Noobish review: myHack3.1 & Wake Up problem

digital farmer

Don't give up so easily ;)

Have you searched for anybody else using a DSDT for your board?

Maybe like here? It might give you a starting point...

No, actually I don;t :D

I just haven't found the right way yet :)

If you haven't read it, maybe you can check my thread here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=293

Actually, I've been created my own DSDT (when I was in Snow Leopard). I made it in Windows XP with Olarila's tool. I thought everything was OK (and it seem was, actually, because at that time, all -including sleep-wake- worked well). Until Conti told me that he doesn't think it's the right way (you can read it in the thread above). Conti must be know what he said, so I won't do it again this time with my new installed Mountain Lion.

Conti also point me some 'way-out', by the way, it is between using DSDTSE or Linux. I don't have and don't know about Linux. So maybe DSDTSE would be the choice. Too bad I don't know how to use it. Some guide I found - including youtube videos, doesn't help me to understand. Maybe I'd search guide about how to use it anywhere in the internet some more.

The last choice - by not using any DSDT for the time being now - is not too bad a choice either IMHO, since the fact is that I don't have any problem now. Except 'sleep-wake'. To be honest, it doesn't really matters to me.

But of course I will keep searching for the best - albeit my limitation.

Thank You blackosx :) hope my english doesn't confusing you LOL

P.S.: oh and the insanelymac thread you point me to: that's different motherboard than mine...mine is P5KPL-SE, that is P5KPL AM-SE

No, actually I don;t :D

Good for you :)

If you haven't read it, maybe you can check my thread here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=293

Actually, I've been created my own DSDT (when I was in Snow Leopard). I made it in Windows XP with Olarila's tool. I thought everything was OK (and it seem was, actually, because at that time, all -including sleep-wake- worked well).

Forgive me for not reading your thread thoroughly as I don't have lots of time right now. But it looks like you've spent some time patching a DSDT already and from what you say it worked.

Until Conti told me that he doesn't think it's the right way (you can read it in the thread above). Conti must be know what he said, so I won't do it again this time with my new installed Mountain Lion.

Well I guess your topic was titled "Is it the right way to create my own DSDT?" so Conti's reply was to that. He suggests using Linux to extract the ACPI tables from BIOS (which I also suggest you do - see PolishOX's thread here).

I don't have and don't know about Linux.

Then you can always download an i386 v10.04 iso, burn the .iso to a CD-ROM and boot from it and follow the instructions in aschar's script (at the bottom of PolishOX's post). It's not actually that difficult.

Otherwise there's DSDTSE as a secondary option.I loaded it up once and hated it. Maybe I didn't give it a chance and it really is a decent app but I have managed to work without it.

The last choice - by not using any DSDT for the time being now - is not too bad a choice either IMHO, since the fact is that I don't have any problem now. Except 'sleep-wake'. To be honest, it doesn't really matters to me.

But you have a DSDT that you made before don't you? If it works then can't you use that?

P.S.: oh and the insanelymac thread you point me to: that's different motherboard than mine...mine is P5KPL-SE, that is P5KPL AM-SE

Okay. But I wasn't suggesting you use it, just look at it for reference and comparison to yours. It may help - that's all :)

...He suggests using Linux to extract the ACPI tables from BIOS (which I also suggest you do - see PolishOX's thread here).

I don't have and don't know about Linux.

Then you can always download an i386 v10.04 iso, burn the .iso to a CD-ROM and boot from it and follow the instructions in aschar's script (at the bottom of PolishOX's post). It's not actually that difficult.

I'll do it :D

----------

Otherwise there's DSDTSE as a secondary option.I loaded it up once and hated it. Maybe I didn't give it a chance and it really is a decent app but I have managed to work without it.

Yea.. I kinda feel that way too, although maybe for my 'noob' reason :D I can't understand how to use it, even if I read (and watch) guides about it.

----------

But you have a DSDT that you made before don't you? If it works then can't you use that?

Yes I do, but to use that again now, I don't think so, because:

1. It was created with Olarila's tool which (Conti told me) is not the right way to create DSDT.

2. I have different motherboard (same type, P5KPL SE, but a new one, different BIOS.. well, even the PCB Color is different :) - It is replacement unit from Asus for my dead old one) & different Graphic card now (used to be 7300GS, now is 8400GS).

----------

Okay. But I wasn't suggesting you use it, just look at it for reference and comparison to yours. It may help - that's all :)

Yes I also think that's what you suggest to me and yes I'll learn something about it too.

But I think I'd rather "Choose The Linux Way" by start my 'first journey' in Linux (and ashar script instruction) as you told me above. Wish me luck :D

Thank you verymuch for your kind informations, blackosx :)

----------

UPDATE:

I've visited Old Releases Ubuntu Site but I don't know which one to download. Enlightment please..

I've visited Old Releases Ubuntu Site but I don't know which one to download. Enlightment please..

10.04 - i386

Yes I do, but to use that again now, I don't think so, because:

1. It was created with Olarila's tool which (Conti told me) is not the right way to create DSDT.

2. I have different motherboard (same type, P5KPL SE, but a new one, different BIOS.. well, even the PCB Color is different :) - It is replacement unit from Asus for my dead old one) & different Graphic card now (used to be 7300GS, now is 8400GS).

1 - The creation method might be in question there, but ultimately if the end result is correct then it's still a valid file.

2 - So for a like for like replacement board, just different BIOS, your plan of attack should be to extract the ACPI tables (from Linux) and compare them with the ACPI tables you would have originally dumped from your old board (be it either using Linux or a different method back then). You may be surprised to find there's not much difference - meaning you can apply the same patches to your new DSDT or, amend your existing DSDT with the differences (if any) that you find in your new tables.

But I think I'd rather "Choose The Linux Way" by start my 'first journey' in Linux (and ashar script instruction) as you told me above. Wish me luck :D

That's great. So just to be clear here, all you're doing it dumping the ACPI tables from your BIOS without there being any influence from any boot loader used to boot OS X on your hack, and also grabbing any other details that aschar's script gathers . Once you have them, you can then begin comparing, stripping and patching them for your system to make them compatible for OS X.