Mountain Lion won't install

lerenoamp

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys, Beta's advice was spot on and I was able to install Mountain Lion. I am very excited! :D

However, I now have new problems :

Will only boot if I type npci=0x2000 cpus=1

I think this means it is using only one core?

It is not recognising ethernet or usb-wifi dongles. I will go look at the forums for the answers.

Thanks again guys!

Hi Beta

I have had partial success, will explain more in a minute but first of all, regarding the BIOS:

It is BIOS version 2.10 - it was only after running software to get the DSDT and IOREG information that I noticed that there is actually a newer version of the BIOS available for Windows 8 users. (the date is in American format so it looked like there hadn't been an update since July).

I don't think that is an issue. The BIOS is downloadable here: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X79%20Ex ... ad&os=BIOS

I can't attach the DSDT because the aml extension is not allowed.

I can't attach the IOREG as the file is too large..

Now, I found a DSDT that had been written especially for my motherboard - not sure which BIOS version, and a different i7 Processor, the 3930k

I used multifail to install and can report the following:

My Ethernet is now working, my USB3 is enabled.

However, I STILL have to type npci=0x2000 and cpus=1 at boot so I am still working with one core only. I don't know why this is.

My Graphics Card is not in the DSDT

Best Regards

lerenoamp

I forgot to mention, also I have no internet.

I have ethernet, but my wifi is not recognised.

The details of my Belkin Wireless N dongle appear in the USB HUB when it is connected, my TPLINK WIreless N does not.

I do not know why the are not recognised as WiFi transceivers.

I have a 'new' problem, a new GPU arrived, not the one I order either but as it costs more than £100 more than the one I ordered I decided I wouldn't complain about it.

An MSI GeForce GTX 660 OC

It looks to be supported, but now I can't log into my existing install, and I can't do a fresh Myhack install using the previously working command line of npci=0x2000 cpus=1

Looks to be hanging on the line [PCI Configuration Begin]

I think the workaround would be to put back the 9400GT, boot into Mountain Lion, then add the GTX information from within Mountain Lion.

Still, that won't fix my other issues, so stuck again.

I can't help much with the X79 issues as I have no personal experience with that platform but I did notice something I'd like to point out here... Just to clarify cpus=1 does not limit you to a single core, it limits you to a single cpu socket. The kernel is designed to support multiple processor systems (think mac pro dual cpu xeons) and that causes acpi problems on some systems when the kernel expect to find a second cpu socket but doesn't. All of your cores are still available, you are only telling chameleon to limit OS X to using a single cpu with multiple cores.

The hang on PCI Configuration Begin is typically due to unsupported graphics, or improperly initialized graphics in ML.

Use zip compression on your dsdt and ioreg and it should be able to be uploaded here.

Thanks for explaining Conti, that helps.

I've researched the GPU, definitely not the one I had ordered, it uses GK106. If only they'd sent the 'Ti' version, the GPU in that is the GK104 and works 'out of the box' with Macintosh.

I will probably sell it on to buy another card, but have learned that there is a driver update for 10.8.2 that has been released by nVidia. Here is the link of other Myhack users if they need it:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-304 ... river.html

People are reporting back that the non-Ti GTX 660 is working on Mac so I will see how I fare with this update.

In the meantime I've switched back to my GT9400 and have made some progress - or at least have experienced a different set of problems! :?

Using the system definitions for Mac Pro (3,1) I can get my software to boot directly without having to enter any command line.

However, once logged in the mouse is hugely unresponsive. Every so often I get a burst of normal response but most of the time the pointer moves only in fits and starts and the screen refresh rate is slow. The keyboard suffers also. This makes it very hard to install kexts that may fix the issue.

I will continue in my efforts.

From my personal experience, this flag works in [most] cases. I call it the golden flag:

busratio = 20 cpus=1 -v -f -x

Make sure you press F8 at boot and use the bootloader EmpireEFI.

The -f flag for me fixes my frozen desktop.

The -v flag boots into verbose mode, so you can easily diagnose kernel panics

The -x flag boots into single user/safe mode.

Let me now if the flag works and Good Luck!