create usb image using windows?

jbell

OK... so I have another question -- dual booting XP and OSX... I'm following the wiki, but having issues.

(btw wiki on unmount command.... should be diskutil unmount -- should fix that)

Here's my issue, I run through osx install no problem, I boot to usb stick, terminal, resize, unmount, gptsync -- no issues.

Boot xp sp3 disk, first part of install -- no problem.

Then on reboot I get a 'Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.' You know the kind of error when boot.ini is pointing to an incorrect partition. well, triple checked boot.ini, it's 0/0/0/3 just like it's supposed to be.

Well, I've installed, reinstalled -- multiple times and in various combinations. The only combination that actually let me install xp to completion, was to create a fat32 partition in installed osx (not the boot stick) then bootstick, gptsync, and install. I could install / boot xp. I thought that was the ticket until I booted to stick, chose osx and installed chameleon. Then I only got a single osx option to boot, not dual boot osx/xp. booting into osx didn't let me read the fat32 partition until I did a repair, then I could see my fat32 files in osx... but then xp wouldn't boot. auughh

So... what am I doing wrong? and why does wiki state xp should be on partition 4, when I seem to always come up with partition 3?

edit:

ahh, think I got -- I will update in a bit. I think it helps (understatement) if the windows partition exists when you gptedit.

Steps:

Install osx from bootstick, reboot -- boot again to bootstick

graphical diskutil, partition, shrink partition, create new partition as fat(msdos) exit diskutil

terminal, unmount both osx and new fat partition, gptedit, reboot.

Install xp on fat32 partition

bootstick, choose osx -- install chameleon.

SUCCESS !!!!!!!!

Thats fine now u got it :D.

Btw did u flashed the bios?

standard bios at A09.

When the partition didn't exist during gptedit, xp would have to create and mark active the partition you created during install. My thought was that this new partition was not sync'd with gptedit, which was what was causing my problem.

The route I ended up taking I think was easier than what was on the wiki, and obviously accomplished the task for me.

If you want NTFS, xp will always let you 'convert c:' to convert to ntfs from fat32 after install.

I have D620 + nvidia gfx card.

I have managed to build the usb using windows dd.exe and sucessfully boot it up and go through the setup wizard.

When it is copying the files to the hard drive, I am getting an error:

Install Failed

Max OSX Could not be installed on your computer

The installer could not copy the necessary support files

Click restart to restart the computer and try installing again

I have tried this on two different d620 + nvidia gfx and got the same result.

• Like 1

well... what a deal... it works.

download bzip2 for windows, bunzip the file

download dd for windows http://www.chrysocome.net/dd

and then run

dd --list (to find your usb drive)

dd bs=1M if=sld430usb.img of=\\?\Device\Harddisk1\Partition0 --progress

I have a bootable usb (at least I booted it to the opening screen)

woo hoo !!

Im trying to make this USB stick but im having issues. First of all I do not have a Mac. So im doing the windows evrsion. Where am I supposed to extract the image too( c:\ or in a specific folder)? Is the USB flash drive supposed to be in NTFS, Fat 32 or ? format?

Im trying to make this USB stick but im having issues. First of all I do not have a Mac. So im doing the windows evrsion. Where am I supposed to extract the image too( c:\ or in a specific folder)? Is the USB flash drive supposed to be in NTFS, Fat 32 or ? format?

dd is a 'rawwrite' utility. It doesn't need a usb format, or anything -- it writes the raw data directly to the stick. use the commands you quoted and you'll be fine. Just put your image file in the same directory as the dd utility. Also the second command references the location of your usb stick that you just found from the first command. (however it may be correct as is)Device\Harddisk1\Partition0 (on my computer the c:\ drive is Device\Hardisk0\Partition0 and the first usb stick was \Device\Hardisk1\Partition0

if= means input file

of= means output for file

bs= block size (need to leave at 1M)

dd is a 'rawwrite' utility. It doesn't need a usb format, or anything -- it writes the raw data directly to the stick. use the commands you quoted and you'll be fine. Just put your image file in the same directory as the dd utility. Also the second command references the location of your usb stick that you just found from the first command. (however it may be correct as is)Device\Harddisk1\Partition0 (on my computer the c:\ drive is Device\Hardisk0\Partition0 and the first usb stick was \Device\Hardisk1\Partition0

if= means input file

of= means output for file

bs= block size (need to leave at 1M)

OK i got he usb drive created but it will not boot. Do i have to use bunzip to extract the iso or can i use winzip or winrar? Does my bios in the D630 have to be upgraded before it can boot the usb drive?