Stuck on 1st boot

Tiberiu Dubau

Hey folks,

A quick question here: I just upgraded my video card to a GTX660Ti, and tried installing OSX again; so far so good, this card got me the furthest still (with Conti's MyHack), but I still got an issue - install went smooth, but after the first boot, it hangs on a grey screen (no mouse, no spinning wheel of death, no menu, nothing, just greyness).

What should I try? Any thoughts?

Many thanks,

Tibi Dubau

Hey folks,

A quick question here: I just upgraded my video card to a GTX660Ti, and tried installing OSX again; so far so good, this card got me the furthest still (with Conti's MyHack), but I still got an issue - install went smooth, but after the first boot, it hangs on a grey screen (no mouse, no spinning wheel of death, no menu, nothing, just greyness).

What should I try? Any thoughts?

Many thanks,

Tibi Dubau

After a few more forum posts read, I found the solution: booting with GraphicsEnabler set to No solves the problem (and I belive this to be the solution for every GTX6xx out there).

However, I can't seem to log in to iCloud no matter what I try; I get the message "Unable to sign in because of a problem communicating with iCloud. Try signing in again." The same with the AppStore (an unknown error has occurred).

My wi-fi is a DLink DWA 556, and I belive it is seen as an Airport Extreme when I check the WiFi tab in SysInfo. When I check the Network in SysPrefs I only see Bluetooth PAN (connected) and FireWire.

Any thoughts on this?

Thank you!

T.

Progress report: I managed to install my wired NIC's and they are both seen as en1 and en2; on top of that, I managed to install my WiFi properly, and now I see it as good old fashioned AirPort Extreme, although it is en0 in SysInfo - but alas, no joy, no iCloud and no AppStore...

I even added a SystemId to my Boot.plist with some UUID generated online, a long shot, but I was hoping for the best — no joy either...

I read somewhere that's not good, and for iCloud and other to work, my wired NIC's must be first (en0 and en1), is that true? Can anyone confirm this?

Pleas list your full specs...

Motherboard: Gigabyte EX58-UD5

CPU: Intel i7-920

Ram: 6Gb Corsair something or other

Graphic Card: MSI GTX660Ti 2Gb

Network Card: 2 x Realtek 8111D (motherboard) and 1 DLink DWA 556 Extreme N Pci Express Adapter (Edimax EW-7711USn USB wireless card as a backup)

Add On Cards: some USB DeLock Bluetooth v3 thingy - works out of the box, everytime

DVD Drive: I don't remember, some generic SATA drive, that's for sure

Power Supply: I don't remember, some 850W power supply

Case: Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower

Mouse and Keyboard: wired Apple keyboard with numeric pad and Apple Mighty Mouse

If there is something else important that I missed to put up in my specs, please let me know

Hey folks, a quick update for you: I abandoned tinkering around kexts and stuff trying to get iCloud and AppStore and FaceTime and iMessage to work and I did a fresh install, this time without the DLink card inserted. Conti's myHack installed flawlessly, as expected, ran MyHack to set everything up, than I ran something to set up my wired network (from he-who-shall-not-be-named ;)), I set EthernetBuiltIn to Yes, and everything worked.

Afterwards, I inserted the DLink, I ran something else from the same guy to get the kexts for wireless, and after a few reboots, here we are - a working 10.8 ML purring nicely in front of me.

So to sum up, what we've learned so far:

- prior to setup, listen to what Conti's saying: take everything out of the computer, except the bare essentials.

- boot with GraphicsEnabler=No if you have a GTX660Ti like me, and ML will install.

- Lnx2Mac Realteck81xx will setup your network cards from the motherboard

- add EthernetBuiltIn to your org.chameleon.Boot.plist

- reboot and set everything up

- maolj's AtherosL1cEthernet will install the kexts for the DLink Wireless Card

- restart restart restart :)

So that's about all there was to it, basically. There still is the problem of having to boot twice to see the Wireless (after first boot, the card is not seen either in ML, nor Win7/Win8, but after a reboot it magically appears again - strange), but that is something for another day.

Thank you everybody,

Tiberiu Dubău