D520 LAN/Ethernet not connecting

laserboy

I have a relatively plain D520 - 2G ram, 160G HD, Bios A08.

Everything installed well, I updated to 10.6.7, I have wifi, I used the EDPTool 1.8 (great tool!) and the system seems to work really well.

Except for the Ethernet. If I have no cable, it says so. If I plug in a cable, it knows there is a cable but it never will get an ip and self assigns the ip. I can do nothing with it.

The lan card is a broadcom 4401. It shows up in the system profile. I have tried max_valid_dma_addr=1024 as a kernel flag. Nothing works.

Any suggestions on how to fix this really annoying issue?

Thanks,

M

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a relatively plain D520 - 2G ram, 160G HD, Bios A08.

Everything installed well, I updated to 10.6.7, I have wifi, I used the EDPTool 1.8 (great tool!) and the system seems to work really well.

Except for the Ethernet. If I have no cable, it says so. If I plug in a cable, it knows there is a cable but it never will get an ip and self assigns the ip. I can do nothing with it.

The lan card is a broadcom 4401. It shows up in the system profile. I have tried max_valid_dma_addr=1024 as a kernel flag. Nothing works.

Any suggestions on how to fix this really annoying issue?

Thanks,

M

Try using my BCM440X.kext. Drop it into /Extra/Extensions, then when OS X asks you if you would like to copy/replace, say yes. Then fire up EDP and do selection 1, followed by a new build using current extensions. I believe the option is "A".

Yup, after checking, its selection 1, followed by option "A". You'll see option "A" at the bottom of the EDP Terminal window. It says "Perform new build using existing kexts".

If my BCM440X kext doesn't work, I'm not sure what else to try. I used to have this problem in Leopard, and sometimes reinstalling OS X would fix the issue. (I have no clue what ethernet card my D520 has, honestly.)

AppleBCM440XEthernet.kext.zip

Try using my BCM440X.kext. Drop it into /Extra/Extensions, then when OS X asks you if you would like to copy/replace, say yes. Then fire up EDP and do selection 1, followed by a new build using current extensions. I believe the option is "A".

Yup, after checking, its selection 1, followed by option "A". You'll see option "A" at the bottom of the EDP Terminal window. It says "Perform new build using existing kexts".

If my BCM440X kext doesn't work, I'm not sure what else to try. I used to have this problem in Leopard, and sometimes reinstalling OS X would fix the issue. (I have no clue what ethernet card my D520 has, honestly.)

Tried it, but it did not work. Same issue as before. Really frustrating. It is simply not able to get an IP address (I think).

then try putting a ip adress manually and use it that way.

Its a good suggestion. I can only do that at home and when I set up a static route, it would say connected but would not connect. Part of me feels that it is lying to me.

On the off-chance that this is right, I decided to image my setup and repartition for testing purposes. I now have 2 partitions, a flawlessly (sort of) working partition of OS X 10.6.7, and a very basic partition with OS X 10.6.0.

I can confirm that LAN works in 10.6. However, somewhere in the update process, it stops working. In 10.6.7, my LAN doesn't work either. Tomorrow, I'm going to update to EVERY point, and figure out where it stops working.

However, it doesn't make any sense to me. In my second partition running 10.6.0, I used the BCM440X.kext that is in EDP1.8, and LAN worked perfectly. It would auto assign an IP address via DHCP and allow me online with no issues. But in 10.6.7, using the SAME kext, it assigns me a loopback address, and NOTHING I do will change it.

I just don't get it.

well it doesn't look like it's going to get any better in the next update release either 10.6.8

Probably not. I'm not too concerned with the LAN being broken. I rarely use it, honestly. But I'd like to have it working for others that have the BCM4401 and don't have a compatible wireless card, or do not have the means to get one. (They're destitue, cards are unavailable in their region, etc..)

I did find that 10.6.3 was the last version of OS X Snow Leopard that would let me BCM4401 work properly. Anything past that, and the card becomes ignorant.

(Also, anyone else notice that when you adjust the display brightness on their Latitude, the on-screen bezel doesn't display in OS X? Yet, when I push the "Pause" key, it attempts to adjust the display brightness and shows the bezel, however it doesn't actually adjust the brightness. It tries to increase the brightness, but wont. I haven't found a key for dim brightness lol.)