Speedstep stopped working

bobdamnit

Like the topic title/description say, Speedstep has for some reason stopped working. It worked yesterday, indicated by Coolbook Controller, but today it is not. It used to fluctuate between 1002Mhz and 1667Mhz, and everywhere inbetween. Now, it seems as though when I start the D520, its running at 100%, or 1.6Ghz. Even if I start the machine on battery, it will run at 100%.

Here's what I've noticed so far:

Battery start: 1.6Ghz until I plug in the charger. Immediate drop to 1.0Ghz

Power start: 1.6Ghz until I remove the charger. Immediate drop to 1.0Ghz.

Absolutely nothing has changed. Coolbook will NOT run through the stepping procedures. It attempts, but looking at my CPU speed, its not really doing it. Although, it will throw the CPU Load up to 100%, which kills my laptop.

Running EDP 1.8, and am NOT using Apple's version of Speedstep. I have backed up /Extra via EDP and tried using Apple's version of Speedstep. No good. Still won't work.

Could this perhaps be a charger issue? Lately I've been getting screens that say "We were unable to determine your charger" when I power the machine up with the power adaptor plugged in. It doesn't happen all the time. Maybe 1/20 boots.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrators

"We were unable to determine your charger"

i have never seen that screen... is it in bios boot or in osx? dell chargers have a chip that puts out a pulse like a "rf id" wich lets the laptop know it's from dell they tend to go bad... some people have modd'ed the Power supply and placed the chip inside the laptop instead... i have never done the mod.

"We were unable to determine your charger"

i have never seen that screen... is it in bios boot or in osx? dell chargers have a chip that puts out a pulse like a "rf id" wich lets the laptop know it's from dell they tend to go bad... some people have modd'ed the Power supply and placed the chip inside the laptop instead... i have never done the mod.

I see this screen directly before BIOS. As soon as you tap the power button, it beeps twice and displays this screen. Like I said, it only shows up about 1/20 boots.

Coincidentally, I fire up my D520 from sleep, and it kernel panics. I know what caused it, and its no big deal. But I reboot the D520 and speedstep is now functioning properly.

It hasn't worked for a week, and now it does. I did absolutely nothing to change it, so I dunno. I'll keep you posted.

bad kernel catch most likely and the kp caused a rebuild

My thoughts exactly, although I had forced the rebuild to no avail.

I'm thinking AppleJack (Great single-user command utility!) helped out by fixing some permissions that just wouldn't fix in OS X. Its either that, or "re-docking" CoolBook Controller fixed it. (I used Dock Dodger to remove the Dock icon and make Coolbook just a menu application. Works great after you setup your voltages/speed.)

And yes Leon, I'm using the latest version of Coolbook.

• Administrators

Hi,

Lets do a test.

1. Disable coolbook

2. Download the attached zip

3. Put the kext in /e/e

4. Put the app on the desktop

5. Run edptool, select option 1 and then option a

6. Reboot

7. Run the app

Can you see it going up/down as you are using your computer ?

pstate.zip

(What you are testing here, is default in 1.9)

Hi,

Lets do a test.

1. Disable coolbook

2. Download the attached zip

3. Put the kext in /e/e

4. Put the app on the desktop

5. Run edptool, select option 1 and then option a

6. Reboot

7. Run the app

Can you see it going up/down as you are using your computer ?

pstate.zip

(What you are testing here, is default in 1.9)

Problem is back. Temps are extremely high, at 88*C! (Confirmed by BIOS)

Kext loads, and App loads just fine. Doesn't appear to work properly however.

Menu shows the following CPU states: 1660Mhz, 1494Mhz, 1328Mhz, 1162Mhz, and 996Mhz.

When selecting any option, nothing will stay selected. (It stays checkmarked until I close the menu. When I check again, nothing is checkmarked.) Menu icon shows no movement whatsoever. I don't know what to do, honestly.

hmm.. do you have another PSU you could test with ?

Actually, I do. I borrowed my brothers from his Latitude D830. (He won't let me put OS X on it.) Same problem, no speedstep.

I've narrowed it down to the bootloader. I did install the version of Chameleon that came with EDP 1.8 and I just thought of it. I'm going to try dropping rev. 667 back in there and see if that fixes it. Other than the bootloader, nothing has changed and I cannot imagine why its acting up.