OS X 10.7 or 10.8 - Samsung 300E4A-S0ESA UEFI boot !

sniper9911

Hello Myhack Forum Members

I already asked a question during my introduction but was told by Conti (thanks) to write it under the best possible section so here it is again :

My question was : Why can't i install mac os x on a guid partitioned drive with UEFI support turned on in bios ??

but it seems that you can actually install mac os x ML to gpt disk with uefi laptops as i tried and succeeded but i failed in the bootloader phase

it seems that chameleon , chemira or whatever doesnt support booting from uefi enabled bios correctly on a gpt disk

my laptop always skips it and boot to windows boot loader instead

note : i managed to make chameleon boot from my usb disk mbr formatted and without a problem

anyway i cant make my system boot to os x ML by it self (i always need to plug in my usb flash)

So here comes my modified question :

Why I cannot boot Directly from My HDD With this combanation ( gpt + uefi ) ? and if it could well be what bootloader and how to do it ?

for your information this is my laptop specs

samsung 300E4A-S0ESA

UEFI Motherboard with intel hm65 chipset and Phoenix uefi bios version q07a ( latest OEM Official)

intel core i5-2450m

6gb ddr3 ram 1333mhz

intel hd 3000 + nvidia 520mx 1gb ddr3 (nvidia is not even appears to be functioning in ML but thats a story for another day )

hdmi out , vga out , 3usb 2.0

1TB GPT Samsung Hdd Partitioned into 8 partitions (incl. EFI) with triple boot system planned in mind (win 7 , win 8 , os x ML )

realtek 8111 ethernet

intel wirelesses n-130 (not working like nvidia or even recognized )

realtek alc-269 sound (work with the latest voodoohda but KP my system at boot )

elan ps2 mouse ( multitouch enabled but no multitouch under os x ML )

keyboard (sound functions work but brightness or any other function does not work )

usb logitech mouse

i used these kexts to boot my installation properly and evade any kernel panics (apple ps2 nub , ps2 controller , fake smc , voodoo battery , cpu null power management ) and kext cache in the e/e folder on my usb

OS X ML 10.8 app ( purchaced apple store version ) ==> usb bootable

For testing porpose only OS X install on a 80gb USB HDD guid partitioned into 2 parts : win7 , os x (disk1s1 as i cant boot from it so far )

i hope i can boot from it soon

help please

Nobody Encountered these problem ........ hmmm dont worry then ; I dumped the hole gpt + UEFI section cause it sucks actually

here is why : Samsung support to their software on the laptops is limited to their factory defaults Which are :

MBR partitioning scheme (even if my lappy came with 1TB HDD) + uefi disabled in bios by default

so i did my tryouts and finally got my system up and running while i can multiboot (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) through the windows 7 boot loader situated in the system reserved partition with an iso image of chameleon enoch v2064

currently installed windows 7 oem , lion 10.7.5 ( updated successfully ) , mountain lion 10.8 , and soon to be published windows 8 (Currently windows 8 cp)

to Summerize : My system is now booting on MBR Basic partition , default bios + AHCI enabled

right now these are what i have noticed :

1. i am still having problems during the first mac os x boot after a windows 7 session (lion or mountain lion )

It really bothers me !!! its getting annoying too

i already tried verbose mode and it seems to stuck or hang after loading every thing and when its ready to go to the logon screen it gets stuck so its not a kernel panic

it has something to do with either of AGPM kext or the ntfs drive scan feature in mac os x (these are the last things to be loaded before entering the logon screen )

here is the picture after loading windows :(first mac os boot)

post-1492-13826558079221_thumb.jpg

Here after the crash : (Second Boot)==> success and login into mac os x

post-1492-13826558079999_thumb.jpg

and if i load windows afterwards (third boot) (no matter if i shutdown or restart ; same result ) Nvidia graphic card (520mx 1gb ddr3) is missing from windows !! and no sign for it unless i do a restart to windows (Forth boot)

this cycle is stable now so i should get a fix for it (btw: chameleon's graphic enabler =yes OR no gives same result sometimes !!)

2. my wireless card ( intel wireless n-130 ) is it going to work or not ( if not i could consider replacing it next year after 1 year of warranty passes ) but i need your thoughts about it :)

here is a list of the id's and pid's for my system:

post-1492-13826558081009_thumb.jpg

3. You can say that i have 50% of a Mac Book Pro ....... Yay but looking forward to complete this build

things that do work :

ram is ok , hdd partitions are ok (except the above boot mensioned problem ,,,, soon to be fixed) , intel hd3000 full qe/ci is ok with 384 mb of ram only (i wish if it had more...... like 512mb for example ,,,,,,, Is it possible ?? ) , camera is working too but i think it performs on a lower quality than windows (needs little tweaks but i dont know how so far ,,,, i might try isight uvc kext edit ) , keyboard and mouse ps2 both work basically ( multitouch function and most of the function combanations on my keyboard do not work ) , dvd drive is ok , Update is ok too (10.7.5 and 10.8.2 confirmed working well so far) , restart and shut down are ok no problems (after second boot) , usb is ok too 3 ports are functioning well

things that do not work :

ethernet ; i.e. realtek 81168 (i think i need a kext cause when i installed lion from uni****** it runs well) , bluetooth (intel v3.0HS) is there but not working ( although when i open system report i see it recognized ) , nvidia 520mx (oh my nvidia detected at boot unidentified ,,,,, i can swear that when i first did my mac os x lion install usb (using ###### 1.4 sorry but i had to mension it ) it was detected and viewed in mac os system report besides my intel ,,,,,,,, hmmm maybe i will install 10.7 again that way to make absolutely sure ) , sleep mode (cannot recover from it) , sound card (realtek alc269 works with voodoo 2.7.2 but KP on restart) , clock time also ( fixed ok now ) , wireless card (so far not supported) , SD card (ALCOR Micro Flash Card Reader/Writer ) slot also not working

and other things that i dont remember but i will add when i figure it out ....

If any one can help me i will appreciate it ....

sniper9911

I don't have time to read the entire novel you just wrote lol, but I will come back to it later.

For now I can say that GPT is supported, UEFI is not, because of chameleon. Chameleon is a boot-132 based bootloader, not an EFI bootloader. Though there are some EFI bootloaders for osx out there they are all still in their alpha phase of development and take a bit more know how to achieve functional installs with so I would not suggest them to the novice nor would I suggest them to anyone with a system that requires more 'hacking/modifications' to get functioning correctly, like most notebooks.

That crash you get on OSX boot (in the first picture) is due to the ApplePolicyControl.kext - Run the "Remove Problematic Extensions" function in myHack and it will remove the extension and solve that problem.

Might help with the rest too, it may somehow corrupt the initialization of the nvidia graphics until the next cold boot.

For your ethernet try placing the RealtekR1000SL.kext in /Extra/Extensions and then run myfix. I will attach the file to this post. If that does not work let me know and I will give you another one to try (the other one will probably work but it is of poor quality compared to this one so it should only be used as a last resort).

RealtekR1000SL.kext.zip

I'm not sure about the wireless either, you will have to look that up.

Do what I've suggested so far above and then report back before myself or others post any more details, I should be able to help you with your power management as well, it may be as simple as using a patched kext as I did on my own sandy bridge notebook and ivy bridge desktop but it may also require some dsdt work. Audio will require you use a patched AppleHDA.kext + DSDT modification *OR* voodoohda as you have already, just keep in mind - to use voodoohda you must remove AppleHDA.kext from /System/Library/Extensions/ otherwise it will cause panics.

I don't have time to read the entire novel you just wrote lol, but I will come back to it later.

For now I can say that GPT is supported, UEFI is not, because of chameleon. Chameleon is a boot-132 based bootloader, not an EFI bootloader. Though there are some EFI bootloaders for osx out there they are all still in their alpha phase of development and take a bit more know how to achieve functional installs with so I would not suggest them to the novice nor would I suggest them to anyone with a system that requires more 'hacking/modifications' to get functioning correctly, like most notebooks.

finally someone replied to my topic !! thanks Conti

now regarding gpt it didn't work on my system when I mixed it with normal bios and for unknown reason my system couldn't boot from efi marked active partition and with chameleon on mbr sector

the only way that worked was clover bootloader which I got involved with slice , apianti , damazar and the rest of the team @project osx

clover efi got my system boot from gpt with uefi enabled by placing files in the efi partition only and that was a really fast bootloader

anyway I already told you that I dumped this way so no more going back to it afterwards unless samsung fixes their support for my lappy after windows 8 update or else

That crash you get on OSX boot (in the first picture) is due to the ApplePolicyControl.kext - Run the "Remove Problematic Extensions" function in myHack and it will remove the extension and solve that problem.

Might help with the rest too, it may somehow corrupt the initialization of the nvidia graphics until the next cold boot.

thanks conti I will try to remove the problematic kext and fix/repair permissions today

I am really sorry for not using myhack to install my osx but hey I've got learned a lot these last two months so no hard feeling ....

you know I've been searching for a solution for my boot problem for two weekes and nobody really answered me correctly so far

For your ethernet try placing the RealtekR1000SL.kext in /Extra/Extensions and then run myfix. I will attach the file to this post. If that does not work let me know and I will give you another one to try (the other one will probably work but it is of poor quality compared to this one so it should only be used as a last resort).

thanks for the kext I will try it today

I'm not sure about the wireless either, you will have to look that up.

Do what I've suggested so far above and then report back before myself or others post any more details, I should be able to help you with your power management as well, it may be as simple as using a patched kext as I did on my own sandy bridge notebook and ivy bridge desktop but it may also require some dsdt work. Audio will require you use a patched AppleHDA.kext + DSDT modification *OR* voodoohda as you have already, just keep in mind - to use voodoohda you must remove AppleHDA.kext from /System/Library/Extensions/ otherwise it will cause panics.

okay I am still looking for any sign to operate my poor wireless card

I will appreciate your help to complete my build

I would like to know which kexts are able to be installed into the chameleon boot cd and which ones should be in s/l/e cause I am thinking of keeping my system as vanilla as possible

ok so far as I am going I coudnt make that kext for realtek work with my ethernet (I tried it in my chameleon image and I tried it also with .mkext cache so far )

its exhausting to build chameleon boot cd everytime I need to modify something but okay

I also tried to remove some of my hdds out of chameleon boot loader screen but no success so far

I didn't mension it also : I have 5 kexts for booting my system so far and they are : appleps2nub , ps2controller , fakesmc (might be v4.1 but I'm not sure ) , voodoo battrey for my battrey ( and it only worked for making the battrey icon appear but not functioning or reading the stats at all ) and ofcorse. the old nullcpupowermanagment kext .