Issue with myHack 3.0 or Asus P5Q Pro

rekabis

I seem to be having a bit of a problem.

My System:

• [*:8th00so6]Asus P5Q Pro
    [*:8th00so6]Modded 2102 BIOS by Juzzi (as recommended by all InsanelyMac forum threads… can I re-flash with stock BIOS?)
    [*:8th00so6]Kingston Hyper-X 2GB PC2-1066 (system sees it as PC2-800 for some reason, will not allow me to properly clock it).
    [*:8th00so6]Intel Core 2 Quad (about the 8000 level, 2.33Ghz)
    [*:8th00so6]Nvidia 6600 (works just fine with the installer despite being under spec)
    [*:8th00so6]WD 320GB SATA II (a recycled Apple drive!!) on port 1 of the 6-port RAID cluster (port is set to AHCI… will hardware RAID work later under OS X?? I want to set up a RAID-5 array with the other 4 ports once this system is stable)
    [*:8th00so6]LG SATA-II DVD-RW on port 2 of the 6-port RAID cluster

When I first create my OS X 10.7.3 Lion USB installer on my wife’s Macbook Air running Snow Leopard (myHack 3.0 is under Utilities), the entire installer goes fine except for one part.

If you can make it out, the modification of OSInstall.pkg is where everything goes sideways. I am using my Wife’s Macbook Air with Snow Leopard to do the building of the USB Installer (from the ~3.9GB DMG file of Lion). She has her own account (the only one set up) along with a proper password (and no, it’s NOT “password†as above, I just replaced her actual password with that for this dump). Problem is, this utility can’t seem to make proper use of her admin password. I did check, she *is* an admin on the computer. In fact, her account is the only one set up. Multiple attempts at creating the bootable DVD provide identical results.

Should I be enabling root and assigning a password? If so, IMHO this needs to be made more clear in the Guide.

Also, I believe that this is directly related to the above error, but upon installing OS X, the initial install is just like a traditional install -- as in, it doesn’t include a whole bunch of “growl alerts†as mentioned in the Guide. As such, upon first boot all I get is a black screen with a blinking cursor (underline cursor). When I go back into the installer and try to install Chameleon, that installer throws errors -- something about there not being a proper boot sector, or something like that (didn’t exactly record that error message).

Interesting tidbit: I love to customize installations, but this install has a blank screen when I click on Customize prior to the install (and after selecting the drive). Does this blank window (with no options to be selected or deselected) point toward additional problems, or is it a result of the Lion DMG I acquired being so small in the first place? Since providing further info appears to be against the rules, I will leave it at that. PM me for more info.

This is a known issue with 3.0, it has been resolved in 3.1 (which will be released very soon, I posted a partial changelog of what was done so far, at the time I posted it, HERE). It was not the admin password it was an issue with the build of pkgutil bundled in myhack - the build was incompatible with snow leopard.

All lion installers have blank screens under customize, I attempted to resolve the issue a few months ago but it is something *Apple* did - it looks like they started to write the localizations for each menu entry in OSInstall.mpkg and then just gave up half way through and set display=false on all of them. I suspect the customize installation screen on real macs is handled in the binary now - or perhaps they intend to remove it in the future. Even if I set display=true the localizations don't show up and basically all the titles and descriptions are empty and all you have is a bunch of checkboxes with no information. To resolve this fully would take weeks of defining the correct localization data and writing the missing ones by hand for every os version from 10.7 - so I've left it alone.

In regards to using hacked bios, it is not something I have ever suggested or recommended (except in cases where you want to remove a whitelist), but if you are having no issues with it so far I wouldn't say it is necessary to revert it. Of course you can revert it at any time should you choose to do so.

NOTE: I removed your log on purpose so as not to confuse anyone in the future. This will not be an issue with 3.1+ and it will be released within the day.

Wow. Thanks for the quick reply!

Will 3.1 be released within the week, and if not, is there a workaround for the problem I experienced? I do not have immediate access to a non-SL version, as both my parents and my wife make use of SL. My in-laws do not (they have just Leopard) but I do not know when I will be over at their place next (or have the time to do what I need to do when I’m over there). I am looking to move forward with this install this weekend, so I am really chomping on the bit here… I am really excited to have an all-in-one installer that actually works on non-Apple hardware, and can’t wait to get this up and running! (boing, boing, boing!)

I will try reverting back to a stock, official BIOS and see what happens. Coming from the security end of I.T., this custom BIOS really did bug me (particularly, I think, because it is a BIOS and not just some code running in memory). And especially since it was from some hacker in Russia. But hey, it was recommended by quite a few threads on the InsanelyMac forums, and it was specific to installing OS X on the P5Q series. It just took me a while to find a non-MegaUpload download location.

So, are you saying that even the Lion installers being run on actual Mac hardware have blank Customize screens as well? Strange…

Cheers, and thanks!

Thank you! Thank you! THANK YOU! As for my previous comment about timing, I was going off of what you said in your reply, as I didn't expect different information elsewhere.

Just a few more notes…

Used Darik’s Boot & Nuke to wipe the drive, but still had Chameleon issues on the first boot. The actual install went wonderfully, now that I had a 10.7.3 USB drive with myHack 3.1. However, on first boot I still got the following error:

boot0: GTP
boot0: test
boot0: GTP
boot0: error

So I followed the suggestion by using the USB installer, but instead of going into the actual Lion installer, I hit a key when Chameleon (on the USB drive) was giving its countdown. I then saw my newly installed copy of Lion on the hard drive, selected it (instead of the Lion installer) and booted into it with the following flags (just to be on the safe side):

UseKernelCache=No -v -f

Once in Lion, I spawned a Terminal window, and put in the following command:

myfix -t / -i

It did give some warning about something not being flushed (the boot cache? Can’t remember), but the actual end result claimed to be successful. Upon reboot, I yanked my USB installer and the system booted perfectly via Chameleon from the hard drive.

I still have no network, no sound, and am probably missing a few other things as well. Going to start looking for a packaged assembly of Kexts for the ASUS P5Q Pro motherboard that I have, but any suggestions would be appreciated. I know that the InsanelyMac forums does have links to resources, but those are already several years old and meant for Leopard/Snow Leopard.

The warning is the boot sector not being able to be flushed, it is better to use the instructions I posted on the post you linked to and boot directly into the installer, run myHack from the utilities menu, and run the chameleon installation from there - this way it can unmount the targeted device and wipe the boot sector in addition to the installation of chameleon itself.

Also you don't really need to run myfix from the terminal, it can be done from the myHack app - either way works though.

Glad you got it sorted anyway :)