D430 - best Snow Leopard / Win 7 dual boot method

moonman

I am about to set up a D430 with Snow Leopard and I would also like to install Windows 7. I've read the guide for the dual boot setup, which assumes you already have Snow Leo installed.

Would it be possible / better to format the hard disk in 2 partitions and install Windows 7 directly onto its own partition?

I have a 120GB hard drive, so space is not a problem.

look at the wiki, there is a guide for it :)

Thanks. The wiki seems to describe how to install Windows 7 only after you've already got OSX installed on your Latitude.

As I have to partition my hard disk anyway, I was asking if it's better or easier to format the HD into 2 partitions and install OSX and Win7 separately on their own partitions.

• Administrators

there is none, since you need to have a GUID partition in order to install osx.. (it wont install without) .. presently.. your part. is MBR.. thats why you need to do it as on the wiki

I have tried following the wiki but every time I run gptsync command I get the "Data write failed at position 0:" error. I saw a post about umounting the windows partition but I don't have a windows partition to umount yet. Any ideas?

• Administrators

with my hack installer method it allows to install osx to mbr formatted hdd.... i have tried it and it works great. once you select the partition in installer then there you format your osx to journaled hfs but next time maybe i will install windows first. make 2 partitions one for windows one for osx then install osx and then chameleon bootmd0. on mine i installed osx first. then windows.

I'm not sure I understand what bootmd0 is. I did use the myhack installer method and installed SL first. I then created a fat32 partition and installed xp onto that and it shows up in chameleon, I just can't get it to boot. Is there a simple way to get it to boot up?