DSDT Editor from olarilla.com and opened my Linux generated DSDT file.

I added a patch to fix the orange drive icons which worked great.

I then tried to add a patch for my audio but that did not work, so I opened an DSDT found elsewhere and copied the parts related to the sounds card across to my own DSDT this worked fine.

I'm generally quite happy now, the only glaring issue is the 75 seconds delay during the boot at this point:

IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87

IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 88:111 <- sit's here for 75 seconds then continues

ACPI: System State [s0 S3 S4 S5] (S3)

Can anyone shed any light of what might be causing this or how I might go about debugging it?

Thanks,

Dan

Perhaps try using a mac pro 5,1 smbios.plist... I have an i7 920 myself so I'll post the one I use here.

That often fixes IOAPIC errors, but not always... I've not run into this particular issue myself so I'm really not sure where to start tbh but smbios.plist seems the first logical step. I don't think using patched IOACPI should be required on most x58 systems.

Copy and paste the following to /Extra/smbios.plist - edit the serial number to something else...

SMbiosversion
MP51.007F.B03
SMboardproduct
Mac-F221BEC8
SMfamily
MacPro
SMproductname
MacPro5,1
SMserial
CHANGEME

HI Conti

I gave that smbios.plist (changed the serial) a try but it made no difference.

I also tried a couple of other things that a Google search revealed. I changed the SATA port to 0, 1, 2 and 3 (no difference) and I removed 3 of my memory modules so that I now have 3x4GB, this also made no difference :-(

How does the system run under Lion 10.7.3? Does it exhibit the same boot delay?

It runs perfectly under 10.7.3, no delay at all. I still have 10.7.3 on a separate SSD, is there a log I can get from it that might help with the debugging?

Well it's not a bug with myHack at all, it's simply one of the many lovely little problems ML may have in store for us, but since it's a developer preview I don't think it's really worth the effort to look into it too much. You might consider trying to rollback AppleACPIPlatform.kext or perhaps IOACPIFamily.kext too from ML to the 10.7.3 version - you can copy it from your 10.7.3 /S/L/E to the 10.8 /E/E and run myfix - if it breaks something completely you can remove it. It might require a bit of playing to figure out what is going on but since this doesn't happen on my own system there isn't much I can do from my end to help you.

If the problem doesn't exist when booting using only the Generic Extra - one of the other extensions you have in "Your Extra" might be to blame, this is also something worth considering.

If the problem doesn't exist when booting using only the Generic Extra - one of the other extensions you have in "Your Extra" might be to blame, this is also something worth considering.

I don't think it's one of the KEXTs in EXTRA as I can boot the system without any of them (with delay of course).

It's certainly not my myhack either as I tried a ML install to a third drive using a completely different method with the same delay problem.

I'll sit tight, keep any eye on the forums and see if someone else experiences the problem.

Thanks,

Dan

I just wanted to feed back regarding this problem.

I posted the question on IM and user eep357 came back with a solution.

Essentially I had to replace AppleACPIPlatform.kext with an earlier version, I tried the Lion 10.7.3 version with no joy and eventually settled on v1.3.6. This was easy to implement with my MyHack install, I really like being able to keep all of my extra kexts in /Extra/Extensions, very very tidy.