lesserspottedpotoroo

lesserspottedpotoroo

-Where you are from/where you live.

(occasionally) sunny Melbourne, Australia

-How long you have used a hackint0sh (if this is your first time, state that you are new to this).

I have been lurking on hackint0sh forums for a number of months but I have only just made my first attempt at a hackint0sh (see below)

-A brief summary of your experiences in hackint0shing (if any).

Got a Lenovo Thinkpad T400s running in its *most* basic form (no ethernet, wifi, sound, nipple/pointer, etc...) last week just using myHack but would love to get it working fully.

-What triggered your interest in hackint0sh.

Really dig OS X (especially when you consider the clever combination of Mach, BSD and I/O Kit) but loathe the MacBook keyboards with a fierceness. Utilitarian Thinkpads, with their first-rate keys (for a laptop) and all-round sturdiness seem a perfect target for hackint0sh-ing. Besides all that, I need a fun technical challenge as my IT job mostly involves business discussions these days.

-Your general computer skill level.

I currently spend most of my time on as a desktop jockey but I got into computers back when 6502 assembler coding was l33t (happy, happy times), so I still retain a fascination (and appreciation) for what's going on 'under the hood'. I pick up technical things pretty swiftly.

-List any technical experience you have in various operating systems and programming languages (if any).

Faded Solaris/Linux geek. Former Perl hacker (a looong time ago). Rusty Java - dating from when JSPs were new and viewed as 'way cool' and Jedit sucked the doors off Eclipse IDE! Mostly work with data integration packages (IBM Information Server) nowadays and make the occasional Processing-based foray into the world of Arduino (when my two-year-old permits).

-If you have any talents/skills that you would like to offer to help the community (optional).

I used to be a business journalist so if there are any areas of the site that could do with review for clarity's sake, I'm more than happy to lend an editor-trained eye.

Technically, I probably don't have much to contribute beyond my enthusiasm and a promise to feed what I learn back into this forum.