New HDD for D430 advice needed

moonman

The 120GB drive in my D430 is starting to go click click click a little too often, so I'm going to buy a replacement. Will probably also buy an external case for the current 120GB, which I might be able to use for occasional backups, just in case it turns out to be okay for a little longer.

Any good suggestions for someone on a budget?

I've found the Samsung HS12YHA 120GB drive on eBay at good prices, usually around 65 Euro including shipping for a new drive.

The BIG question I want to ask is about compatibility, as these drives are often advertised as for Macbook Airs and iPods, and they usually have an Apple logo on them.

I've seen them on sale on Amazon too, including ones with the Apple logo, but people saying they have used the drive in PC notebooks without any problems.

Are all the Samsung HS12YHA drives compatible with the D430? Or were some of them made specially for Apple and are compatible only for the MB Air and iPods?

Thanks for any suggestions.

• Administrators

Hey,

Everything depends on your budget.. i bought a 120gb SSD for mine.. runcore.. best damn investment i ever made :) - Not only is it faster, use less power, makes less noise.. its also more reliable.. these 1,8" pata drives creeps me out :( .. i'v seen to many idea..

In general, you can use any Zif pata 1,8" drive, the d430 use the same interface and type as macbookair1,1

Hey,

Everything depends on your budget.. i bought a 120gb SSD for mine.. runcore.. best damn investment i ever made :) - Not only is it faster, use less power, makes less noise.. its also more reliable.. these 1,8" pata drives creeps me out :( .. i'v seen to many idea..

In general, you can use any Zif pata 1,8" drive, the d430 use the same interface and type as macbookair1,1

Okay, good to know. I've found the 1.8" PATA ZIFs at reasonable prices on eBay, e.g. 65 euro for the 120GB version. Can't afford an SSD at this time. Will probably buy a new 120GB to put in the D430 and then put the (maybe dying) 120GB in an external USB box.

Hey,

Okay, it appears that the Samsung 120GB HS12YHA made for the first Macbook Air is NOT compatible with the D430 and Snow Leopard. Just to let people know, in case they're looking at this drive. Good prices on eBay, but it appears to be incompatible. This is a different drive than the one used in the iPod Classic: eBay sellers usually warn people not to buy the iPod drive to use in notebooks, as it's not compatible.

I've found a few posts on the net re. this drive and some people have reported that it doesn't work in the first Macbook Air. Some have said that Apple may have made the size of the blocks too small, so that it works with the iPod but not with laptops. No idea.

The HS12YHA drive works perfectly in Windows 7. With Snow Leopard, it install perfectly, but I get a GTP error on reboot if I try to boot from the HDD. I can boot from the USB pen though, and then in Chameleon I can select the internal HDD with Snow Leo and it boot perfectly. Also runs perfectly. So I could actually use the D430 just fine, but I'd always have to boot from the USB stick!! It might be a partial solution. I could also partition a big USB pen (16GB or 32GB) with the Snow Leo installer on the first 8GB partition, then use the rest of the pen for backups and emergencies. Oh well.

• Administrators

i had a issue similar to the one your having... it happened when i recently upgraded my chameleon boot loader from the one in EDP... to fix it well i haven't ... :( i wound up having to install chameleon to efi instead this way or this way then used EFI Mounter.app to add my /Extra folder but it was better then having to use a usb stick all the time and works just as well. but all kext changes have to be done on efi partition the one in the root of osx will have no effect on booting properly like before.

If my case, i had to mount my efi part and format, then install chameleon again...

Many thanks to Bronxteck and Leon for your super fast replies. The news is encouraging. I've tried the methods that Bronxteck linked in his last post, but I can't seem to get the D430 to boot from the HDD. I've tried a few times, carefully following the instructions, but I can't see what I'm doing wrong. The EFI partition mounts okay, I've installed the boot file to it, then copied the files from my Snow Leopard GUID partition, made the EFI partition active, etc. But I still get the usual GPT error on reboot, if I try to boot from internal HDD.

I just did a fresh install of Snow Leopard, so I don't think it was corrupted.

So, if I mount the EFI partition, can I install the Chameleon package and EDP directly to it? Then make the EFI partition active and boot from it? By making EFI active, will the Snow Leopard partition be ignored at startup and the system will start up automatically from EFI partition?