myHack 3.x - Feedback

blackosx

I sent you the new build via email, please test and let me know as soon as you can, I won't be releasing this build officially - but I will include the change in 3.2 if it works as expected.

Thanks

Hi Conti

This morning I adapted my main system to run using myHack.kext, built by myFix which I pointed to my /Volumes/Boot/Extra folder when asked. This worked great and I think I'll now use this method for all my installs.

However, I use a single HDD partition for my bootloader stuff and have my /Extra folder there and not on any of my OS X volumes. When running myFix I currently see the following in the log:

WARNING: Extra not found on target...
Installing your Extra from /Volumes/BOOT/Extra/ to /Extra...

Would it be possible for myFix to do it's stuff using the directed /Extra folder without having it copy the /Extra folder to the target root?

Thanks

The idea here is to have an /Extra on each OS partition, there are several reasons for this, independent configuration on a per OS/Partition basis for example without the use of 10.(6/7/8) subdirectories... But others I will get to in a moment.

I don't think having an Extra on your OS partition should trouble anyone, although I myself used to do it the same way you are describing I have switched to having an Extra on each OS Volume (of which I have about 4 on this system alone).

The issue in altering the functionality is, when you simply want to run myfix, for example - say you want to test some new extensions only on one partition, myfix is going to look in /target/Extra/Extensions for the new extensions that need merging with /target/system/library/extensions/ - while this could be done from /someothervolume/Extra - it would have to be defined each time you run it, and would not allow for testing fully independent configurations across the different OS partitions. Currently only during Extra installation does myhack acquire a custom path for an Extra directory - new functions would need to be added to myfix, and when run from single user mode - volumes outside of / aren't even available - which is probably the biggest issue.

There are a couple of other things planned in the myHack 4.0 branch that would also rely on /Extra/ being available on each booted OS volume... So that makes me even more reluctant to add support for this configuration.

There is probably a few creative solutions that would extend at least some support for this kind of functionality, the question is, how many users really want this functionality? And does anyone really *need* it? (aside from users running raid boot volumes and using EFI partition for loader, but that is an entirely separate matter which I have not even began to address yet and isn't high on my list of priorities)...

although I myself used to do it the same way you are describing I have switched to having an Extra on each OS Volume (of which I have about 4 on this system alone).

I've decided to bring myself in line and change my ways to follow what you suggest as it makes sense.

I came round to the thinking of although I've managed perfectly well the way I was doing it, I'd be foolish to ignore an easier method of managing the system. myfix provides a complete solution for adding new/alternative/patched extensions whilst keeping the system operating correctly with regards to ownership, permissions & caches.

All my OS X volumes now have /Extra and when required, I use myfix to populate myhack.kext and generate new caches. Maintaining my OS installation(s) this way can now be as simple as possible.

..and when run from single user mode - volumes outside of / aren't even available - which is probably the biggest issue.

Very true - I had never thought of that.

Thanks for the explanation and giving me the reason to update my methods :)

Reason for edit: My original post here was done quickly due to little time, I've made the post more comprehensive.