Noobish review: myHack3.1 & Wake Up problem

digital farmer

I'm impressed - although a bit confused - by blackosx 'review' of myHack3.x in other thread. I'm far less smart, so I can't write as deep a review as his, instead, here is my review :)

I've just installed Mountain Lion DP3 on my PC which has to be OS X re-installed since I change the Motherboard (same type but new one and with newer BIOS given to me by Asus as replacement for my dead old one. I was lucky because the warranty date will be end in just few days) and I also change my Graphic to 8400GS.

I installed it side by side (Dual Boot with Windows 8 which already there before & doesn't need to be re-install after the motherboard & Graphic Card change).

I use myHack 3.1, and as I always predict before, it is smooth without any problem whatsoever :)

Thank You for your great work (I'm sorry I haven't donate as you deserved, but I'm sure I will, when my paypal/CC active).

I think myHack is the best and most beautiful hackintosh tool in the world. Also the guide, blog, forum, etc.

Only my question is: I'm ok with the non graphical Boot Choice UI now, but I know sometime I'll be missing the graphical UI too. Is there any way I can do to create that?

Oh yeah, and one minor problem:

the sleep,..If I click it, bring it to sleep, my system can't wake up after that.

(In Snow Leopard 10.6.8, before, I have no problem with that, without any kext. My additional kext in SL was only: FakeSMC, EVOReboot, 'ala Conti - patched' IONetworking and VoodooHDA).

Now my additional kext is only that 'patched IONetworking' and VoodooHDA for audio. Oh, and I don't use DSDT now (cause I don't know the proper way to create it). When in SL, I used DSDT.

I'm sorry for my very noobish review & questions.

Of course you can still use boot themes - just place one in /Extra/Themes/default - or another path under Themes and define it in the boot plist for example if you have /Extra/Themes/SomeTheme you would add the following to your org.chameleon.Boot.plist:

Theme
SomeTheme

For sleep you need some things patched in your dsdt probably, also that IONetworkingFamily.kext is no longer required, just pull the plugin you need out of it, pop that in /Extra/Extensions/ and run myfix.

Hope this answers your questions.

Of course you can still use boot themes - just place one in /Extra/Themes/default - or another path under Themes and define it in the boot plist for example if you have /Extra/Themes/SomeTheme you would add the following to your org.chameleon.Boot.plist:

Theme
SomeTheme

Ok I'll try later. Right now I don't have any themes to install, except maybe grab from my older chameleon files or something.

For sleep you need some things patched in your dsdt probably, also that IONetworkingFamily.kext is no longer required, just pull the plugin you need out of it, pop that in /Extra/Extensions/ and run myfix.

Hope this answers your questions.

Yeah,..I think so. The problem is I don't know how to create my DSDT properly, as I've told you before in my other thread :) The last time I create DSDT, I ask you was it the right way? and your answer was no. So I'm not gonna do it that way anymore.

About the IONetworkingFamily, before I patched it I already had that feeling that it is no longer required, since I couldn't find the thread about it in FAQ Section anymore. I thought it might had been removed by you because it's no longer needed.

But I did still patch the IONetworking Family like I used to do because I don't know what better to do to make my ethernet (internet) works.

Now my ethernet and internet is already working as I expect. Should I redo it?

I don't understand; What do you mean by "just pull the plugin.." ?

Thank You in advance :)

what I mean by just pull the plugin is reverse the process, open IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ and grab just the extension used for your network interface, put that in /e/e and remove the IONetworkingFamily.kext itself.

what I mean by just pull the plugin is reverse the process, open IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ and grab just the extension used for your network interface, put that in /e/e and remove the IONetworkingFamily.kext itself.

OK, done! Thank You :)

Now about DSDT:

This is your post in my other thread about it:

My 2cents: I wouldn't consider this the 'right' way personally, I am working on something that may at least make this a little simpler to get started with that will be released with the next version of myHack/myFix. ...

Is there already that 'simpler way' to get started (to create DSDT) yet?

Right now I don't have any themes to install, except maybe grab from my older chameleon files or something.

Hi digital farmer.

You can find a collection of Chameleon themes at the Theme Park section of the voodooprojects forum.

Note: You'll need to be registered to see the downloads etc.

Right now I don't have any themes to install, except maybe grab from my older chameleon files or something.

Hi digital farmer.

You can find a collection of Chameleon themes at the Theme Park section of the voodooprojects forum.

Note: You'll need to be registered to see the downloads etc.

Hi blackosx, thanks for your reply, of course I'll be there right away :)

Anyway since you were here, if you/Conti (or anyone here) maybe read this again, would you please help guide me about the easiest way to create my own DSDT? But too bad I know nothing about Linux nor programming. I'm sure you and Conti are busy man, but I wish one of you (or anyone here) would like to.

I've been asking for this in many forums in the net without result. I know maybe I'm too dumb compare to others when it comes to technical problem like this, I'm sorry.

BTW I like to read your feedback about myHack 3, although it's far too 'smart' for me, because I admit that I still don't understand it after read it few many times, but I know it's good somehow LOL

would you please help guide me about the easiest way to create my own DSDT?

../snip/...

I've been asking for this in many forums in the net without result.

I think the reason you don't get many answers is because ACPI is a huge subject and not many people have a wide, holistic, knowledge of it. Some names that spring to mind that I've seen demonstrate great skill in this area are THe KiNG and Masterchief for example, otherwise you will find a large number of users who know and understand certain parts of it and then many more, like me, who only know small parts which have been learned from reading and testing code posted by others.

I have only scratched the surface throughout my endeavours to read the ACPIspec as it takes a lot of time and dedication to read and understand the code and then try to match it all against the chipset(s) of your own hardware. I would love to be able to say to you.. "Right then, this is what you need to do". But unfortunately, I can't. I fail at becoming an intellectual on ACPI because my brain always wants to do something else instead.

The only real way to learn is to search and read from the myriad of topics that already exist in a number of forums, blogs and online resources, then roll up your sleeves and get stuck in with trial and error. Don't forget that our PC's BIOS knows nothing of OS X that we attempt to run on our hacks and for that a good starting place is to examine Apple's ACPI tables for reference to see how they do it.

Pick yourself one issue which you have and concentrate on trying to fix that. Annotate the parts of the code as you learn about them, making changes slowly and checking the code still compiles as you go. And don't expect to get it right first time. With the right amount to time, patience, dedication and effort, it can be learned and the more time you spend on it, the more it will start to make sense.

Sorry if this post doesn't give you an answer you were expecting but that's all I can give here. But I wish you every success in your quest :)

@blackosx:

Whoaa!! LOL....

I don't think I will nor be able to learn that 'complex' thing. I'm just an average PC user guy who love OS X to do my job & have fun with it but don't have enough money to buy the Apple Computer (even if now I changed my mind about it...I prefer Hackintosh machine than Apple's - except for their portable line).

So, about DSDT, yeah I know your answer is very true. Now I only see three options for me:

1. Keep on without any DSDT like this; or

2. Do what I did with my 10.6.8 before; create my DSDT 'ala Olarila' albeit what Conti told me that "personally for him - it's not the right way to do"; or

3. Learn to create DSDT - either using DSDTSE (which Conti said "A shortcut you may want to try ... one of the few applications for dsdt editing on hackintosh that I would endorse, albiet unfinished in it's current form it is reasonably useful...") or "linux extraction method, although it is rather complex". Both of them I don't know how to do yet :P

Then wait until somebody guides me about a simpler & right way to create DSDT.

I think for now I pick the no.1 option.

Anyway, thank you very much for your reply & information :)