My top 5 Dont'ts when building an Hackintosh

UnixKing

Hello All! i compiled a list of my top 5 don'ts when building a hackintosh. I will add to this post as my knowledge widens

Dont's

1. NEVER EVER randomly install a kext that you do know anything about. This could be an audio, video, Ethernet, or graphics Kext. Always look for user feedback or build a backup machine

2. NEVER update your mac to a system update(for example 10.8.3) provided from Apple until the hackintosh developers give you the all clear. System updatesmay cause kernel panics and you might have to reformat your drive. You will loose all data unless you created a back up

3. Do NOT install random bootloaders unless you absolutely have to. Different bootloaders come with different flags which may lead to an unbootable system

4. Do NOT use a hacked distribution of OSX from tormenting websites. You are bound to run into errors of all sorts such as the "unknown error" error when signing into the app store or icloud or you may experience graphical glitches with your gfx card

5. Try not to experiment with your system files unless you know what you are doing. For example, adding flags to your bootloader or editing a plis file.

• Like 3

Good common sense tips. I'd say with #5 though you should first test the flags by entering them manually at the chameleon boot prompt, if they work as expected, then you may add them to the chameleon boot plist.

I would also add #6 Avoid software which installs kexts or chameleon for you, very few of these have undergone the testing that myHack/myFix has undergone and if you are using myHack some of these applications will break some of the significant benefits that things like myFix have to offer. Manual installation or myHack/myFix methods are the only methods that I personally endorse as they are the only methods that I know inside and out and have good documentation and support available.

yeah, agreed, using flags at prompt won't make permament system changes. And for #6, that happened to me a couple of times. Installing a boot loader won't overwrite the existing one. i was forced to reinstall but didn't loose any system files. Thank You for your feedback!