Sign in to follow this  
Lord Kamina

Stupidly hopeful question re: GPU.

So as I have spammed and spewed all over the internet, I have been consistently sucking at choosing my hardware (somehow managing to get hardware that works except FOR THAT ONE VERSION _I_ GOT) and there's something that just sort of occurred to me regarding my 5570...

Is there any way to actually modify how the cad connects to its ports? Can the encoder/transmitter be modified in the card's BIOS or something like that? Or are all those things inherent to the physical connections on it? Would it, for example, be possible to flash one GPU with the BIOS for the same GPU but by another manufacturer? Would that change anything, would it be the same?

You need to modify the Framebuffer and not the card BIOS.

I know. I'm asking beyond the Framebuffer. I have tried already every conceivable combination of modifications to my frame-buffer and HDMI audio just will not work (everything else is perfect).

See my reply to this issue here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=601&p=1995#p1995

I have seen this happen many times to people with XFX cards over the years, I have rarely seen it solved if you are one of the unlucky ones with one of the GPU's that just won't work.

Yeah, that kind of sucks... :/

And I actually did a research before buying my current motherboard and GPU (but I never thought Asus ALC887 specifically and XFX 5570 had issues...) I guess I know better for next time, assuming next time I won't have enough to say "Screw this, I'll just get a Macbook Pro."

Anyway, you know what makes it worse? That if I'd waited a month, I would have gotten the MSI 5770 for the same price I paid, that's the problem with buying "old-ish" hardware.

I personally always suggest gigabyte mainboard and msi gpu, i have had almost universal success with them.

My last straw with ASUS came with an 8600GT that caught fire while my computer was idle in the middle of the night, and nearly burned my apartment down. Then they refused to even replace the component - gigabyte replaced the mainboard in that system despite knowing that the GPU was at fault... So I will forever be loyal to gigabyte, and ironically they have consistently produced the best hackintosh-able boards.

Perhaps you can find some winblows gamer who will be willing to buy that from you - say 'barely used, perfect condition, only selling because it's not compatible with OS X'. I'm sure someone will buy it.

I personally always suggest gigabyte mainboard and msi gpu, i have had almost universal success with them.

My last straw with ASUS came with an 8600GT that caught fire while my computer was idle in the middle of the night, and nearly burned my apartment down. Then they refused to even replace the component - gigabyte replaced the mainboard in that system despite knowing that the GPU was at fault... So I will forever be loyal to gigabyte, and ironically they have consistently produced the best hackintosh-able boards.

Perhaps you can find some winblows gamer who will be willing to buy that from you - say 'barely used, perfect condition, only selling because it's not compatible with OS X'. I'm sure someone will buy it.

Yeah but I'm stuck with the local supply here in Chile. I could have always ordered something from overseas I guess, but it would have taken too long to get here.

Post a IOreg. Let me make sure the DSDT edit is there...

There is at least one on my topic in the "Post-Installation" forum. That one's probably with VoodooHDA but I'm sure I've got a few with AppleHDA also. In either case the kexts detects and attaches to the card but there's no sound.