Asus Rampage II Gene - Revision 1 - BIOS version 1701

SubStandard

What boot options do you have in org.chameleon.Boot.plist?

Maybe we need to double check your BIOS settings.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

EthernetBuiltIn

Yes

GraphicsEnabler

Yes

Kernel

mach_kernel

Legacy Logo

Yes

Timeout

I'm very very sorry Nick, but I realized that I've confused SpeedStep Tech with C-State Tech. By the way, this last one isn't even in my BIOS. :/ You can check it right below:

post-863-13826558005494_thumb.jpg

Well done.

The Tjmax setting is no longer in FakeSMC's info.plist but now in IntelCPUMonitor.kext's info.plist - one of FakeSMC's plugins. I think I'm right in saying it defaults to 100, but there is an existing entry to allow it to be changed.

TjMax

Where should I put this entry? org.chameleon.boot.plist?

Yep - The developer tools are free. You can download the latest version from Apple's app store.

Load up Xcode, then from the Xcode menu, select Open Developer Tool -> More Developer Tools… where you will be able to download the Hardware IO Tools for Xcode.

Hey! I can't download "more developer tools"! I'm not a developer, i'm not registered as a developer... I would have to pay for it... $ 99... am I wrong?

We're going off topic here.

But quickly, I'd say there's no need for any antivirus - just use your common sense if anything asks for your authentication. And yes, turn the firewall on.

Done. Thanks!

Cheers!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for posting your org.chameleon.Boot.plist though it doesn't help reveal anything with regard to your power management - I was thinking maybe you had the DropSSDT boot option there but you don't.

I'm very very sorry Nick, but I realized that I've confused SpeedStep Tech with C-State Tech. By the way, this last one isn't even in my BIOS. :/ You can check it right below:

No matter, but I'm surprised you have so few options available considering we have the same motherboard (albeit different BIOS version) and CPU. I wonder why?

BTW, you can remove the EthernetBuiltIn boot option as that's enabled in your DSDT. See here:

Device (ETH0)
               {
                   Name (_ADR, Zero)
                   Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                   {
                       Store (Package (0x02)
                           {
                               "location", 
                               Buffer (0x02)
                               {
                                   "1"
                               }
                           }, Local0)
                       DTGP (Arg2, RefOf (Local0))
                       Return (Local0)
                   }
               }

TjMax

Where should I put this entry? org.chameleon.boot.plist?

No. I said that option is now in IntelCPUMonitor.kext's info.plist - one of FakeSMC's plugins. But there's no need to change it as our CPU defaults to Tjmax of 100. I was just showing where the option was in case somebody else reading this wanted to know.

You can use FakeSMC's plugins to help show your temps and working speedstep. Grab yourself the FakeSMC_plugins_Apps_rev609.zip from projectosx. Add IntelCPUMonitor.kext and WinbondW836x.kext to your /Extra folder alongside your existing FakeSMC.kext and re-run myHack -> myfix -> quick to update your myhack.kext and caches etc. then reboot. Once booted back up, run the HWMonitor app and you will see a new item in the menubar. You will then be able to see your temps and current multiplier. Here's a pic from my system:

HW_monitor_pic.jpg

The multiplier changes here from 12 to 21 depending on what I'm doing.

Hey! I can't download "more developer tools"! I'm not a developer, i'm not registered as a developer... I would have to pay for it... $ 99... am I wrong?

Well I didn't pay for it. I just entered my AppleID which is free to create when you use iTunes or the app store.

No matter, but I'm surprised you have so few options available considering we have the same motherboard (albeit different BIOS version) and CPU. I wonder why?

I guess it's because we have different revisions (1405 and 1701). I'll check it with Asus Support later.

BTW, you can remove the EthernetBuiltIn boot option as that's enabled in your DSDT. See here:

Device (ETH0)
               {
                   Name (_ADR, Zero)
                   Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                   {
                       Store (Package (0x02)
                           {
                               "location", 
                               Buffer (0x02)
                               {
                                   "1"
                               }
                           }, Local0)
                       DTGP (Arg2, RefOf (Local0))
                       Return (Local0)
                   }
               }

Removed. Everything is fine. Thanks for warning me! ;)

I was just showing where the option was in case somebody else reading this wanted to know.

Ok.

You can use FakeSMC's plugins to help show your temps and working speedstep. Grab yourself the FakeSMC_plugins_Apps_rev609.zip from projectosx. Add IntelCPUMonitor.kext and WinbondW836x.kext to your /Extra folder alongside your existing FakeSMC.kext and re-run myHack -> myfix -> quick to update your myhack.kext and caches etc. then reboot. Once booted back up, run the HWMonitor app and you will see a new item in the menubar. You will then be able to see your temps and current multiplier.

Done. My pic is attached. I've noticed that my LCD Poster (do you still have yours?) shows me one temperature (62ºC) and HWMonitor shows me another (68ºC - higher!) - by the way with P and CStates set back into org.chameleon.boot.plist. (Sorry, but I had to change it again in order for the temperature not getting stuck on 83ºC).

Well I didn't pay for it. I just entered my AppleID which is free to create when you use iTunes or the app store.

Well, I've tried once again to download more developer tools, this time entering my free Apple ID. But it was necessary to answer a query in order to mach it with Apple's developer area website. So, I decided not to go ahead. Sorry, I really don't want to match my free Apple ID with Developer Site. I'm not a developer and I'm afraid to do this! hahaha

So, if you don't mind attaching the correct app so that I can check my P-State, please do it. Otherwise, let's forget about checking it. :/

I am very thankful for your help and attention, Nick!

Cheers! :-D

post-863-13826558006411_thumb.png

I guess it's because we have different revisions (1405 and 1701). I'll check it with Asus Support later.

No it's not that. I've just flashed my BIOS with v1701 and I still have all the options I showed previously with v1405. Booted in to OS X just fine and speedstep is working fine.

Removed. Everything is fine. Thanks for warning me! ;)

No problem. It wasn't a warning - you just didn't need it.

Done. My pic is attached.

Well done :)

And I can see your CPU Package Multiplier is at it's lowest p-state (x12) which is good.

I've noticed that my LCD Poster (do you still have yours?) shows me one temperature (62ºC) and HWMonitor shows me another (68ºC - higher!)

No. I've never had one and to be honest I didn't know what it was until I googled it to find out.

Maybe one reads the temps for the CPU core and the other is reading the temp from the CPU casing? I don't know.

You did say previously that "In Windows 7, temperatures get around 60-65ºC" - so at least we know OS X is reporting similar temps. Though I still can explain your high CPU temps other than question the cooling / mounting of the heatsink - which I know you've said is okay. Personally, I would look at removing it and re-mounting it just to be sure.

by the way with P and CStates set back into org.chameleon.boot.plist. (Sorry, but I had to change it again in order for the temperature not getting stuck on 83ºC).

You still shouldn't need to do that. But the thing is I'm not sure what your missing....I'm going to have to think some more.

So, if you don't mind attaching the correct app so that I can check my P-State, please do it. Otherwise, let's forget about checking it. :/

Here you go:

IORegistryExplorer.zip

I am very thankful for your help and attention, Nick!

You're welcome

No it's not that. I've just flashed my BIOS with v1701 and I still have all the options I showed previously with v1405. Booted in to OS X just fine and speedstep is working fine.

=O Really?! So what do you think about downgrading my bios to 1405 and reflashing 1701 (only to test if one of these two procedures solves my problem)? I've sent Asus Support an e-mail asking about C-State and about my temps problems.

No. I've never had one and to be honest I didn't know what it was until I googled it to find out.

dgsga should have given it to you, once it is a part of the motherboard he has sold!!!

Maybe one reads the temps for the CPU core and the other is reading the temp from the CPU casing? I don't know.

Maybe, you're right. I don't know either! hahaha

You did say previously that "In Windows 7, temperatures get around 60-65ºC" - so at least we know OS X is reporting similar temps. Though I still can explain your high CPU temps other than question the cooling / mounting of the heatsink - which I know you've said is okay. Personally, I would look at removing it and re-mounting it just to be sure.

Yes, they are similar but they are still too high. I want them like yours (38ºC - 42ºC), that's why I've sent Asus an e-mail. \o/ Concerning the cooler, I guess removing and re-mountig it wouldn't work because it is not a recent problem. :/ Also, I'm afraid of doing this too... hahahah (that's why I myself haven't changed thermal paste!) :/

You still shouldn't need to do that. But the thing is I'm not sure what your missing....I'm going to have to think some more.

THANKS, THANKS, THANKS!!!

Here you go:

post-8-023242100 1291700687_thumb.jpg

=O Really?! So what do you think about downgrading my bios to 1405 and reflashing 1701 (only to test if one of these two procedures solves my problem)?

No, I don't think flashing your BIOS will prove anything and besides it always introduces an element of risk.

dgsga should have given it to you, once it is a part of the motherboard he has sold!!!

No. I am very thankful for his kindness so I don't care about that. End of story.

Concerning the cooler, I guess removing and re-mountig it wouldn't work because it is not a recent problem. :/ Also, I'm afraid of doing this too... hahahah (that's why I myself haven't changed thermal paste!):/

Could maybe a friend or someone else do it for you?

Now, my P-State Array is attached! Very different from yours though.

Yes, I see you have a performance state array but with only two entries. Was this produced from your machine booted with or without using Chameleon's Generate PState/CState boot options?

Also, I see the property numbers are all 0? (Looking here I see the same - it must be due to the v3.0 I sent you as v2.0 shows them indexed - maybe a bug?)

EDIT:

Okay - I've run a test here using the following Chameleon boot options:

DropSSDT
Yes
GeneratePStates
Yes
GenerateCStates
Yes

Looking at Chameleon's boot log I see:

Found ACPI CPU: P001
Found ACPI CPU: P002
Found ACPI CPU: P003
Found ACPI CPU: P004
Found ACPI CPU: P005
Found ACPI CPU: P006
Found ACPI CPU: P007
Found ACPI CPU: P008
SSDT with CPU C-States generated successfully
P-States: min 0xc, max 0x14
SSDT with CPU P-States generated successfully
RSDT: Added 2 SSDT table(s)

Do you see similar?

For further investigation, could you boot your machine without and with the above Chameleon boot options and then load up IORegistryExplorer and do a file->save and send me the file for comparison here?

Could maybe a friend or someone else do it for you?

Unfortunately, not.

Was this produced from your machine booted with or without using Chameleon's Generate PState/CState boot options?

With.

...could you boot your machine without and with the above Chameleon boot options and then load up IORegistryExplorer and do a file->save and send me the file for comparison here?

With (added Drop): temps got a lithe bit higher - from 62ºC to 65ºC (according to LCD Poster)

Customizing SystemID with : 00a5001e-8c00-01c8-6c4d-00248c44f807

Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,4)/Extra/DSDT.aml] 4281 bytes.

ACPI table not found: SSDT.aml

FADT: Restart Fix applied!

FADT: Using custom DSDT!

Found ACPI CPU: P001

Found ACPI CPU: P002

Found ACPI CPU: P003

Found ACPI CPU: P004

Found ACPI CPU: P005

Found ACPI CPU: P006

Found ACPI CPU: P007

Found ACPI CPU: P008

SSDT with CPU C-States generated successfully

P-States: min 0xc, max 0x14

SSDT with CPU P-States generated successfully

RSDT: Added 2 SSDT table(s)

Without: temps got stuck on 85ºC (according to LCD Poster)

Customizing SystemID with : 00a5001e-8c00-01c8-6c4d-00248c44f807

Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,4)/Extra/DSDT.aml] 4281 bytes.

ACPI table not found: SSDT.aml

FADT: Restart Fix applied!

FADT: Using custom DSDT!

Both P-State Arrays attached.

post-863-13826558008384_thumb.png

post-863-13826558009047_thumb.png

Okay. So this shows you have p-states with both options - and I get the exact same results with both options here (which makes sense as we are both using the same CPU, mono and boot loader in this case). So in theory you don't need to use the Chameleon boot options - but I see you still get the high temps when doing so.

Did you manage to file->save the ioreg from IORegistryExplorer for each boot and not just a screengrab of the performancestatearrays ? This way I can check mine against yours.