create usb image using windows?

jbell

thanks for helping the comunity out! :D

glad to help.... I've been around a bunch of os... just not osx, so thanks for being patient with me.

Yes osx is installing as I type. One thing I did notice, the very last block didn't write, as my kingston 8gig was a block short of having enough space. I'm about 99% sure that's not an issue, but if anyone else runs into this with DD -- it doesn't appear to be a big deal.

Lets see how it goes..

I don't think this is related to my windows creation of the usb disk... but I thought I'd ask. When I run through a complete install, it finishes, reboots and goes to a flashing cursor (like it doesn't have a active partition to boot to) If I rerun the install, in disk manager I see my 'only' partition that I'm creating is Disk0s2 (partition2) which is where I'm sure my problem is.

No matter what I do in the partitioning utility, it creates a single partition as 2, not 1, and has about 5 gig in blue.

Since I'm osx illiterate... what simple thing am I missing to get my install partition to be partition1, not 2???

• Administrators

Select to boot from usb, Then in the chamelleon boot menu select ur HD, once you are in osx do this:

1. Install edp + boootloader

2. Install all updates

3. Reboot

Select to boot from usb, Then in the chamelleon boot menu select ur HD, once you are in osx do this:

1. Install edp + boootloader

2. Install all updates

3. Reboot

you guys rock -- sent from safari on my d430-osx

btw, in your edp driver options -- I have a single core d430.

I had to choose the dual core d420/d430 to get my ethernet connected.

After reading it, it kinda made sense, but I missed it first time.

Dual Core D420 / Single or Dual Core D430 would have prevented me from missing it.

thanks again.

your welcome, and thanks for the tip!

a couple off topic questions, didn't know if I should create another thread or not, so putting it here.

1. what is the 'best' wireless card for a d430? There are several, and I have to purchase (ebay) so I want best. bcm4322?

2. 10.6.7 and video. I saw another thread with something goofy with 10.6.7 and I thought I'd share what I know. I have install with new mac mini's running through Kramer vp728 switches. 10.6.3 works perfectly fine, 10.6.7 hdmi video through kramer starts, then blacks out. Another post on apple's site shows the same thing. "something" video changed in 10.6.7 -- just not sure what. Not sure if this is related to any other video issues with 10.6.7 that folks may see -- just beware, something with auto-detect changed.

3. Is there an easy way to update from 10.6.0 to 10.6.3, and not go up to 10.6.7? I do have a retail 10.6.3 dvd. (10.6.7 seems slower than 10.6.0)

• Administrators

as for network on d430 leon might have answer or check wiki... from 10.6.0 to 10.6.3 you could just use combo update or as you stated install with 10.6.3 disk... for 10.6.7 you could put your 10.6.3 graphics kexts in E/E and run edp with option 1 then a rebuild from existing

as for network on d430 leon might have answer or check wiki... from 10.6.0 to 10.6.3 you could just use combo update or as you stated install with 10.6.3 disk... for 10.6.7 you could put your 10.6.3 graphics kexts in E/E and run edp with option 1 then a rebuild from existing

ahh... combo -- there's the word I needed. I mentioned I was osx illiterate... I knew there had to be a way to just get a specific service pack... and google with the version number and the word combo took me right to it.

Yea the wiki has several cards, as well as specific cards that have been re-branded as airport. My question was what card seems to work best? or should I just get a real airport card?

There are several mentions on 10.6.7 and performance issues, like this: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3033131?start=0&tstart=0

I think I'll stay away from it for awhile, especially where I've had issues with it...