Not sure what's wrong

Barry

So, I'm completely new to trying to run OS X on a PC. I just started researching it a few weeks ago. From what I've read the only piece of hardware that doesn't seem to check out is the Broadcom WiFi card, but I think I have a solution for that.

Here's the hardware that I know I have (off the top of my head):

Dell Latitude D620 BIOS Revision A10

Intel Core 2 Duo 2GHz T7200

4Gb RAM

80Gb HDD 5400RPM (Also have a 7200RPM 500GB Seagate HDD, but I want to be certain of what I'm doing first)

Mobile Intel 945 Express Chipset Family (From what I've read it has the GMA 950 as its core, correct me if I'm wrong)

Here's the software that I've gathered:

iboot (chameleon, stolen and rebranded)

A 10.6 .dmg file (Rather useless I imagine)

Snow Leopard Retail DVD

D620SLV1.iso

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit right now, but can easily format it to 64-bit, Ubuntu 10.10, or OpenSUSE 11.4 as I have all of those readily available to me.

Darwin/X86 boot v5.0.132 - Chameleon v2.0-RC3 r658

Build date: 2009-09-06 14:04:42

3318MB memory

I've followed Leon's guide to the best of my knowledge. I can boot up the D620SLV cd (I get text in the top left corner that says, "Darwin/X86 boot v5.0.132 - Chameleon v2.0-RC3 r658 Build date: 2009-09-06 14:04:42 3318MB memory."

I have taken the disk out and placed the Mac OS X Retail DVD in the disk drive. I wait for it to wind down and then I hit F5. It recognizes that there is a Mac OS X Retail DVD, but when I select the icon and hit enter it gives me a string of text in the top left corner saying "efi_inject_get_devprop_string NULL trying stringdata." This is then quickly followed by a greyish background with a series of words and letters (I'm guessing computer data that I don't understand)and a sign in the foreground that says "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button for several seconds or press the Restart Button." Below this is the same text in 3 different languages.

My apologies if I'm giving too much information, but I was curious if this has to do with my current BIOS settings (they are set to default), the fact I have Windows 7 currently on the machine (tried on a blank hard drive and had the same issues though), or something about my hardware/software? If you need more information or have any sort of suggestions for me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Goto the wiki, there is everything you need along with howto guides.. D620 works perfectly.. just follow the guide.. step-by-step...

Thank you for replying. I should have updated this post, but I ended up using my girlfriend's Macbook to create a pen. I just swapped out my Intel 3945ABG card with a Dell 1490 card and internet is running on both partitions. I've set it up to run both Snow Leopard and Windows 7. Everything seems to be working fine. I'm just trying to do some performance tweaks like rebranding the Broadcom card at this point. I'd like to get Linux (Ubuntu) installed inside of Windows 7 and also figure out a way to increase my VRAM from 64MB on Mac so I can use certain higher end programs. If either of those are possible please let me know. I've been doing research and haven't found anything on how to do the latter short of buying new hardware. Hope this makes sense, I'm up late doing work.

what kinda of programs is it you need to run ?

I was going to try and run Final Cut Studio, but Final Cut Pro requires 128MB of VRAM. I also wanted to install Logic Pro Studio 9 and CS5.5 Master Collection, but I don't have either yet and don't know what amount of VRAM it requires. Everything else is perfect though including Ableton Suite.