D630 intel installation problem (take 2)

Glougloumouth

So I got a replacement for my failed D630, A17 BIOS, 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo, X3100 graphic card, 1440x900 display.

I still have issues to install.

So far, I followed the install guide:

1- Use an 8GB USB pen, GUID partition table, restored the OS X 10.6.0 DVD on the Pen, installed Chameleon then copied the Extra.zip content on the Pen Drive and extracted it (gives an Extra folder with content).

2- Boot from the pen drive.

I never reach the GUI installer. I boot with the -v option to see what happens, and I pretty much stay stuck after the network driver loads. System sits idle, I can never see the installer, no switch to GUI.

I took my HD out of the Dell and plugged it onto a Mac (USB enclosure). I installed OS X 10.6.0 on the external USB drive. Then I installed Chameleon, then the EDP 1.8 package. Did run option 6 (D630 intel). The drive is good on my Mac. Take the drive back to the D630. Boot, get Chameleon's boot menu. Start with -v option. I see the boot sequence running fine, then it switches to GUI, I see a grey screen for about 1-2 seconds. Then the screen turns black and I will never see anything again. The OS appears to be working fine, I just have a black screen. If I plug an external monitor, it is recognized and added as an extended display, image is OK. I just never have video on the internal LCD.

Any comment / help welcome.

Anyone with a working D630 intel willing to share their boot files and working Extensions.mkext would be welcome.

Thank you for the tips.

Memory is good, testing revealed no error. Reset BIOS to system defaults.

When booting the OS X Install pendrive this morning (new drive, built last night), the screen still turns black.

Manually adding boot options: -x -v Graphics Mode=1024x768x32 allowed the installer to go through. So this time I can install from the Dell. I never though I could be so happy to see an installer screen :-)

Once install completes, I expect to face the same "black screen" issues, I'll test all suggestions and will report my findings.

Update 1: Initial boot ends with a kernel panic. I had to change in the BIOS the OnBoard Devices / SATA Operations from ATA to AHCI to fix this.

Then it boots straight into a black screen... I can try safe mode, force the Graphics Mode to 1024x768x32, no go. Black screen...

pciroot=1 gives the same result.

So far to get a screen I need to force arch=x86_64 and boot in 64-bit kernel, then it defaults to 1024x768 (it has no kexts for it) and I need an external USB keyboad & mouse, as very few drivers are OK for the D630 in 64-bit mode.

Looks like my X3100 is not taking properly either the x3100 kext or its parameters...

Update 2: Installation Pendrive will give me graphics with only the -x flag. Safe mode leads to not loading the X3100 drivers and it works. I still have to understand why it fails once the system is installed in 32-bits mode (as I can boot in safe mode in x64). My D630 is one of the early generation, without the finger scan between the two trackpad buttons. Would that be a reason for all my troubles (early hardware revision)?

Thanks.

Thank you for the tips.

Memory is good, testing revealed no error. Reset BIOS to system defaults.

When booting the OS X Install pendrive this morning (new drive, built last night), the screen still turns black.

Manually adding boot options: -x -v Graphics Mode=1024x768x32 allowed the installer to go through. So this time I can install from the Dell. I never though I could be so happy to see an installer screen :-)

Once install completes, I expect to face the same "black screen" issues, I'll test all suggestions and will report my findings.

Update 1: Initial boot ends with a kernel panic. I had to change in the BIOS the OnBoard Devices / SATA Operations from ATA to AHCI to fix this.

Then it boots straight into a black screen... I can try safe mode, force the Graphics Mode to 1024x768x32, no go. Black screen...

pciroot=1 gives the same result.

So far to get a screen I need to force arch=x86_64 and boot in 64-bit kernel, then it defaults to 1024x768 (it has no kexts for it) and I need an external USB keyboad & mouse, as very few drivers are OK for the D630 in 64-bit mode.

Looks like my X3100 is not taking properly either the x3100 kext or its parameters...

Update 2: Installation Pendrive will give me graphics with only the -x flag. Safe mode leads to not loading the X3100 drivers and it works. I still have to understand why it fails once the system is installed in 32-bits mode (as I can boot in safe mode in x64). My D630 is one of the early generation, without the finger scan between the two trackpad buttons. Would that be a reason for all my troubles (early hardware revision)?

Thanks.

I have the D630 with Intel Graphics and no finger scan trackpad too. I updated to the latest BIOS (A17) set to default except for SATA = AHCI (initially I turned the two performance settings off the CPU because I was worried about Speed Step), then followed the USB Pen instructions using a 10.6.0 image (I was skeptical about 10.6.3). I used options -v -x -f to boot up for the install and that worked.

Some kernel panics for AppleCPUPower and IOATAFamily.kext resulted in me using another MAC and a USB interface with my SATA hard drive to delete these.

I suggest finding posts here from Thund3rbolt and downloading his /Extra files for the D630. There's something unique with the D630 Intel Graphics.

Right now I have functionality of everything but wifi (a known issue) and DVD. After all the above tweaks I put IOATAFamily.kext back in (a special one for the D630 - make sure you search) and I no longer get the kernel panic but it croaks trying to read the disks. I wonder if there's a conflict with the audio driver because in one test the DVD played but audio was dead (for the whole system, not just DVD player).

Hope this helps.

Man, you simply need a proper DSDT for your screen. I have one for 1440x900, for your screen! This is a modified EDP 1.8 DSDT to work with 1440x900 screens with X3100 on D630. Simple as that. Here's the link to the dsdt itself http://cl.ly/0Q0r2h1V1E092G1C1U2y. I will setup a custom Preboot image for you to use and install OS X properly. ;) Try it and report your success/fail story. Forgot to mention you need A17 BIOS for this DSDT to work.

EDIT: OK, I created a BootCD.iso for you. LINK If you want to use this to prepare your Bootflash with Snow Leopard just copy the Extra folder from the BootCD.iso to the / of your SL installation flash drive. Install Chameleon on the flash drive, you should be able to successfully boot your installation flash in 1440x900 resolution with mouse and keyboard drivers working. Good Luck!

Man, you simply need a proper DSDT for your screen. I have one for 1440x900, for your screen!

Forgot to mention you need A17 BIOS for this DSDT to work.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Same Hardware, same problem, fixed by installing your DSDT over EDP 1.9 (Not the preboot image, just the dsdt.aml - installed via -x in 1024x768, ran EDP, ran Lizard, pointed to DSDT, works like a charme)

BTW: A07 BIOS here, I was just lazy and tried before flashing, works flawlessly.

Best regards, Leo

This is a modified EDP 1.8 DSDT to work with 1440x900 screens with X3100 on D630.

Should I be worried by the fact, that your DSDT is based on the EDP 1.8 version? Or is there an analogous version based on the 1.9? From the changelogs I get, there have been substantial changes to the DSDT!

Best regards, Leo

So I got a replacement for my failed D630, A17 BIOS, 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo, X3100 graphic card, 1440x900 display.I still have issues to install.So far, I followed the install guide:1- Use an 8GB USB pen, GUID partition table, restored the OS X 10.6.0 DVD on the Pen, installed Chameleon then copied the Extra.zip content on the Pen Drive and extracted it (gives an Extra folder with content).2- Boot from the pen drive.I never reach the GUI installer. I boot with the -v option to see what happens, and I pretty much stay stuck after the network driver loads. System sits idle, I can never see the installer, no switch to GUI.I took my HD out of the Dell and plugged it onto a Mac (USB enclosure). I installed OS X 10.6.0 on the external USB drive. Then I installed Chameleon, then the EDP 1.8 package. Did run option 6 (D630 intel). The drive is good on my Mac. Take the drive back to the D630. Boot, get Chameleon's boot menu. Start with -v option. I see the boot sequence running fine, then it switches to GUI, I see a grey screen for about 1-2 seconds. Then the screen turns black and I will never see anything again. The OS appears to be working fine, I just have a black screen. If I plug an external monitor, it is recognized and added as an extended display, image is OK. I just never have video on the internal LCD.Any comment / help welcome.Anyone with a working D630 intel willing to share their boot files and working Extensions.mkext would be welcome.
Hi guys. I have the same problem with black screen. If I use simeonoff's dsdt.aml then video works but audio doesn't. I take dsdt.aml from linux and audio works but video doesn't. How it fix?

DSDT_audio_work.aml.zip

DSDT_video_work.aml.zip