Rick5

Recovery Partition

This is probably a stoooopid question that's been answered a gazzillionty times before but ...

does anyone know how to make a lion or mountain lion installation with the recovery partition that parts of icloud seems to always be looking for????

just thought I'd ask.

TIA

Rick

Aurora, IL.

Hi Rick 5

See this MacOSXHints post. It works great.

Steps

1 - Run createRecoveryHDUpdater.command and follow instructions to add RecoveryHDUpdate.dmg and InstallLionApp

2 - Double-click to mount the resulting dmg, and then run createRecoveryHDUpdater.command inside it

3 - Choose your destination Volume that you want the Recovery HD associated with. Note: whichever volume you select must have 650MB free as the script will steal 650MB from the end of that disk partition to create the Recovery HD.

4 - When finished, Diskutil list will now show the Recovery HD.

This will be enough for OS X to allow 'Find My Mac' under iCloud, but after a reboot 'Find My Mac' will be disabled because the nvram variables will have been lost. The way around this is save the contents of nvram and restore it back at boot time. I use RevoGirl's nvramStorage.

Booting the Recovery HD

If you decide you want to boot the Recovery HD, then AFAIK Chameleon can't do it. However, Clover can.

Patching the Recovery HD

I then experimented with adding my patched kexts for enabling my network so I could then use Safari from it, and thought why not add my SMC stuff etc. too? It was a while back when I did this, so I think this is what I did:

5 - To View the Recovery HD in Disk Utility, use:

defaults write com.apple.DiskUtility DUDebugMenuEnabled 1

Then from the debug menu, select 'Show every partition'.

to disable, use:

defaults write com.apple.DiskUtility DUDebugMenuEnabled 0

6 - Mount the Recovery HD from Disk Utility.

7 - Double click com.apple.recovery.boot/BaseSystem.dmg to mount Mac OS X Base System.

8 - Copy the whole volume to your HDD somewhere. eg. your Desktop

First - Create a folder named Mac OS X Base System

mkdir ~/Desktop/Mac\ OS\ X\ Base\ System

Then - copy to that folder

sudo ditto /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Base\ System/ ~/Desktop/Mac\ OS\ X\ Base\ System

9 - Eject the mounted Mac OS X Base System volume.

10 - Copy myhack.kext from my existing Volume (from step 3)

sudo cp -R /Volumes/ML/System/Library/Extensions/myHack.kext ~/Desktop/Mac\ OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/Extensions

11 - Trash Mac\ OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache

12 - Open Disk Utility, select File -> New -> Disk Image from Folder -> Select Mac OS X Base System folder.

Give the name BaseSystem, choose destination and select compressed, Encryption None.

13 - Trash original Recovery HD BaseSystem.dmg and copy back new one.

cd /Volumes/Recovery\ HD/com.apple.recovery.boot
sudo rm BaseSystem.dmg 
sudo cp ~/Desktop/BaseSystem.dmg /Volumes/Recovery\ HD/com.apple.recovery.boot

14 - Unmount Recovery HD

15 - Reboot and choose the Recovery HD from Clover.

Your added patches should now be loaded and your network should work. If for example you included fakeSMC and the HW sensor plugins, you can load up the HWMonitor app for viewing all your SMC values/temps etc.

Maybe conti could look to patching the Recovery HD with myHack so it appears as an option, just like he's done with the OS X installer?

just out of curiosity though....do you believe that ML will work in a similar manner?

TIA

Rick

Got my recovery partition....piece of cake.

Just couldn't revogirls thing to work, but it really isn't a huge deal right now.

thanks for all the info...

R.

Aurora, IL.

just out of curiosity though....do you believe that ML will work in a similar manner?

Yes. I created one for my ML DP4 install.

Got my recovery partition....piece of cake.

Great. Well done :)

Just couldn't revogirls thing to work, but it really isn't a huge deal right now.

No problem. I can't remember if I modded it in anyway, but it works for me.

Thanks Conti.

With some thought the steps could be re-written to be a proper step by step guide, but I'm sure most people here can read between the lines. BTW - I realised I'd missed a step.. Step 8 has now been changed to avoid copying the Mac OS X Base System directly to the Desktop.

... after a reboot 'Find My Mac' will be disabled because the nvram variables will have been lost. The way around this is save the contents of nvram and restore it back at boot time. I use RevoGirl's nvramStorage.

I have successfully created a recovery partition on my hackintosh laptop but, as you said, 'Find My Mac' gets disabled with every reboot. I have downloaded RevoGirl's nvramStorage files, but haven't the slightest idea of how to implement them. The README file that is included is devoid of instructions. Could someone either shed some light or point me in the right direction. I would really like to get 'Find My Mac' functional.

Thanks,

Rob

I have successfully created a recovery partition on my hackintosh laptop but, as you said, 'Find My Mac' gets disabled with every reboot. I have downloaded RevoGirl's nvramStorage files, but haven't the slightest idea of how to implement them. The README file that is included is devoid of instructions. Could someone either shed some light or point me in the right direction. I would really like to get 'Find My Mac' functional.

Thanks,

Rob

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/286258-filenvram-111-released/

If using Chameleon, if you have the FileNVRAM.dylib module loaded, couldn't you just use the nvram command to add whatever you need?  Personally I have to use FileNVRAM.dylib in order to get iMessage working.

• Our picks

• [SUCCESS] DELL LATITUDE E5440 - High Sierra 10.13.2 [UEFI]
       What Works / Does Not Work: Everything works except the built-in Intel WiFi wireless network card.
      NOTE: The NVIDIA GT 720M, specifically the external graphics card, is completely disabled (on MacOS).
      • 2 replies
    • Welcome to OSXL! We are looking for volunteers to join us!
      Welcome to OSXL! 😀

We, at OSXL, are a bunch of passionate Hackintoshers who have joined together for creating a community to drive learning, sharing and helping people interested in running Apple Mac software or tinkering with it on non-Apple hardware. We do research and development on a voluntary basis in our free time.

Since its inception in 2010, our team evolved with people joining and going for all sorts of reasons. Nevertheless, this team brought out some of the best people who contributed to making the Hackintosh community progress. Unlike some other players, we’re very proud to we have consistently offered an ad-free website without calling for financial support, except on very rare occasions, and also made one of the best looking sites.😍 

Back in the days, we also designed our "EDP" project to provide a common OS X installation package and a unified post-installation tool. EDP basically offered a central hub for system tuning. The project went through several phase and the latest one is currently Work In Progress. We also completed some research work and developed drivers, fixes and patches for some hardware.

We recently revamped our site to a more modern look and implemented latest security features so to give our members an improvise quality of experience.

Also, we are looking to expand for diversifying the content on our site not only to Apple OS, but also Linux, Android and Windows in the very near future with research and development as tech industry has changed a lot recent years and there is so much we can do in other areas and be relevant to what we do. 

We are looking for passionate and dedicated people who can invest time and efforts in our community on projects like EDP and many others. 

Drop us a line here in comments or through PM if interested so that we can chat about motivation, skills and ideas.

You can find our crew list here if you would like to PM instead: OSXL Crew

OSXL

• 0 replies