ZIF PATA SSD Drive Topic

sketchy

Hi all,

Thinking about swapping the hard drive out of my D430 for a SSD option. Just wondered what SSD models other are using and their success?

Also slightly related, where might i get a new HDD ribbon connector from?

Cheer

James

Cheers guys, anyone recommend a drive to use? Or perhaps one not to use.

Can see quite a few different types of zif connectors for the 1.8" hard drives, but nothing that look correct.

Does anyone know if the dells/d4** range has a proprietary connection on the motherboard end of the ribbon cable?

Looking for advice on detaching the hard drive connector for the D430.

I downloaded the D430 service manual, but the pictures aren't very detailed.

For anyone who has changed hard drives, could you give advice on: "Use a hard drive tool to carefully pry up the ZIF connector that holds the hard drive cable, and remove the cable."

I've worked on a lot of Mac laptops over the years and I have always hated this type of ZIF connector, i.e., the little white bar that you have to "pry up" so that it's vertical to the hard drive, instead of horizontal, like when it's pushed back down to hold the ZIF connector.

As usual, it looks really fragile and could be easy to break off.

On Mac laptops in the past I've used my fingernail to flip up this type of connector, but this D430 one seems a bit stiffer and harder to flip/pry up.

Obviously I don't want to pry to hard and risk breaking it off.

Any tips really appreciated. Thanks.

Looking for advice on detaching the hard drive connector for the D430.

I downloaded the D430 service manual, but the pictures aren't very detailed.

For anyone who has changed hard drives, could you give advice on: "Use a hard drive tool to carefully pry up the ZIF connector that holds the hard drive cable, and remove the cable."

I've worked on a lot of Mac laptops over the years and I have always hated this type of ZIF connector, i.e., the little white bar that you have to "pry up" so that it's vertical to the hard drive, instead of horizontal, like when it's pushed back down to hold the ZIF connector.

As usual, it looks really fragile and could be easy to break off.

On Mac laptops in the past I've used my fingernail to flip up this type of connector, but this D430 one seems a bit stiffer and harder to flip/pry up.

Obviously I don't want to pry to hard and risk breaking it off.

Any tips really appreciated. Thanks.

Dell makes this tool used for prying up on the bar strip above the keyboard. Its plastic, and flat tip slotted (like a flat tip screwdriver) on one end, and pointy (like an ice pick) on the other end. I have two or three of them laying around. Use one of those, if you happen to have one. They're pliable enough that it should break before the ZIF connector does.

If you don't happen to have one of those laying around, I bet you could also get it accomplished with a butter knife, a flat tip screwdriver, or maybe even get your fingernails under there and pry up very carefully. (Fingernails might break before the ZIF connector too.)

From Dell's website:

NOTICE: ZIF connectors are fragile. To avoid breaking the connectors, touch them carefully. Do not apply too much pressure to the movable part of the connector when opening or closing it.

Some of the computer’s interface connectors are ZIF connectors. These connectors are not removable; they must be released to disconnect a cable from them.

To disconnect a cable from a ZIF connector, perform the following steps:

Insert a small flat-blade screwdriver or dental pick under the movable part of the connector.

For most ZIFs, carefully pry up one end of the movable part of the connector and then the other end. Some ZIFs may need to be lifted in the center.

Pull up gently on the movable part of the connector until the cable is released.

Grasp the cable and pull it out of the connector.

To reconnect an interface cable to a ZIF connector, perform the following steps:

Use the flat-blade screwdriver or dental pick to open the movable part of the ZIF connector.

Orient the end of the cable with the ZIF connector, and insert the end of the cable into the connector.

While holding the cable in place, close the ZIF connector.

To ensure a firm connection, make sure the ZIF connector is completely closed.

Dell makes this tool used for prying up on the bar strip above the keyboard. Its plastic, and flat tip slotted (like a flat tip screwdriver) on one end, and pointy (like an ice pick) on the other end. I have two or three of them laying around. Use one of those, if you happen to have one. They're pliable enough that it should break before the ZIF connector does.

If you don't happen to have one of those laying around, I bet you could also get it accomplished with a butter knife, a flat tip screwdriver, or maybe even get your fingernails under there and pry up very carefully. (Fingernails might break before the ZIF connector too.)

From Dell's website:

NOTICE: ZIF connectors are fragile. To avoid breaking the connectors, touch them carefully. Do not apply too much pressure to the movable part of the connector when opening or closing it.

Some of the computer’s interface connectors are ZIF connectors. These connectors are not removable; they must be released to disconnect a cable from them.

To disconnect a cable from a ZIF connector, perform the following steps:

Insert a small flat-blade screwdriver or dental pick under the movable part of the connector.

For most ZIFs, carefully pry up one end of the movable part of the connector and then the other end. Some ZIFs may need to be lifted in the center.

Pull up gently on the movable part of the connector until the cable is released.

Grasp the cable and pull it out of the connector.

To reconnect an interface cable to a ZIF connector, perform the following steps:

Use the flat-blade screwdriver or dental pick to open the movable part of the ZIF connector.

Orient the end of the cable with the ZIF connector, and insert the end of the cable into the connector.

While holding the cable in place, close the ZIF connector.

To ensure a firm connection, make sure the ZIF connector is completely closed.

Okay, thanks for the fast reply. Much appreciated.

So, with the hard drive out of the D430, I have it on my work desk. The flat cable that slides into the ZIF connector on the hard drive is held down by the flat white bar. That's the bar that has to pried up or flipped up gently, due to the fact it's fragile.

So, just to be clear: this white bar should be gently pried up from the side that's towards the top of the hard drive. And you can pry it up a bit first from one end, and then from the other. Or else if it's a bit stiff, try to pry in the middle. So far so good?

Key question: do you pry the side of the bar up so that the bar is vertical? In other words, it sort of pivots up so that it's vertical?

There are no "catches" to press or squeeze in so that the bar is able to flip up vertical? It's just a straight pry from the outer edge?

Thanks.

Okay, thanks for the fast reply. Much appreciated.

So, with the hard drive out of the D430, I have it on my work desk. The flat cable that slides into the ZIF connector on the hard drive is held down by the flat white bar. That's the bar that has to pried up or flipped up gently, due to the fact it's fragile.

So, just to be clear: this white bar should be gently pried up from the side that's towards the top of the hard drive. And you can pry it up a bit first from one end, and then from the other. Or else if it's a bit stiff, try to pry in the middle. So far so good?

Key question: do you pry the side of the bar up so that the bar is vertical? In other words, it sort of pivots up so that it's vertical?

There are no "catches" to press or squeeze in so that the bar is able to flip up vertical? It's just a straight pry from the outer edge?

Thanks.

It's a little harder than it looks.

That white bar does NOT want to move.

I was afraid of breaking it with a small flat-head screwdriver, so I used my fingernail and tried working it really slowly, but a small piece of the plastic broke off anyway. It's a small piece in one of the corners, so I'm hoping I'll still be able to install the HDD in an external box, looks like it'll be okay, as the HDD cable is still held tight on the Dell HDD.

So, what should I be doing right?

For the life of me I don't know where to pry or lift up on the bar. At first touch, it seems unnaturally stiff, as if it's not going to move anywhere. And my fears re. breaking the plastic were correct.

Can anyone say if you have to push the bar forward or backward first, before flipping it up? Man, I wish there was a VIDEO somewhere on the web!

It's a little harder than it looks.

That white bar does NOT want to move.

I was afraid of breaking it with a small flat-head screwdriver, so I used my fingernail and tried working it really slowly, but a small piece of the plastic broke off anyway. It's a small piece in one of the corners, so I'm hoping I'll still be able to install the HDD in an external box, looks like it'll be okay, as the HDD cable is still held tight on the Dell HDD.

So, what should I be doing right?

For the life of me I don't know where to pry or lift up on the bar. At first touch, it seems unnaturally stiff, as if it's not going to move anywhere. And my fears re. breaking the plastic were correct.

Can anyone say if you have to push the bar forward or backward first, before flipping it up? Man, I wish there was a VIDEO somewhere on the web!

My bad. I just found a foto on the web showing how to detach the HDD cable. The procedure was the OPPOSITE of what it looked like in the Dell manual!

The Dell manual has an arrow going from the outside of the drive INWARDS toward the hard drive. So when it says to pry up the ZIF connector, with the arrows going the OPPOSITE direction, it was easy to make a mistake. Also because my eyesight isn't what it used to be :-(

Anyway, if anyone else has this problem, you can use your fingernail and flip (no need to pry with a screwdriver, etc.) the edge of the BLACK STRIP behind the white plastic bar. It just releases a little bit and the HDD flat cable slides out easily.

Maybe I'm a bit tired, but that picture in the Dell manual makes it easy to make a mistake.