Asus Rampage II Gene - Revision 1 - BIOS version 1701

SubStandard

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, Dan! Thank God, I found you! hahahah

I have exactly the same MB and CPU as you. I extracted my dstd using dsdt editor and I patched it using the .txt file from Olarila, as you did.

Could you please tell me some things?

How can I patch my sound in order for not needing Voodoo kext?

Does your CPU heat? Mine sometimes reaches 84ºC...

Cheers! =)

Hi guys

I suggest you check the topic for this board from dgsga at InsanelyMac

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=201758

He kindly offered to sell that board to me and that's what I'm using now. I've made a couple of minor tweaks to the DSDT but otherwise this is all dgsga's work. Here's the latest version I have for it:

DSDT_ASUS_Rampage_II_Gene.dsl.zip

Please note: This is from BIOS version 1405 and not version 1701 as you have in your title here. Feel free to use it for comparison and a reference when editing your own DSDT.

EDIT:

After some PM's from leomenassun for help trying to understanding some of the basic principles, I thought it sensible to post here the original DSDT from my BIOS for comparison purposes. Use this to compare with your own original DSDT from your BIOS and see what changes have been made between the original and patched files.

EDIT2:

Having looked at the original BIOS I extracted and posted here, I realised it was from a patched BIOS ROM.

Here's a truly original v1405 DSDT.aml, extracted from the ASUS BIOS ROM using Andy's amitool162.

Original_Asus_Rampage_Gene_II_BIOS_v1405_DSDT.dsl.zip

Well, I finally got my dumps with Polishox's tutorial. (Thanks for your suggestion, blackosx!)

The problem is that I found it a little bit complex for my english level. I got confused when I compared my dsdt.dsl with blackosx's posted right above. I was not exactly right about what to change and a about what to keep.

So, I decided to attach my Rampage_II_GENE.zip file in order for someone to help with my dsdt editing. (I'm not even sure if I've compared the right file because there are lots of files inside this folder).

Please, help me. What I am intended to:

- Native Energy Management

- Patch my sound and other things you might suggest in order for using a minimum number of kexts and modifications as possible

- Fix orange drive icons

- Get boot, restart and shutdown faster

Cheers!

Rampage_II_GENE.zip

Hi leomenassun / SubStandard

Well done with extracting the ACPI tables from your BIOS :)

I've done some comparisons and so far...

BIOS v1405 original DSDT is identical to BIOS v1701 original DSDT.

BIOS v1701 original DSDT is identical to both leomenassun's & SubStandard's DSDT's (had to check).

So it's safe to say that we can patch your DSDT's based on the patched one I posted above.

Okay. Well here's a start. I don't know everything but I can tell you what I do know.

NOTE - DO NOT CONTINUE UNTIL THIS HAS BEEN DONE.:

Before you do anything, I recommend you check you have a backup method of booting your system just incase something goes wrong and your system fails to boot. If you've created a bootable USB flash drive using myhack then great, if not then create one. Either way, check it works and keep it safe incase you need it.

Here's an overview for enabling audio on your mono for Lion 10.7.3 that you will need to change two things - your DSDT and AppleHDA.kext. It also works for 10.7.4.

iasl tool

You will need a way of compiling / decompiling your ACPI files.

.aml files are the compiled files which the system uses.

.dsl files are the decompiled files which you can edit in a text editor.

This can be done with a tool named iasl and for ease, it's been wrapped in a friendly GUI app which allows you to drag a drop a file on it's icon. It will either compile a .dsl file or decompile a .aml file, depending on what you give it.

Here's the latest version which I got from here

iaslMe 20120420.zip

Now you have the tool you can start to edit your DSDT.dsl and recompile afterwards for using.

Edit DSDT

1 - start with your extracted DSDT_A1234_A1234000.dsl file.

2 - copy it somewhere and rename it DSDT.dsl

3 - open it up in a text editor.

4 - Search for

Name (_HID, "pnp0c14")

and change to

Name (_HID, "PNP0C14")

5 - Search for

Method (_WAK, 1, NotSerialized)

Add the following before it.

Method (DTGP, 2, NotSerialized)
   {
       If (LEqual (Arg0, Zero))
       {
           Store (Buffer (One)
               {
                   0x03
               }, Arg1)
       }
   }

Search for

Device (SBRG)

and add the following code before it

Device (HDEF)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
               Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
               {
                   Store (Package (0x08)
                       {
                           "AFGLowPowerState", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                           }, 

"layout-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                           }, 

"PinConfigurations", 
                           Buffer (Zero) {}, 
                           "platformFamily", 
                           Buffer (One)
                           {
                               0x00
                           }
                       }, Local0)
                   DTGP (Arg2, RefOf (Local0))
                   Return (Local0)
               }
           }

(For more info on patching AppleHDA check THe KiNG's thread at projectosx.)

6 - save the file

7 - drag and drop the new DSDT.dsl file on to iaslMe's icon.

8 - In the window that appears, the last line will read something like this:

Compilation complete. 0 Errors, 101 Warnings, 35 Remarks, 84 Optimizations

You will eventually want to fix all those warnings, but for now we have no errors so that's good.

9 - In the Finder, next to your DSDT.dsl file will be a folder named Sessions, and in there will be your compiled DSDT.aml file. This can now be added to your /Extra folder for the bootloader to use.

Patch APPLEHDA

Here I presume you have a folder named Extra at the root of your Lion volume. If you're using Conti's myHack then you should have. But if not then you will need to adjust the following commands to suit.

The plan here will be to copy the AppleHDA.kext from /System/Library/Extensions to your /Extra/Extensions, patch it and have myfix add it to the myhack.kext for loading. You could also just patch the original AppleHDA.kext in /System/Library/Extensions if you prefer.

1 - make a copy of AppleHDA.kext to your /Extra/Extensions.

sudo cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext /Extra/Extensions

2 - Bin patch AppleHDA binary

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x8b\x19\xd4\x11|\x9b\x98\xd4\x11|g' /Extra/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA

3 - Remove two .xml files from the Resources folder

sudo rm -f /Extra/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources/layout12.xml 
sudo rm -f /Extra/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources/Platforms.xml 

4 - download these two patched .xml files, and put them on your Desktop.

Platforms.xml

layout12.xml

sudo cp -R ~/Desktop/*.xml /Extra/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources

5 - run myHack -> myfix. (Choose quick if you like).

This will copy all your /Extra/Extensions to /System/Library/Extensions/myhack.kext and bump all the version numbers so the kexts load. Repair ownership/permissions and rebuild your caches.

6 - reboot

I think that should get your audio up and running.

Hi blackosx! I'm very thankful for your support! =)

Well, I patched my dsdt as you suggested, but concerning the audio, only patched AppleHDA.kext didn't work. So I remembered that I've already read this ( viewtopic.php?f=8&t=335&p=989#p989 ) and decided also installing those extra kexts. It worked! =)

Do you know any patch for our i7 920 speedstep? What about hd orange icons?

How much temperature does your cpu reach? Mine reaches 84ºC in idle mode sometimes. I'm very worried. Energy management seems not to work for me. =/

Could you please kindly attach your dsdt.AML in order for me to compare with mine?

Please, answer all my questions if you can!!! (I'm desperate. hahaha)

Cheers! :-)

Well, I patched my dsdt as you suggested, but concerning the audio, only patched AppleHDA.kext didn't work. So I remembered that I've already read this ( viewtopic.php?f=8&t=335&p=989#p989 ) and decided also installing those extra kexts. It worked! =)

Okay. But we have to find out why the instructions didn't work because you do not need to be using AD2000b.kext, HDAEnabler.kext and HDEFEnabler.kext. But this can be done later as it's more important you look at your temps...

Do you know any patch for our i7 920 speedstep?

.../snip/...

How much temperature does your cpu reach? Mine reaches 84ºC in idle mode sometimes. I'm very worried. Energy management seems not to work for me. =/

84ºC idle is indeed worrying. Is your CPU cooler fitted correctly? What temps do you see in Windows? That would be my first check. If you know the temps in Windows are okay then you know that to aim for with OS X. I ran Prime95 in Windows7 for 20 minutes to check temps which resulted in an average temps of: idle 34°C / load 70°C. But those could be less if I had a better cooler myself - I think I remember dgsga saying his load temps were about 50°C with his Noctua cooler.

You will want to check a couple of BIOS settings.

Make sure Intel® C-STATE Tech is set to ENABLED.

Set C State package limited setting to C6

Then for OS X you need to make sure AppleLPC.kext loads and for that we need to patch the deviceID in your DSDT. This is currently identified as Device (SBRG) in the DSDT you've extracted from your BIOS.

For example, here's a snippet from mine (though note all instances of SBRG have been changed to LPCB)

Device (LPCB)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x001F0000)
               {
                   Store (Package (0x02)
                       {
                           "device-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x18, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
                           }
                       }, Local0)
                   Return (Local0)
               }

With the BIOS settings and AppleLPC loaded, power management in OS X will be native. You won't need to use either the Generate P-State / Generate C-State boot options in Chameleon.

What SMBIOS settings are you using? Can you maybe run a set of scripts and post the result here? The set of scripts can be found in an app named DarwinDumper and the latest version can be found near the end of this thread at projectosx.

But to conclude for now, check your temps in another OS such as Windows. Then we can check OS X.

What about hd orange icons?

This is cosmetic. For a fix,use THe KiNG's OrangeIconFix.kext

Could you please kindly attach your dsdt.AML in order for me to compare with mine?

I've already posted it - see above - it's called DSDT_ASUS_Rampage_II_Gene.dsl.zip

Please, answer all my questions if you can!!! (I'm desperate. hahaha)

These things take a while to get right and that's the fun of building a hackintosh - I know it can be frustrating but if we all wanted to run OS X flawlessly without having to do anything then wouldn't we all go out and buy a real Mac? :D

Reason for edit: To update the link to the DarwinDumper topic at projectosx.

Okay. But we have to find out why the instructions didn't work because you do not need to be using AD2000b.kext, HDAEnabler.kext and HDEFEnabler.kext. But this can be done later as it's more important you look at your temps...

I'm sure I've failed in patching AppleHDA.kext. I don't even know to say where it went wrong. I only remember terminal warning me about something non existence. :/ I guess it would be better for me you attach your already patched kext.

84ºC idle is indeed worrying. Is your CPU cooler fitted correctly? What temps do you see in Windows?

Yes, my intel stock cooler is fitted correctly. By the way, thermal paste has been replaced by a technical support recently (27 days ago). In Windows 7, temperatures get around 60-65ºC (I guess it's also very hot!!!) I suspect my i7 is overclocked but I've never done anything in such direction and I've never noticed any different set in my BIOS. =(((

You will want to check a couple of BIOS settings.

Make sure Intel® C-STATE Tech is set to ENABLED.

Set C State package limited setting to C6

C-State Tech is already enabled. I'm gonna set this C6 limit! \o/

Then for OS X you need to make sure AppleLPC.kext loads and for that we need to patch the deviceID in your DSDT. This is currently identified as Device (SBRG) in the DSDT you've extracted from your BIOS.

For example, here's a snippet from mine (though note all instances of SBRG have been changed to LPCB)

Device (LPCB)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x001F0000)
               {
                   Store (Package (0x02)
                       {
                           "device-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x18, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
                           }
                       }, Local0)
                   Return (Local0)
               }

With the BIOS settings and AppleLPC loaded, power management in OS X will be native. You won't need to use either the Generate P-State / Generate C-State boot options in Chameleon.

Is there any way to know if AppleLPC is correctly loaded? I didn't understand what you said about SRGB and LPCB. But don't worry. I'm gonna replace my dsdt with yours (and remove those extra audio kexts) to see if things go better!

What SMBIOS settings are you using? Can you maybe run a set of scripts and post the result here? The set of scripts can be found in an app named DarwinDumper and the latest version (I think) is at projectosx in this thread.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

SMbiosdate

01/22/10

SMbiosvendor

Apple Computer, Inc.

SMbiosversion

MP41.88Z.0081.B08.1001221313

SMboardproduct

Mac-F221BEC8

SMfamily

Mac Pro

SMmanufacter

Apple Inc.

SMmanufacturer

Apple Computer, Inc.

SMproductname

MacPro4,1

SMserial

CK0087654PC

SMsystemversion

DARWIN DUMPER SCRIPTS ATTACHED!!! =)

This is cosmetic. For a fix,use THe KiNG's OrangeIconFix.kext

If it is cosmetic, I'm not gonna install such kext. Thanks a lot. But it seems it can be fixed by dsdt patching. Haven't you heard anything about that?

I've already posted it - see above - it's called DSDT_ASUS_Rampage_II_Gene.dsl.zip

I've already seen this, but it is in .dsl and I needed it to be in .aml so that I could install it. But don't worry, I already know how to proceed! \o/

These things take a while to get right and that's the fun of building a hackintosh - I know it can be frustrating but if we all wanted to run OS X flawlessly without having to do anything then wouldn't we all go out and buy a real Mac? :D

You're right but don't you agree that it is extremely difficult for a noob to understand programming languages? And many times they are the best way... Buying a real Mac is barrier. They are very very expensive, specially here in Brazil! hahaha

Thank you so much, BlackOSX!!! (By the way, what's your real name? I've read your presentation topic, but you haven't told us it!)

Cheers!!! :-D

Unknown_Darwin Mac-Pro-de-Leonardo.local 11.3.0 x86_64.zip