Asus Rampage II Gene - Revision 1 - BIOS version 1701

SubStandard

I'm sure I've failed in patching AppleHDA.kext. I don't even know to say where it went wrong. I only remember terminal warning me about something non existence. :/ I guess it would be better for me you attach your already patched kext.

Okay. Well I think you should try again sometime as it's only by doing these things that you learn.

But for now, here's the AppleHDA.kext from 10.7.4 which I've applied the previous instructions to.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/222155/myHack_F ... A.kext.zip

Yes, my intel stock cooler is fitted correctly. By the way, thermal paste has been replaced by a technical support recently (27 days ago). In Windows 7, temperatures get around 60-65ºC (I guess it's also very hot!!!) I suspect my i7 is overclocked but I've never done anything in such direction and I've never noticed any different set in my BIOS. =(((

Well if you're happy with those then fine - I guess the ambient temperature is fairly high over there...

C-State Tech is already enabled. I'm gonna set this C6 limit! \o/

Great.

Is there any way to know if AppleLPC is correctly loaded?

Yep, there are a few ways. The quickest way will be to type the following in to the Terminal:

sudo kextstat | grep AppleLPC

I didn't understand what you said about SRGB and LPCB. But don't worry. I'm gonna replace my dsdt with yours (and remove those extra audio kexts) to see if things go better!

Try the DSDT I posted to see if it works for you - it should. But note, it's always recommended to make your own, or at least work through your own, editing it, whilst comparing against someone else's so you try to understand what's in it to learn. Also because there may be some small differences between them - but I guess in this case you know I've compared them both.

SMbiosdate
01/22/10
SMbiosvendor
Apple Computer, Inc.
SMbiosversion
MP41.88Z.0081.B08.1001221313
SMboardproduct
Mac-F221BEC8
SMfamily
Mac Pro
SMmanufacter
Apple Inc.
SMmanufacturer
Apple Computer, Inc.
SMproductname
MacPro4,1
SMserial
CK0087654PC
SMsystemversion

At a quick glance this looks good.

DARWIN DUMPER SCRIPTS ATTACHED!!! =)

Nice..

Now, if you know the Terminal commands then you can get some of this information yourself, but having it all done for you in a single app is very helpful. So now, without asking you lots of questions, I can see many things. For example, a list of your loaded kexts:

- I see AppleLPC.kext is not loaded - but then I knew it wouldn't be as I have the same board.

- I see NullCPUPowerManagement.kext is loaded. You will need to remove this if you want to make use of your boards native powermanagement! - But as i noted above earlier - please make sure you have a bootable USB flash drive handy which you know works before doing this just incase you can't boot your system anymore.

I'll look more at the dumps later when I get some time.

If it is cosmetic, I'm not gonna install such kext. Thanks a lot. But it seems it can be fixed by dsdt patching. Haven't you heard anything about that?

The DSDT patch you are referring is not really a fix, more a workaround as it tells OS X your southbridge is no longer ICH10 and now something older, I think ICH6? As a consequence you lose the hot-plug benefit of ICH10. I prefer to stick with ICH10 and use the orangeiconfix.

I've already seen this, but it is in .dsl and I needed it to be in .aml so that I could install it. But don't worry, I already know how to proceed! \o/

Well done - you're learning :)

You're right but don't you agree that it is extremely difficult for a noob to understand programming languages? And many times they are the best way... Buying a real Mac is barrier. They are very very expensive, specially here in Brazil! hahaha

Yes - I understand that everything Apple is very expensive in Brazil with crazy prices!

But programming can always be learnt, even a small understanding can help.

Thank you so much, BlackOSX!!! (By the way, what's your real name? I've read your presentation topic, but you haven't told us it!)

You're welcome. My name is Nick

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay. Well I think you should try again sometime as it's only by doing these things that you learn.

But for now, here's the AppleHDA.kext from 10.7.4 which I've applied the previous instructions to.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/222155/myHack_F ... A.kext.zip

Thank you so much, Nick! My audio is enabled now, except my mic though it worked before with those extra kexts. =/ By the way, I'm now on 10.7.4, thanks Conti!!! =DDDDD

Well if you're happy with those then fine - I guess the ambient temperature is fairly high over there...

NO, I'm not happy. I'm afraid of damaging my buddy i7... :/ Ambient temperature here is around 20ºC, believe it or not!

Great.

Unfortunately, I didn't find in my BIOS the correct place to set C6 limit. It's not in the same key settings as C-State Tech! :oops:

Yep, there are a few ways. The quickest way will be to type the following in to the Terminal:

sudo kextstat | grep AppleLPC

I run this command and got this message: 63 0 0xffffff7f8135e000 0x3000 0x3000 com.apple.driver.AppleLPC (1.5.8) <62 9 5 4 3>. Does it means that the kext is loaded? If it means, so the reason for Darwin Dumper has showed that it was not loaded might be because I hadn't done system modifications when I run it. I put your dsdt, put GeneratePState=Yes and GenerateCState=Yes back into org.chameleon.boot.plist (I guess temps problems are less than before with these flags.) By the way, your dsdt fits great for me!!! Before, with my own edited dsdt, the restart was slow and the sleep didn't work properly. Thank you!!! =)

One question: In case AppleLPC is not loading, what are the problems? How can I solve this?

I see NullCPUPowerManagement.kext is loaded. You will need to remove this if you want to make use of your boards native powermanagement! - But as i noted above earlier - please make sure you have a bootable USB flash drive handy which you know works before doing this just incase you can't boot your system anymore.

I've removed Null...kext!!! No problems at all! \o/

The DSDT patch you are referring is not really a fix, more a workaround as it tells OS X your southbridge is no longer ICH10 and now something older, I think ICH6? As a consequence you lose the hot-plug benefit of ICH10. I prefer to stick with ICH10 and use the orangeiconfix.

I've installed OrangeIconFix.kext!!! hahaha Nice! ;)

Nick, what do you intend to do with those dumps from DarwinDumper?

Cheers!

My audio is enabled now, except my mic though it worked before with those extra kexts.

Good to hear your audio is working. I don't use a mic here so I've never thought of checking for it.

I'm sure it can be added - I guess the codec verbs need to be changed? I'm not very good at that but maybe I can have a look sometime in the future. Otherwise maybe somebody else might be able to help?

NO, I'm not happy. I'm afraid of damaging my buddy i7... :/ Ambient temperature here is around 20ºC, believe it or not!

Well if you're positive the thermal paste has been applied (I know you said an engineer did it for you) then I can suggest only that you get a better aftermarket cooler and look at the airflow in and out of your case. Is the PC stuck in a corner somewhere, would moving it help?

Unfortunately, I didn't find in my BIOS the correct place to set C6 limit. It's not in the same key settings as C-State Tech! :oops:

It only appears once Intel® C-STATE Tech is enabled. I see it here under:

Advanced -> CPU Configuration

If you want, I'll post a photo of my screen?

I run this command and got this message: 63 0 0xffffff7f8135e000 0x3000 0x3000 com.apple.driver.AppleLPC (1.5.8) . Does it means that the kext is loaded?

Yes.

If it means, so the reason for Darwin Dumper has showed that it was not loaded might be because I hadn't done system modifications when I run it.

Correct

I put your dsdt, put GeneratePState=Yes and GenerateCState=Yes back into org.chameleon.boot.plist

No - remove those. Your board's native tables are good to use.

One way to check for your p-states is to load up IORegistryExplorer (from Apple's developer tools) and check the PerformanceStateArrary under AppleACPICPU -> ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin. Here's a screenshot from my end:

Ioreg_Pstates_pic.png

By the way, your dsdt fits great for me!!! Before, with my own edited dsdt, the restart was slow and the sleep didn't work properly. Thank you!!! =)

../snip/..

I've removed Null...kext!!! No problems at all! \o/

../snip/..

I've installed OrangeIconFix.kext!!! hahaha Nice! ;)

Well done :)

what do you intend to do with those dumps from DarwinDumper?

Well to be honest, not much. I won't have any spare time this weekend so I'm happy to leave you to play with your system and learn more about it. There's a wealth of information out there to read if you want to learn.

For example - looking at your System-Profiler.spx file I can see:

SMC Version (system):	1.30f3

when really, when trying to emulate a MacPro4,1 is should be more like:

SMC Version (system):	1.39f5

I'll leave that one for you to play with - for a start read this post at Prasys's blog.

Well done and keep up the good work :)

Great thread,

Another Rampage II Gene user - going to start from scratch and redux my DSDT also. I've experienced the >1min IOAPIC delay prior to 10.7.4 and spanning multiple BIOS/DSDT updates.

Curious how you made out with 10.7.4. With Vanilla kexts (and FakeSMC) I lost native 64-bit mode and reverting to 10.7.3's kernel + ACPIPlatform didn't seem to help.

J

Hi josh256

I've experienced the >1min IOAPIC delay prior to 10.7.4 and spanning multiple BIOS/DSDT updates.

I've heard about this but I've never experienced it - i guess I'm lucky.

Curious how you made out with 10.7.4. With Vanilla kexts (and FakeSMC) I lost native 64-bit mode and reverting to 10.7.3's kernel + ACPIPlatform didn't seem to help.

The 10.7.4 kernel boots in to 64-bit mode fine here. No need to change anything.

I do see the following SMC messages in my kernel log:

SMC::smcInitHelper ERROR: MMIO regMap == NULL - fall back to old SMC mode
SMC::smcReadKeyAction ERROR $Num kSMCKeyNotFound(0x84) fKeyHashTable=0x0

EDIT:

I added key $Num to FakeSMC's info.plist so the error regarding that has now gone.

All I can determine right now is that maybe AppleSMC is now looking for some extra stuff that FakeSMC doesn't provide. But having said that my iMac also has the following SMC errors in the kernel log:

SMC::smcReadKeyAction ERROR: smcReadData8 failed for key DPLM (kSMCKeyNotReadable)
SMC::smcReadKeyAction ERROR DPLM kSMCKeyNotReadable(0x85) fKeyHashTable=0x0xffffff8011f39000
SMC::smcReadKeyAction ERROR F0Sf kSMCBadArgumentError(0x89) fKeyHashTable=0x0xffffff8011f39000
SMC::smcReadKeyAction ERROR F1Sf kSMCBadArgumentError(0x89) fKeyHashTable=0x0xffffff8011f39000
SMC::smcReadKeyAction ERROR F2Sf kSMCBadArgumentError(0x89) fKeyHashTable=0x0xffffff8011f39000
SMC::smcInitHelper ERROR: MMIO regMap == NULL - fall back to old SMC mode
SMC::smcWriteKeyAction ERROR CLWK kSMCBadArgumentError(0x89) fKeyHashTable=0x0xffffff8012f59000

After some reading on Apple's support forum I did read that maybe the logging of these SMC key requests to the kernel log is now active where as before they weren't? But I don't know.

I hear Sandy Bridge CPU's have issues with speedstep but no problems with my 1st gen core i7.

A quick geekbench shows a score of 9473 in 10.7.3 and 9434 in 10.7.4.

...maybe I can have a look sometime in the future.

No problem. I'll wait.

Well if you're positive the thermal paste has been applied (I know you said an engineer did it for you) then I can suggest only that you get a better aftermarket cooler and look at the airflow in and out of your case. Is the PC stuck in a corner somewhere, would moving it help?

The airflow is ok. Anything is stuck.

It only appears once Intel® C-STATE Tech is enabled. I see it here under:

Advanced -> CPU Configuration

If you want, I'll post a photo of my screen?

I've disabled and enabled C-State Tech in order to check if C6 set would appear. But it hasn't. It might be a set not found in BIOS 1701. This is my guess. It's not necessary to post a photo of your screen. Thanks! =)

No - remove those. Your board's native tables are good to use.

One way to check for your p-states is to load up IORegistryExplorer (from Apple's developer tools) and check the PerformanceStateArrary under AppleACPICPU -> ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin. Here's a screenshot from my end:

Without P and CStates flags, the cpu temps get stuck on 83ºC!!!! :twisted::oops::?:o:shock:

Well to be honest, not much. I won't have any spare time this weekend so I'm happy to leave you to play with your system and learn more about it. There's a wealth of information out there to read if you want to learn.

For example - looking at your System-Profiler.spx file I can see:

SMC Version (system):	1.30f3

when really, when trying to emulate a MacPro4,1 is should be more like:

SMC Version (system):	1.39f5

I'll leave that one for you to play with - for a start read this post at Prasys's blog.

Well done and keep up the good work :)

Ok, I'm gonna work on it. Thank you very much, Nick!

EDIT 2: I've got 1.39f5, but I was not able to set TjMax as Prasy has suggested!

Cheers!

Great thread,

Another Rampage II Gene user - going to start from scratch and redux my DSDT also. I've experienced the >1min IOAPIC delay prior to 10.7.4 and spanning multiple BIOS/DSDT updates.

J

Hi, Josh! You're wellcome! =) I've not experienced such problems (in this case, maybe I'm as lucky as Nick! hahaha), so I have no idea about what the solution might be. :/

Have you installed Lion using MyHack methods? If no, try it! =) By the way, what's your bios version?

Cheers!

Hey, Nick. I don't have Apple's Developer Tools, do I? How can I get it? Is it free?

Other questions: Is it necessary an antivirus solution? Which one do you suggest? / The Lion firewall is disabled by default. Should I enable it?

Thanks, Nick! And sorry for disturbing you so much! :/

Cheers!

Was on 1307 until 10.7.4. After losing x64 I moved my DSDT, updated to 1701, generated a new dsdt and patched 5 or 6 generic issues w/ the old auto patcher (discontinued GUI based front end to patcher). It's odd, I recall my system crawling w/o a proper DSDT (SATA/AHCI patch resolved this issue) however when I updated to 1701 and booted sans-DSDT it seemed to boot up normally.. wondering if I missed something or perhaps the issue no longer manifests on 1701.

Technically I'm not concerned w/ patching HDA or graphics. Using an external M-Audio as I got fed up rolling back AppleHDA and using a natively supported 6850 (technically using GraphicsEnabler to inject the correct ATI frame buffer though..)

Yes, I've used myHack many, many times over the years however the current install is a basic chimera (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) w/ manual kext management via CLI..

EDIT:

Okay, looks like typing another project's name results in "Stolen rebranded version of chameleon".. I get the point however it's still very passive aggressive. It injected the correct frame buffer for my 6850..

I've disabled and enabled C-State Tech in order to check if C6 set would appear. But it hasn't. It might be a set not found in BIOS 1701. This is my guess. It's not necessary to post a photo of your screen. Thanks! =)

../snip/..

EDIT 1: Without P and CStates flags, the cpu temps get stuck on 83ºC!!!! :twisted::oops::?:o:shock:

What boot options do you have in org.chameleon.Boot.plist?

Maybe we need to double check your BIOS settings. This is what I see:

BIOS_CPU_Advanced.jpg

EDIT 2: I've got 1.39f5, but I was not able to set TjMax as Prasy has suggested!

Well done.

The Tjmax setting is no longer in FakeSMC's info.plist but now in IntelCPUMonitor.kext's info.plist - one of FakeSMC's plugins. I think I'm right in saying it defaults to 100, but there is an existing entry to allow it to be changed.

TjMax

However, a Tjmax of 100 is fine for the i7 920 2.67Ghz. Aida64 in Windows reports the following for my CPU:

CPUID Manufacturer	GenuineIntel
CPUID CPU Name	Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
CPUID Revision	000106A5h
IA Brand ID	00h (Unknown)
Platform ID	2Fh / MC 02h (LGA1366)
Microcode Update Revision	11
HTT / CMP Units	2 / 4
Tjmax Temperature	100 °C (212 °F)
CPU Thermal Design Power	130 W
CPU Thermal Design Current	110 A
Max Turbo Boost Multipliers     1C: 22x, 2C: 21x, 3C: 21x, 4C: 21x

I don't have Apple's Developer Tools, do I? How can I get it? Is it free?

Yep - The developer tools are free. You can download the latest version from Apple's app store.

Load up Xcode, then from the Xcode menu, select Open Developer Tool -> More Developer Tools… where you will be able to download the Hardware IO Tools for Xcode.

Other questions: Is it necessary an antivirus solution? Which one do you suggest? / The Lion firewall is disabled by default. Should I enable it?

We're going off topic here.

But quickly, I'd say there's no need for any antivirus - just use your common sense if anything asks for your authentication. And yes, turn the firewall on.